• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does your religion / philosophy say about medical marijuana?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
...well, I was about to say diddly squat, but apparently there's a few sources that claim the plant may have been used in seiðr by völvur (Nordic female shamans) in connection with the Goddess Freya. One of the sources I found claims:

The richest archeological material from Viking times in Norway is the Oseberg find. Two women were buried in a mound in the county of Vestfold around the year 850 in a splendid ship with ample equipment. The find includes a small piece of hempen material, the use of which has not been determined, but even more interesting is the fact that four seeds of Cannabis sativa were also found. One of these seeds was discovered in a small leather pouch.

The well respected archeologist, Anne Stine Ingstad, who was responsible for excavating the medieval Norse settlements in Newfoundland, is prominent among many historians who believe the younger of the two buried women -usually called the Oseberg Queen - was a priestess of the great Norse goddess Freya, and not only a secular queen as the first excavators thought. Ingstad sees the presence of the Cannabis seed in the (talismanic) pouch as an indication of possible ritual use of cannabis as an intoxicant in pre-christian Scandinavia.

The find of hemp seeds in the Oseberg ship may be interpreted in various ways. Without a doubt the presence of these seeds proves that the hemp plant had reached Norway by the early Viking days, but we do not know whether the seeds were grown in Norway, or how they arrived in the country. We also do not know how the hemp, once cultivated, was utilized.

The article does later point out that it could have been there not just for ritual purposes, but for its rarity in the area at the time.

But it does seem that, if it was used ritually, then its potential medical properties may have been unknown to the Tribes. If it was found in the pouch of a völva, then its use may have been forbidden to non-practitioners of seiðr.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Let's see, in Islam, the main rule is that what clouds the mind, e.g. makes it absent and non functional while staying awake, is forbidden for normal consumption. This means it is allowed for absolute necessity like medical use. Being awake but mindless could make people unconsciously do things they do not mean or want, like rape and murder. And it happens all the time around the world.

Another things is that potentially harmful consumable have mixed opinions in Islam, and one of those opinions is being forbidden.

Having that introduction said, I dunno the exact effect of smoking weed, but I'd relate it to the above and conclude my own judgement for my self. All I know for now is that it is potentially harmful, so I'd stay away from it. I mean, even smoking tobacco hurts healthy non smokers around you with the smell.

Last edited:

ametist

In carlos Castaneda books his shamanic teacher uses mind altering natural remedies to make certain points clear to Carlos at the begining. I think they are pretty common in shamanic tradition.

I tried marijuhana and mushroom in a country where it is lcompletely lawful to use them just to check the claims. it is pretty much like wearing unadjusted high prescription glasses. It is just altering your perception of outer world and in deep doses, with mushrooms etc, really can bring you into a situation that makes you wonder if there is anything beyond this reality. But most religions say this is the case anyway. So you can take it as a faith to begin with and can continue on more advisable practices like meditation, praying, fasting etc to understand it completely or you can try them for yourself and feel yourself silly for walking around with unadjusted high prescription glasses on.

Last edited:

Viker

Häxan
If it's proven beneficial in treatment then can not see any wrong. Plenty of other medicines have potentially worse side effects, they're still used because the benefits appear to outweigh the negatives.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
It is a sick joke.

Why is that? Its benefits outnumber its cautions. These benefits extend beyond health benefits, but financial as well. Theoretically it could reduce crime as well. .7% (estimated but could be an old source) of the prison population is in for possession of marijuana charges. Imagine if it was never illegal to begin with, our prisons would be down by .7% of its population. Not to mention, its illegality causes legal problems. People will do anything to avoid prison, and for some this includes acting out of fear and irrationality when they are about to get busted for marijuana.

I doubt many murders have taken place over JUST marijuana, but you have to consider that even if there are some, it's because it is illegal. It becoming legal would reduce the crimes surrounding it that are forced to happen in order for people to protect themselves from the law (and quite ironically people feel the need to do that, when the law is supposed to protect us instead it treats people like they're terrorists).

Not to mention the health benefits. It's been known for thousands of years that marijuana can be used for medical purposes successfully, and is safer than alternatives; that being multiple chemicals being artificially bunched together into a pill or liquid and have the patient risk their lives taking the medicine. Marijuana has never once been overdosed on.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
In Judaism, health takes priority over ritual. If medical marijuana was proven to help someone with a serious medical issue, it could be justified for that person.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Hinduism , as far as I know, is neutral to marijuana in general. However, I have no issue with it and 100% support medical marijuana.

Actually, now that I think about it, there are some Sadhus in India who regularly use marijuana as part of their religious experiences.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I would say just like sweet treats, alcohol, and lots of other stuff - it's advisable that if you partake that you mind the concepts moderation and responsibility. All concepts of good, holiness, etc. have to do with holistic well-being of the person, group, tribe, community. It's built into our language. Propaganda and war on drugs make it difficult to ascertain the true harm or benefit of different drugs. There is a factor of respecting the laws of the land if they are reasonable and wisely picking your battles.

I'm one of those that use food and drink for medicine and well-being...staying away from pharmaceuticals and recreation drugs both.

Brinne

Shintoism, as far as I know, has no rules concerning Marijuana. However, I do know that we have traditions advising against creating potent and unpleasant smells through lighting things on fire. It's not necessarily a rule but its considered impolite, from what I heard, to create a potent smell that could bother others. Which is why we don't use incense and why smoking meat and disposing of bodies with a Shinto village downwind of you was considered a major no-no.

Another more well known rule in Shinto is to respect the law of the land so if Marijuana is illegal in your country/state then it would go against the rules of the religion to smoke it; unless you had some sort of medical permission to do so.