• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if God were one of us?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I am not a genocidal maniac.

It takes really disturbed thinking to perceive God in this way.
From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Kings+2:23-24&version=NIV

Not that hard really. Just gotta read.

Satyamavejayanti

Muffled;3005134] (I can't say I ever read a direct quote by God in the Vedas)

Just to let you know.

YajurVeda 40.17

17.I am the light of knowledge, The Spirit yonder brighter then the Sun, the Spirit dwelling there am I. OM is my name.

Huey09

He who struggles with God
Well if God is one of us I hope its just hope its exactly like the movie "Dogma". That version of God was fun!:shout

If someone came up to me and said they were God, I would believe them ... lets take a lil walk on the water bud. Because you never know ;)

Muffled

Jesus in me
Just to let you know.

YajurVeda 40.17

17.I am the light of knowledge, The Spirit yonder brighter then the Sun, the Spirit dwelling there am I. OM is my name.

I think I remember something to that extent although I don't remember 'Om" being represented as a name. Could it be a matter of translation because "yonder" sure looks like a suspicious translation.

I could use a little context on that as well. He just pops out saying something in the middle of a text?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Well if God is one of us I hope its just hope its exactly like the movie "Dogma". That version of God was fun!:shout

I haven't seen it but after reading about it in Wikipedia, I can only speculate that it is far from reality. It probably is a lot more fun than the reality.

Satyamavejayanti

I think I remember something to that extent although I don't remember 'Om" being represented as a name. Could it be a matter of translation because "yonder" sure looks like a suspicious translation.

I could use a little context on that as well. He just pops out saying something in the middle of a text?

How is yonder suspicious?

No this is not the middle, this is the Last Mantra of the Yajur Veda.

Its a common belief that OM is the first and highest name of the supreme being, among Hindus.

Vultar

So 1. How would you know it was God.
2. If an unlikely person told you He was God would you believe Him or think He was nuts?

Throughout history, many "Prophets" have spoken with spirits thinking they are a God (or God's Rep). This is the basis for most of the religions in the world. (and the others are generally money making scams.)

I would not believe a person claiming to be God as such a thing doesn't exist (in my opinion, so that makes it pretty easy). However, if a spirit was to appear before me and was able to communicate, I would listen... (not always believe them as some lie like rugs). :D

Muffled

Jesus in me
Throughout history, many "Prophets" have spoken with spirits thinking they are a God (or God's Rep). This is the basis for most of the religions in the world. (and the others are generally money making scams.)

I would not believe a person claiming to be God as such a thing doesn't exist (in my opinion, so that makes it pretty easy). However, if a spirit was to appear before me and was able to communicate, I would listen... (not always believe them as some lie like rugs). :D

How then does one know whether the spirit a person has spoken to is God? Are you saying that thier descriptions of God would help you recognize Him?

How did you reach this opinion?

I would agree with that.