• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does spirituality encompass?

MissAlice

For instance, these are the things I hear a lot but have a hard time grasping:

I want to become more spiritual.

I want to spiritually grow.

I want to attain spirituality.

I want more spirituality in my life.

What does spirituality encompass and what does it mean to be spiritual or to become more spiritually aware?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Alice, the answer to this question will differ from person to person because I think different traditions or groups have a different concept of Spirituality.

I'll give you my take on it.

Spirituality delves into Spirit. (whereas Materialism is subject to Matter)

Spirit deals with God, the Soul/Self. Spirituality as about coming to know God and Self. It is about looking within your Self to discover reality. This is why meditation is a great practice. It is a means of looking into the self. Gradually, this practice will have profound influence on your life. People experience stronger intuition, wisdom, understanding and connection with God (however one percieves God- whether through nature or as one's father/creater etc.).

So another way of looking at it, spirituality is a way of life that helps one to become conscious of his/her intimate connecting with creation/existence.

MissAlice

Ah so it revolves around the state of consciousness?

I am curious as to what a person means when they want to improve consciencelessly or go to a higher conscious, but I guess as you say, it differs from person to person.

Thank you both for your input.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
To me, spirituality is about living authentically. Whether it's putting your values into action, or following your bliss in your choice of career, it's about expressing who you truly are.

Erebus

To me, spirituality is about living authentically. Whether it's putting your values into action, or following your bliss in your choice of career, it's about expressing who you truly are.

I agree with this 100%
frubals :D

... when I have some more to give out :(

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Hi Alice,

When I'm outside in nature I'm often stopped dead in my tracks by the wonder of it. High mountains, Atlantic storms, a curious hare or a daydreming fox that cross my path enrapture me.
To my mind spirituality is what's involved when my thinking mind tries to reconcile itself with this other pre-reflective self.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Then just BE yourself.

Then don't expect miracles. Be patient.

No. Wrong idea. You want manifest your inherent spirituality.

Then BE who you are! Stop projecting onto reality and simply watch how reality behaves without your interaction. Even then though, your observation is another form of interaction. Just BE. There is a blossom already inside you... let it bloom. Being true to yourself will help but it can be more difficult than many would imagine.

What does spirituality encompass and what does it mean to be spiritual or to become more spiritually aware?
I'm not sure really, because I don't generally use such terms due to the religious baggage that often comes with such thinking. I guess the best thing is be yourself, have compassion for yourself and the rest will come eventually. It's not a perfect system, but it does work.

Boethiah

Penguin
Being yourself is one of the most important parts of spirituality. Many religions exist to offer guides in spirituality, but each path is different because it is a personal path (and each person is different). Just be yourself. Don't try too hard though. Like, don't think about your thoughts, just think them. Easier said than done. Being completely honest with yourself is also an aspect, but that is also hard. I struggle with this.

Ozzie

For instance, these are the things I hear a lot but have a hard time grasping:

Maybe your just too comfortable in your current life circumstances to "become" spiritual. Don't worry, life will test you and then maybe you will become spiritual, or maybe you won't. One can't learn to become spiritual, and if you are not, then you should reject it rather than search for it, since your test will come.

A-ManESL

Spirituality is the inner path through which we can learn more about ourselves. Most of the time we are too wrapped in ourselves as perceived by others, we don’t get too much time to think of ourselves as we really are. Spirituality provides a path for us to know ourselves objectively, stripped of all ideas and notions the world has of personality, appearance and utility. It is essentially a means of exploring other dimensions of ourselves.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I spent some time debating the definition of spirituality on another forum not so long ago. Basically it was me (an agnostic atheist) discussing the concept with another atheist who insisted that he was spiritual. I argued that there are likely better words to use than spiritual if one is talking about a worldview that does not include deities, magic, metaphysics, or supernatural forces.

But I have come to conclude that he was more correct and that spirituality can encompass things outside of simply beliefs regarding the supernatural. Calling myself spiritual is easier than saying I'm a philosophical, emotional, curious person that has an interest in world religions and human constructs regarding the divine,the highest virtues, the deepest meanings of existence, and so forth. To me it's about thinking about who we are, why we are, where we are going, and what could be. My mind is rarely engrossed in physical activities and instead is mostly drifting and tinkering with ideas, concepts, beliefs, and meanings.

I guess a heightened emotional awareness/connection regarding deities, the world, humanity, nature, etc.
I agree with this for the most part.

-Lyn

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
What does spirituality encompass?
Greetings MissAlice. In the view of some, spirituality is the quest and practice of the direct experience of the divine. Mysticism might be considered a specific case in which the direct experience is of oneness; that is, identity with the divine is realized. Becoming more spiritual might refer to in-delving more into these pursuits and often includes, as noted above, meditation and looking within.