• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What evidence for God

Orias

Left Hand Path
What is your understanding of empathy? I have already consorted with others on this forum board as to what it is. How do view it?

The attribution of One's own feelings to an object or subject.

I use the actual definition for words, but I don't know about most people.

Well the Abrahamic god probably makes up the majority. So you are not by any means falling short of your guess.

I know that, I've had plenty of experience ;)

However, the % sign goes after the 99. So it would be 99%. When it really isn't.

Why are you telling me this?

Gloone

Why are you telling me this?
Because I posted to a post of a post that you posted to and this just happen to be the post that I posted on. You just happen to get stuck with it. Now you must reply as to why %99 does or doesn't make sense.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Because I posted to a post of a post that you posted to and this just happen to be the post that I posted on. You just happen to get stuck with it. Now you must reply as to why %99 does or doesn't make sense.

What does make sense these days?

Wombat

What does make sense these days?

Grand Marnier and apricot nectar on ice, consumed under a second storey bull nose veranda overlooking-
great-ocean-road2.jpg

Makes sense to me! :beach:

RitalinO.D.

Grand Marnier and apricot nectar on ice, consumed under a second storey bull nose veranda overlooking-
great-ocean-road2.jpg

Makes sense to me! :beach:

nice and secluded. Just need enough money to develop a little living space, and a boat dock, and welcome to paradise :)

Wombat

nice and secluded. Just need enough money to develop a little living space, and a boat dock, and welcome to paradise :)

Yes and no. Some 2-3 million tourist travel that road every year, development is restricted to small costal communities surrounded by the highly flamable bush you see.... and a "boat dock"?....its called 'The Shipwreck Coast' with good reason. Great for diving on old wrecks......if you like the company of big White Pointers.;)

"paradise" is often best viewed from a distance...through the lens of Grand Marnier and apricot nectar on ice.....

:)

RitalinO.D.

Yes and no. Some 2-3 million tourist travel that road every year, development is restricted to small costal communities surrounded by the highly flamable bush you see.... and a "boat dock"?....its called 'The Shipwreck Coast' with good reason. Great for diving on old wrecks......if you like the company of big White Pointers.;)

"paradise" is often best viewed from a distance...through the lens of Grand Marnier and apricot nectar on ice.....

:)

Was not aware of that. Just looked like a nice place to chill and take in some sun...and a few Coronas

KlLLUMINATI

Account Closed
Simple, what evidence is there of there being a god, a higher being, or any of the like?

I can no more prove to you that God is real than I can prove to you that I love my family. If you are convinced I don't love my family, no matter what I say or do will be dismissed by you as invalid. It is your presuppositions that are the problem, not whether or not God exists.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
*wheels out an MRI machine and a box of chemical tracers*

It'd be pretty easy to prove you love your family, if we had slightly more biochemical knowledge.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Doesn't really matter if there is something other than dust.
I fully, willingly and adamantly defy, deny, reject, and despise every single picture painted of god I have seen and heard.

Your god is no exception.

This and several more postings.....

Are we really any closer to affirming the existence of God?

Should the non-believers be allowed the final say?

cottage

If the universe exists, what created the universe? If you choose that it randomly just created, you are in a contradiction.

To satisfy the logic necessarily something eternal exists by its own nature, if that isn't posited, you lead into contradiction, because nothing (prior to big bang) cannot create something (big bang).

The Eternity of the world

One of the greatest theologians of all time, St Thomas Aquinas, acknowledged that the universe needs no beginning: “It would seem that the universe of creatures, called the world, had no beginning but existed from eternity” (Apparently St Thomas saw no contradiction or competition in this since he believed all things existent have their being enabled by God, if not their creation).

“For everything which begins to exist is a possible being before it exists, otherwise it would be impossible for it to exist. If therefore the world began to exist it was a possible being before it began to exist, but possible being is matter, which is in potentiality to existence, which results from a form, and to non-existence, which results from privation of form. If therefore the world began to exist, matter must have existed before the world. But matter cannot exist without form, while the matter of the world with its form is the world. Therefore the world existed before it began to exist: which is impossible.” Summa Theologica 1a, 46

It’s not a particularly clear passage, but Aquinas seems to be saying that everything that exists has the potential to exist, for otherwise it wouldn’t exist. The world is not just a possible being but also an actual being. Anything can exist as a possibility, but the universe exists in fact and its possible existence is entailed by its being actual. So if the world as a possible being exists then the potential for matter must have already existed. The world as a possible being is matter; its potential results from form, and non-existence of the world would result from the privation of form because matter cannot exist without form. So if the world began to exist, matter must have existed before the world. And matter cannot exist without form: for matter and form is how the world is comprised. Therefore the world existing before it began to exist (the world existed before it existed) is absurd! Thus the world had no beginning. On this account the eternity of the world (ie the Universe) is established, and it has the means of its evolution and development contained within it. The principle here is that something exists, has always existed but is subject to change.

Now there is a problem for those who want to argue to God as an external creator: The world doesn’t logically have to exist, and yet it does exist. So we invite a contradiction if we were to say ‘There is no world’, since it is from the world that we must make our arguments, but we don’t come across the same difficulty when we say ‘There is no God.’ For we know the world exists, and there is no contradiction in saying it has always existed (the BBE notwithstanding!). But since we don’t know ‘God exists’ is true it can’t therefore be said that there is nothing to contradict his existing from eternity. It is also the case that, logically, we can only speak of God in relation to the world, whereas we can speak of the world without any reference to God; the notion of ‘God’, therefore, is shown to be dependent upon the world. The universe doesn’t demand an explanation for the way it exists. So if the universe is self-sustaining then why does it need to be sustained further? The answer is that it doesn’t, unless there is an ideological need for a sustainer.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
This and several more postings.....

Are we really any closer to affirming the existence of God?
Nope.

Should the non-believers be allowed the final say?
"final say"?
What are you talking about?

I have the final say on MY opinions concerning god.
I accept the possibility that god might exist.

All I have been saying is that there is not a portrait painted of a god that I would accept as my favored/chosen deity and certainly not one that I feel deserves my worship.

This does not mean that those gods do not exist.
merely that if they do exist, they can kiss my....

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Nope.

"final say"?
What are you talking about?

I have the final say on MY opinions concerning god.
I accept the possibility that god might exist.

All I have been saying is that there is not a portrait painted of a god that I would accept as my favored/chosen deity and certainly not one that I feel deserves my worship.

This does not mean that those gods do not exist.
merely that if they do exist, they can kiss my....

Of all people to say so....
You might say that Man has created God?...and you object?

Yet you conceded the possibility of an Almighty?

Whose backside is then the target?

McBell

Of all people to say so....
You might say that Man has created God?...and you object?

Yet you conceded the possibility of an Almighty?

Whose backside is then the target?
I would say gods backside is the target.
For those who would like so much for him to actually exist...

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I would say gods backside is the target.
For those who would like so much for him to actually exist...

On the contrary....for the non-believer....the continual denial....nay saying...
for those who refuse to believe.....God is the target.

For the believer....God is hope of continued existence.

I suppose there is no hope for you.

McBell

On the contrary....for the non-believer....the continual denial....nay saying...
for those who refuse to believe.....God is the target.

For the believer....God is hope of continued existence.

I suppose there is no hope for you.
Ah, more faith based wishful thinking on your part?
Or are you merely desperate for the last word?

Tell you what, since this discussion is going absolutely nowhere, I shall leave the thread and allow you the last word.