• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what does it mean to be free?

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
This question have been on my mind all day today..

What does it mean to be free?
It can not be just one answer for this question, can it? :confused:

When do i know i am free? (not spesific to conscious thoughts as a being)

I like your topics, Conscious thoughts. They’re always really good!

08B51612-8013-48E9-BFE3-628D26CBF08D.jpeg

D0163615-4126-4664-9439-FE61496687AE.jpeg

7CF544FD-2600-42CE-AF11-042E59A65497.jpeg

Humbly
Hermit

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Freedom is experienced when the lower self dies. Relative freedom is experienced as well when the lower self is quiet.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Actually, yes :) because then we still feel some form of restriction. I would think that feeling is gone when we truly do become free

In Scripture I find that only God has ' absolute ' or unlimited freedom.
Everyone and everything moves or acts within 'restricted' universal laws.
So, people have ' relative ' freedom, and ' relative ' freedom can be a good thing.
'Degrees' of freedom to be free in some way, but Not in every way.
For example the motive behind something:
* For a parent to say that the child can play til 9 p.m. can give the child 'protective freedom'.
* A person can falsely yell out 'fire' in a movie theatre but that freedom, so to speak, could cause harm.
So, ' true freedom ' is bounded by law that recognizes the rights of others in contributing to their happiness.
We should all be free to exercise being free in an upbuilding way to self and others.
For a Christian: All to be free to act responsibly toward God.

Gargovic Malkav

If you don't know the answer to that, you could ask yourself what makes you feel oppressed.
Once you've found an answer to that and set a standard, you might find out what freedom is.

But then.. some people feel enslaved and/or oppressed whenever someone else tells them what to think of things.
If this is the case, I'm oppressing and brainwashing you as we speak, even though this is certainly not my intention.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you don't know the answer to that, you could ask yourself what makes you feel oppressed.
Once you've found an answer to that and set a standard, you might find out what freedom is.

But then.. some people feel enslaved and/or oppressed whenever someone else tells them what to think of things.
If this is the case, I'm oppressing and brainwashing you as we speak, even though this is certainly not my intention.
As long as you do not say " You have to do as i say" or "you can not believe that way because i disagree" then i do not feel oppressed by you or others :)

Freedom to me would be the day i am able to let go of everything that i either have an attachment to or clinging to some way. But time will tell if it is possible or not

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

The classic American idea would be that 'freedom' is to have less constraint on our actions and speech by laws/government.

A very contrasting idea is that freedom is being more free from conditions that reduce our ability to have a good life.

These 2 concepts are quite different of course. In American classic 'freedom' one might starve for example, but be free while doing so.

In Christianity the word 'freedom' is used in a certain way that is quite meaningful: to be free from the concerns/worries/stresses of the world, for one. For another, to become free from the controlling addictive power of sin.

These 2 are freedoms inside. For instance, with full faith in Christ, listening to His Words, we gain freedom from such cares and stresses, and gain even more: a peace beyond understanding.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
People feel they are free when their enculturated, internalized constraints match the norms of their particular society.

People feel free when their unaware of any alternative beliefs, values or lifestyles.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
People feel free when they are free to do things they most want to do. For some at first that could seem to be merely to abate their pain by indulging in something, but for those luckier to have explored more of those invisible paths all around us, there are much better things.