• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does Jehovah rightly expect of His worshippers?

capumetu

Jesus said there are two Commandments, namely love of God and neighbor, thus Christianity needs to be a lifestyle, not just some beliefs.

I quite agree sir, although there is a lot involved in both of those commandments.

capumetu

I believe this is what God expects:

You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
Mat. 22:37-39

If we live by that, we don’t do anything evil to others.

Yes sir I fully agree, but verse 37 is much more to be obeyed don't you think? The two really go hand in hand.

capumetu

I see God want us to know and to Love God.

We are asked to rise above our animal nature and to serve each other in love and compassion for all people, all creatures and our planet.

To try to live up to that calling, is to try to be the best person we can. When we fall short, admit we are wrong and try to do better each day.

It is the greatest challenge of life, that is to find out that to know and Love God, we have to find it in our own selves.

Regards Tony

Great post Tony, I fully agree.

capumetu

Matthew22[35] And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him.
[36] "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
[37] And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
[38] This is the great and first commandment.
[39] And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
[40] On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."

@Tony Bristow-Stagg , I don't know what's so funny about this?

Yes sir, really sums it up. Thanks Metis.

capumetu

What does Jehovah rightly expect of His worshippers?

I feel no need to worship the Great unseen God outside myself. I rather transform my bad habits

In short:
Love All, Serve All
Hurt Never, Help Ever
Thank you sir for your input.

Yes sir I fully agree, but verse 37 is much more to be obeyed don't you think? The two really go hand in hand.

Yes, the first is fulfilled, if we keep the second, because:

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. His commandments are not grievous.
1 John 5:3

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Matthew22[35] And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him.
[36] "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
[37] And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
[38] This is the great and first commandment.
[39] And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
[40] On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."

@Tony Bristow-Stagg , I don't know what's so funny about this?

It was a "like" not a "funny", but small phone and big fingers with the funny next to the like, gave the result you saw, so that was funny, but I was able to change it for you :)

Regards Tony

capumetu

Jehovah is a western, Christian transliteration of the Hebrew Yhwh, with vowels added.
The Pronunciation History Of Yahweh to Jehovah - The Oneness Of God In Christ
A Detailed History of the name

God's name in the original language is YHWH. All English Bibles that use His name in their version, translate the Divine Name as Jehovah. Does He accept that rendering? Investigate why the translators of the KJV of the Bible forgot to remove it fully from their version, when they were so dead set against the Divine Name appearing. Jehovah never leaves Himself without witness.

capumetu

Yes, the first is fulfilled, if we keep the second, because:

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. His commandments are not grievous.
1 John 5:3

You are very well correct, one does show their love for God by keeping His commandments, and true they are not a burden, but of course one has to know what those commandments are for sure.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
God's name in the original language is YHWH. All English Bibles that use His name in their version, translate the Divine Name as Jehovah. Does He accept that rendering? Investigate why the translators of the KJV of the Bible forgot to remove it fully from their version, when they were so dead set against the Divine Name appearing. Jehovah never leaves Himself without witness.

Technically it isn't a translation but a transliteration. And it isn't a transliteration of the actual name, but a transliteration of the vowels of Adonai added inbetween each letter, which means that it is another word, not the name itself.

If YHWH exists, there is no way to know whether he accepts that rendering or not.

capumetu

Technically it isn't a translation but a transliteration. And it isn't a transliteration of the actual name, but a transliteration of the vowels of Adonai added inbetween each letter, which means that it is another word, not the name itself.

If YHWH exists, there is no way to know whether he accepts that rendering or not.
Versions changed it to Adonai sir, which is simply Lord. We know He accepts it, for a couple of reasons, we see how He has blessed His witnesses worldwide Isa 60:22

And we know that God wanted His name declared throughout the earth Ex 9:16, as has been done. Calling on that name is necessary for salvation as well Rom 10:13, therefore as sure as God exists, He has made His name known throughout the earth Jn 17:6

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Versions changed it to Adonai sir, which is simply Lord. We know He accepts it, for a couple of reasons, we see how He has blessed His witnesses worldwide Isa 60:22

And we know that God wanted His name declared throughout the earth Ex 9:16, as has been done. Calling on that name is necessary for salvation as well Rom 10:13, therefore as sure as God exists, He has made His name known throughout the earth Jn 17:6

My point is regarding the incertion of the vowels of Adonai into the divine name making it another word. I am not talking about Adonai being use on its own but how the name eventually transliterated as Jehovah came about.

So therefore his actual name has not been made known throughout the earth, just a bastardisation of it.

Your interpretation of Isaiah 60:22 has nothing to do with the technical implications of how the name was adjusted.