1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if God were one of us?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Muffled, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Penumbra

Penumbra Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,440
    Yes, I remember it was resolved for the viewers when the young man version of god visited her. It was a difficult story arc after things had gone fairly smoothly for a while (during the transition from season 1 to 2, I think). Eventually they got into the story arc where they introduced a villain character but didn't get much play with it until it was cancelled.

The point of bringing it up, was that it's an example of having a really rational reason to believe something and yet still having doubts and issues based on the question of whether the experiences themselves even truly happened externally or not.

2. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,296
    Religion:
    Christian
    Krishna spoke from a Hindu perspective. This is what I would expect from a person trying to represent a religion's concept of God.

Jesus on the other hand talked about things outside His religion's perspective. Inany case one would expect God to be consistent but their is a distinct dichotomy between what God says in the Bible and what Hinduism says. (I can't say I ever read a direct quote by God in the Vedas)

3. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,296
    Religion:
    Christian
    I suppose this is helpful. From one person it could be attributed to someone being zany but when two diverse people give the exact same message it becomes more believable.

Mt 18:16 But if he hear thee not, take with thee one or two more, that at the mouth of two witnesses or three every word may be established.

John 5:31 ΒΆ If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.
    32 It is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true.

4. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,296
    Religion:
    Christian
    I recognize the God in me but I do not recognize the god in you. How do you verify that he is the one true God?

This is basically my wife's assertion. I have never had God prove Himself in me to anyone. He has proven Himself to me.

5. Breathe

Breathe Hostis humani generis

Ratings:
    +1,773
    Religion:
    Syncretic, Personal Panentheism
    Because it's the same God for me as it is for you. ;)

There's a difference between a human saying it, and experiencing Godliness, in my opinion.

6. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,296
    Religion:
    Christian
    I doubt that Jesus was crucified for being God but for saying that He was. They didn't seriously believe that He was. However anyone espousing beliefs contrary to established orthodoxy has been viewed as dangerous and taken seriously. Arius (Arian heresy) was taken seriously.

7. Tbone

Tbone Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Well, He did it once so you would have to compare what He did and said then to what He would be doing and saying now.
    After all God changes not.

• Like Like x 1
  8. no-body

no-body Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +248
    Depending on how they phrased it I would either say "congratulations you've figured it out" or "Get thee to a psychiatrist, quickly"

9. sojourner

sojourner Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Ratings:
    +5,328
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    We'd have Jesus.

10. uu_sage

uu_sage Active Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Since God is spirit and transcends naming or form, I don't think most people would be able to grasp the mystery of God nor could they handle the experience of God first hand because encountering God first hand would likely challenge people's narrow images or beliefs about God.

11. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,296
    Religion:
    Christian
    No doubt Joan's Catholic parents were challenged but more from the fact that they had wandered from their faith. Catholicism is replete with personal appearances although Mary seems most active.

12. Mestemia

Mestemia Advocatus Diaboli
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,617
    it would be pretty easy to figure out amongst us was god.
    just look for the one who cannot stop throwing up.

13. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,296
    Religion:
    Christian
    Actually God manages to hold his stomach pretty well but has been known to get quite angry with those who purposely do evil. Most of us wouldn't encounter either reaction from Him.

We can use Jesus as an example or me. I don't throw up when people are shot in a theatre and in fact do not become angry but it does make me sad that the devil has so much influence over people's lives.

14. Gjallarhorn

Gjallarhorn N'yog-Sothep

Ratings:
    +970
    I didn't realize you were God.

15. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,296
    Religion:
    Christian
    It is a simple matter of understanding Christianity.

Eph 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
    18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
    19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

16. Gjallarhorn

Gjallarhorn N'yog-Sothep

Ratings:
    +970
    So much for humility, huh?

17. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,296
    Religion:
    Christian
    I call a spade a spade. Does that appear to be a lack of himility to you? Why?

18. Gjallarhorn

Gjallarhorn N'yog-Sothep

Ratings:
    +970
    If it's you calling it so, then yes. God on the other hand...

19. sojourner

sojourner Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Ratings:
    +5,328
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    If we were sure, we'd serve God out of obligation, greed, fear. This way, we serve God out of love.

20. Oak of Justice

Ratings:
    +1
    There is god and there is God. There is the son and there is the Father. The son of man will come at a time you least expect. Could be he is here and he does not know you.

#40 Oak of Justice, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012