• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does "one" mean?

Brian2

Veteran Member
Give me a break. Why on earth would you go to a Catholic website for information on Mormonism? Must be because you like how they spin our doctrine. I'm actually surprised that a Catholic website would stoop so low. That's the kind of thing I'd expect from CARM or Jack Chick. Look, I don't know whether you're a Catholic or not, but you sound more like a fundamentalist Christian, the kind of Christian who thinks everybody's damned to hell except them. If we were talking about the Catholic doctrine of transubstantiation, a fundamentalist website would explain it like this: "Catholics are cannibals. They have this weird, non-Biblical ritual where they eat Jesus' flesh and drink his blood every Sunday. 'Hey, Pete! Pass me a thigh!'" Now does that strike you as just a little bit disingenuous? It should.

By the way, the fact that you didn't bother to answer the questions I asked you did not escape me. But that's okay. If you want to believe that God sent Himself to earth to atone for our sins, fine. It you find it logical to believe that Jesus prayed to Himself, okay. If you think He told His Apostles that He was going to be with Himself in Heaven and that He was greater than Himself, who am I to argue.

Well, maybe that's because you don't actually understand Mormon doctrine anywhere near as well as you'd like us to believe. None of our beliefs "deny the Bible." That's just plain stupid.

Finally, for your information, here's what the Book of Mormon has to say about the relationship between the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. You might now consider it as authoritative a source on Mormonism as your Catholic website, but I can assure you that it is.

2 Nephi 31:21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end.

Mormon 7:7 And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, which are one God, in a state of happiness which hath no end.

P.S. Mormons believe that God lives in Heaven, despite what your Catholic website may say. Any 5-year-old Mormon kid knows that.

I could have gone to other websites which may have been fundamentalist and said similar things. There are other "so called" Gods.
1Cor 8:5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many so-called gods and lords), 6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we exist. And there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we exist.…
For a Mormon there are other real Gods, and I don't know the ins and outs of it but some of these Gods may be higher than the Father.
I don't really know if differences in opinion about such things matters to God, but I can say that the Biblical view is that there is just One true God.
With the quotes in the link I gave compared to the ones you gave there seems to be a contradiction in the teachings of Joseph Smith, but that is your problem. There are other Gods also in Mormonism.
By what you said above it seems you have a wrong view of the Trinity doctrine. It is not that the Father sent Himself or any of the things you said. That just shows a misunderstanding.
And yes I do know that the Father did not die on the cross because the Father was not a man. But Jesus said that the Father was in Him. I doubt that Mormonism would say that. It seems that Mormonism has a committee instead of just one God.
So anyway that is my view about the Mormon concept of God and Gods compared with what the Bible tells us.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
For a Mormon there are other real Gods, and I don't know the ins and outs of it but some of these Gods may be higher than the Father.
That is absolutely false, and I have said so three or four times already. I am sick and tired of you trying to tell me what Mormons believe.

By what you said above it seems you have a wrong view of the Trinity doctrine. It is not that the Father sent Himself or any of the things you said. That just shows a misunderstanding.
And yes I do know that the Father did not die on the cross because the Father was not a man.
What I was doing was pointing out the logical inconsistencies in the doctrine of the Trinity.

But Jesus said that the Father was in Him. I doubt that Mormonism would say that.
Of course we would. We'd interpret it, though, as Jesus meant it when He said it.

It seems that Mormonism has a committee instead of just one God.
You're so full of it I can hardly believe it. I have clarified LDS doctrine. You continue to imply that I either don't know what I'm talking about or that I am lying about our beliefs. That's insulting, and I don't deserve that.

So anyway that is my view about the Mormon concept of God and Gods compared with what the Bible tells us.
Yeah, well, there's not much I can do about your intentional ignorance. It doesn't matter what I say; you just proceed to tell me what Mormons really believe.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is not divided because the Son is in the Father and the Father is in the Son and they are both in the Spirit and the Spirit is in them.
I don't want to pretend that understanding God is meant to be easy, I just believe what the New Testament says and don't see a problem comparing it to the Hebrew Scriptures.
Do you think that not believing Jesus is the Jewish Messiah is what gives Jews a problem seeing the fit?
No matter what God shows Himself to be, God is One.

So if the One God shows us to be and gives a Message through Muhammad, the Bab and Baha'u'llah, you would embrace the One God?

No matter what!

Regards Tony

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Yes and no. Joseph Smith was not prophesied in the Bible. He along with many others came to confuse the issue.
The Hebrew scriptures show us that the one whom God would appoint to be firstborn, higher than the Kings of the earth, was going to be killed by the Jews and His crown thrown to the ground. (Psalm 89:24-52) Jesus has not yet fulfilled all the prophecies about the Messiah, but He is the suffering servant of Isa 53 and the one who was sent to bring Jacob back and to be a light and salvation to the gentiles. (Isa 49:6-9)
Jesus is not prophesied in the Bible either. But that is moot. The point is that Christians ADDED another book onto the canon. The LDS added their own book onto canon. They say that God let the LDS come into being so that Christians would come to know how Jews feel LOL. :)