• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does God want from you?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It is not "either or" .. responsibility is shared.
We do not get to get out of our own responsibilities by "passing the buck".

Sounds like apologetics to me.

I am responsible for what i create, you are responsible for what you create.

But your god gets a free pass for shiddy shoddy workmanship?

No buck passed allowed

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Sounds like apologetics to me.

I am responsible for what i create, you are responsible for what you create.

But your god gets a free pass for shiddy shoddy workmanship?

No buck passed allowed

If this all-knowing, all-powerful God had foreseen that humans would fall into moral degradation, then it appears sinister and sadistic of such a God to create them, knowing they would fail to meet his divine expectations. Why would such a God then destroy them out of regret in a global flood or punish those born afterward and require a blood sacrifice of his son to redeem them for behaving precisely as he foresaw they would before he created them?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If this all-knowing, all-powerful God had foreseen that humans would fall into moral degradation, then it appears sinister and sadistic of such a God to create them, knowing they would fail to meet his divine expectations. Why would such a God then destroy them out of regret in a global flood or punish those born afterward and require a blood sacrifice of his son to redeem them for behaving precisely as he foresaw they would before he created them?

It's a quandary for sure, the only answer i can think of is that it's all a good story with no substance

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
OK. God creates the universe and God creates you. What does God want from you?

If you are an atheist, speculate. If God really exists and creates the universe and God creates you. What does God want from you?

Before you just give a quick answer, consider a Being capable of creating the universe and you has to be very very smart. Consider High Intellect with your answers. Make God's answer High Intellect.
I have to assume that, given those premises, I have nothing to worry about or even to attempt to do.

Whatever would be necessary or expected would be clearly presented to me in such a way that there would be no true doubt remaining.

Clearly we do not exist in an universe that follows those premises. But I already knew as much.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

It honestly, for me, shows it could be any one of three things:

1. That God is all-knowing, but not "good" (allows such a high level of dysfunction in the system he created).

2. That God may have good intentions, but is not "all-powerful" (things get out of his control).

3. Whether or not God is real, the stories are "made up".

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
It honestly, for me, shows it could be any one of three things:

1. That God is all-knowing, but not "good" (allows such a high level of dysfunction in the system he created).

2. That God may have good intentions, but is not "all-powerful" (things get out of his control).

3. Whether or not God is real, the stories are "made up".

There are scriptures in the Bible that claim God is omniscient (Psalm 139:1–6; Isaiah 46:9–10; 1 John 3:20), omnipotent (Psalm 147:5; Job 42:2; Daniel 2:21), and omnipresent (Psalm 139:7–10; Isaiah 40:12; Colossians 1:17). The Bible also implies that God regretted creating mankind (Genesis 6:6-7), as well as changes his mind (Jeremiah 18:5–10; Joel 2:13; Jonah 4:2), describes God changing his mind (Exodus 32:14; Amos 7:3, 6; Jonah 3:10), or assumes that God will change his mind (Jeremiah 26:3; Joel 2:14; Jonah 3:9), despite Numbers 23:19, which implies the polar opposite, "God is not a man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said it, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?" So, based on these scriptures, I conclude that the answer could be either #1 or #3, assuming that the Bible is infallible and inerrant, as some Christians insist on because they believe that God divinely inspired it (2 Timothy 3:16–17). In my opinion, the Bible has multiple contradictions within it, so I think it could be either answer.

Bird123

I wouldn't want the job. Would you?
Sure, I could do the job. On the other hand, there are many people in government that really wouldn't want me fixing things. The alligators would want to Eat me. Still, God will not allow anyone to interfere with the lessons of others and I would probably be doing that on a global scale if I had the position. Besides, I would probably only get 2 votes, your vote and my vote, and I'm not really sure about your vote.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Bird123

It doesn't matter to me what God wants from me, assuming he exists. If there are gods, I don't need or desire anything from them, and I doubt I'd care if a god or gods sought something from me. I don't need or want one in my life, and I don't rely on any gods to help me, guide me, or give my life meaning.
As I see it, you have nothing to worry about. God's system works around total free choice. Seems you are doing that.

In a time-based causal universe our choices and actions return results in order to teach us what our choices really mean. When one Understands all sides, Intelligence will make the best choices.

There are no wrong or right answers. There is only Free Choice, Learning, Growing, and Discovering what the best choices really are. Given enough time, one will be able to create a Heavenly state for oneself and others.

