• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what does it mean to be free?

InChrist

Free4ever
This question have been on my mind all day today..

What does it mean to be free?
It can not be just one answer for this question, can it? :confused:

When do i know i am free? (not spesific to conscious thoughts as a being)
I suppose people can come up with a variety of thoughts about what it means to be free in many different situations. I think ultimately the words of Jesus refer to the most important freedom of all because it involves eternal freedom.

Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
John 8:34-36

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

I think it is a state in which spiritual truth always comes first in our lives. We must attend to material things but while living a predominantly spiritual life. I believe that only spiritual life brings true freedom and contentment.

Clara Tea

I realized that I was cheap when I woke up and a lot of birds were shouting "cheep."

Free is when you are even cheeper.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

You don't have to know that you're free in order to be free,

"Free" normally means something like "able to act in accordance with your own wishes, without external coercion or restraint".

When used in the phrase "free will" it has a similar meaning.

Obviously none of us is able to make decisions independently of our evolved brain processes for making decisions.

Vee

Premium Member

For me to be free is to be able to choose the things/people/activities that are worthy of my time and energy.
Some people associate freedom with doing whatever you want, but unless you're a toddler throwing a tantrum, consequences need to be considered, so based on that concept you're never really free because in real life you can't just do whatever you want. However, if you can chose what matters and focus on that, you might feel you have the right kind of freedom.

Praise Jah

Psalm 83:18

The Creator and Sovereign Ruler of the universe, Jehovah God, is the only one who has absolute freedom.

Our freedom is relative and is bound in God's law. (James 1:25) (Romans 8:21)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The Creator and Sovereign Ruler of the universe, Jehovah God, is the only one who has absolute freedom.

Our freedom is relative and is bound in God's law. (James 1:25) (Romans 8:21)
From your P.O.V of a christian faith your answer may be correct. But what about those who are not Christians?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

It is a fascinating, deep question, and I don't have a well forumulated answer, as it is still something I'm chewing on. (Sometimes I think on things for years, even decades, before finally reaching a well worded response).

I know that part of the answer involves having a choice. For example, in the American Dream, the idea is that you are not stuck in your father's trade, or even in the class you were born in, but are free to enter into the career of your choice provided you have the brains and skills necessary for it. "Every little boy can be President," so to speak.

But happiness doesn't come from simply having endless choices. Right now I have simply hundreds of channels on my cable, yet when I look for something to watch, I feel like there is nothing on, and I am unhappy. I remember back in the 70s when my family had just one tv, in the living room, and the whole family watched it together each night. We had nine stations to choose from, always found something, and we were happy. Why the difference? Sometimes having too many choices is just not a good thing. I think there is something about the human psyche that we need boundaries.

And speaking of boundaries, we especially need them when it comes to right and wrong behavior. For the sake of this paragraph, I'm excluding psychopaths, who have no conscience because they are not neurotypical. Most of us have a conscience. When we violate that conscience, we feel bad. Those who do not lead lives that are good, are simply not as content with their lives as others. They become jaded, because they assume that everyone else is just as corrupt as they are.

We admit that children do better with boundaries. Well, it may be embarrassing, but the truth is, we adults need our boundaries too. We NEED to know that if we cheat on our taxes we can go to jail, that if we thoroughly beat the crap out of the jerk next door who deserves it of course, that they can and will press for assault charges. These things don't just make for a more civilized society, they make for a more peaceful heart.

And what good is a choice if we don't make the choice that benefits us? So freedom may need to be "freedom within the lines" to be true freedom.

I am reminded of this every year at Passover. God didn't just deliver us from slavery in Egypt and then say, "Okay you guy, have a good time." No, he took us to Mt Sinai and gave us the law. He delivered us TO responsibility. Only by being our own people, with our own rules, could we be truly free.