I think it is important to share that which is Special about ourselves with others around us. In a multilevel classroom, interaction teaches all in ways one might not see or realize. Something as small as a kind word can span generations. Somehow, I think you are doing just that!

Bird123

Nothing, most likely. I'd probably just be an ant.

Nothing, I guess.

Okay. Um. Well. "Nothing." is my answer.
A lot of Religious people will tell you what God wants one to do, however do they really know God or are they telling what they want you to do?

I think you have the right answer, nothing. God did not create the universe for Himself. It was all created for us, God's children. The time-based causal nature of the universe is Perfect for Learning.

I also think you are right. We are ants. On the other hand, ants do have purpose.

Bird123

I have to assume that, given those premises, I have nothing to worry about or even to attempt to do.

Whatever would be necessary or expected would be clearly presented to me in such a way that there would be no true doubt remaining.

Clearly we do not exist in an universe that follows those premises. But I already knew as much.
OK, you are giving me some Advanced Thinking. Very Very good!!!

Is it really so clear that such a universe does not exist?

Picture a system working on Free Choice within a time-based causal universe. Choice by choice we are Discovering what the best choices really are through the results of our choices.

By returning our choices and actions back to us, we not only Discover what the best choices really are; we learn to Love Unconditionally. After all,that is what everyone really wants returning.

Through this process, when one understands all sides, Intelligence will make the Best choices. It's education at it's best.

How long did mankind watch birds fly before they figured out how? Medicine advanced, then they Discovered DNA. Suddenly a whole new advanced world of knowledge became possible.

God hides nothing. Knowledge exists all around waiting to be Discovered. A Being capable of creating the universe will have High Intelligence. Through teaching those children, will place knowledge within reach of those with advanced thinking and willing to venture into undiscovered country and find what has been waiting all along.

By studying the universe, isn't one studying God? Isn't this the true path to God? Look around you at the evidence of Intelligence. If one puts the pieces together, where do you think it leads!!

God works on multiple levels with multiple views. We are but mere ants, but that doesn't mean one will be an ant forever. This hungry student marches forward.

Ah yes, total free choice through a time-based causal universe. It is a Masterpiece!!!

Isn't this what is truly out there??

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
OK, you are giving me some Advanced Thinking. Very Very good!!!

Is it really so clear that such a universe does not exist?

Yes. Yes, it is.

It probably helps that I am not a proponent of Free Will, which you call Free Choice.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

If you are an atheist, speculate. If God really exists and creates the universe and God creates you. What does God want from you?

Before you just give a quick answer, consider a Being capable of creating the universe and you has to be very very smart. Consider High Intellect with your answers. Make God's answer High Intellect.
There is no logical entailment between "creating X", and "wanting something from X".

According to the myth, He must have created carrots, too. I doubt though that He wants something from them.

Ciao

- viole

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
There is no logical entailment between "creating X", and "wanting something from X".

According to the myth, He must have created carrots, too. I doubt though that He wants something from them.

Ciao

- viole
I don't know... everyone loves a good stir fry.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

Why is it always Christianity/Monotheism vs Atheism?

ppp

Oh .. really?
..so Einstein is responsible for nuclear atrocities in Japan?

Your philosophy is too simplistic .. and fails completely.
  1. A parent leaving their young child alone at home while they go out for an extended period, exposing the child to potential dangers or accidents.
  2. A caregiver leaving an elderly person with mobility issues alone in a room without proper assistance, leading to falls and injuries.
  3. A pet owner leaving their dog tied outside in extreme weather conditions without adequate shelter, putting the animal at risk of heatstroke or hypothermia.
  4. A group of friends leaving a heavily intoxicated friend alone at a party or nightclub, making them vulnerable to potential harm or exploitation.
  5. A supervisor leaving a new employee to work with dangerous machinery without proper training or supervision, risking the employee's safety.

Nimos

No clue and it depends on what attributes one assigns to that God. If God is all-knowing and all-powerful I have no clue why they would create anything at all to begin with, as such God could simply imagine it and would solely do it for their own pleasure. If said God is not all-knowing, I would assume that they might create stuff out of fun. But ultimately I don't think a God wants anything from a human at all, there is absolutely nothing we could offer such a being that he/she couldn't just create out of thin air, to begin with.