• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of the virgin birth of Jesus ?

What's your opinion about the virgin birth of Jesus

• Total voters

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
No, you have a short memory. I do not believe that at all, and have told you a number of times now.

But anyway, you say that there must be a first thing to make all things - except god right? Why doesn't it apply to him?

So do you agree that there must be a first thing to start all things ?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
So do you agree that there must be a first thing to start all things ?
No. As I have said many times. I do not agree.

And more importantly, you don't believe that either. You think God needs no cause, so you patently do not believe that everything needs a cause.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
If the DNA isn't made then it was due to chance and coincidence and that doesn't make any sense to me.
Not at all. What doesn't make any sense is that you assume it was either designed or chance. Ignoring the concept of selection and evolution which need no designer and are not chance.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Not at all. What doesn't make any sense is that you assume it was either designed or chance. Ignoring the concept of selection and evolution which need no designer and are not chance.

Can a stone mutate and evolve by natural selection ?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I'm sure that you don't believe everything has a cause (because you give an exception to god) and so I wonder why you think I do?

I said God isn't of our nature, we know what cause the TV to exist, do you think the cats know what cause the TV to exist.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I said God isn't of our nature, we know what cause the TV to exist, do you think the cats know what cause the TV to exist.
Nope. Why don't you believe everything has a cause?

You seem stuck on thinking I believe that, but won't explain why - especially given that you don't believe it anyway.

So I ask you directly: Why doesn't everything need a cause?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
FearGod

I really don't mean to offend you, but you do seem to rely on this question of first cause a lot. But don't believe it yourself.
All I am asking you is why you do not believe everything must have a cause, but insist that to be true in order to argue for god at the same time? Your first cause argument defeats itself - the solution to the rule is the exception to the rule. That does't wash.

You have to admit that the argument: Everything needs a cause except 'X'. Therefore 'X' must exist! Is pretty weak?

Last edited:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
It is a really interesting notion, and thanks for introducing it. I differ with it in that I question how he has calculated his relative probabilities. I think that the assumption he makes is essentially invalid. As a further reflection on Boltzmann brains - it would be very, very difficult to establish from such an entity that it was Yahweh. It would be at best only the very first step, not evidence of God per se.

Amazing idea though, lots of food for the imagination.

MD

qualiaphile
It is a really interesting notion, and thanks for introducing it. I differ with it in that I question how he has calculated his relative probabilities. I think that the assumption he makes is essentially invalid. As a further reflection on Boltzmann brains - it would be very, very difficult to establish from such an entity that it was Yahweh. It would be at best only the very first step, not evidence of God per se.

Amazing idea though, lots of food for the imagination.

It is an interesting idea, although as a panentheist I don't particularly believe in it.

I do believe however that such entities in the universe do exist, given the absolute infinite nature of existence, and some of them might have godlike powers.

Glad I opened your mind a tad bit :)

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
FearGod

I really don't mean to offend you, but you do seem to rely on this question of first cause a lot. But don't believe it yourself.
All I am asking you is why you do not believe everything must have a cause, but insist that to be true in order to argue for god at the same time? Your first cause argument defeats itself - the solution to the rule is the exception to the rule. That does't wash.

You have to admit that the argument: Everything needs a cause except 'X'. Therefore 'X' must exist! Is pretty weak?

I said to you that i don't need to make guesses, you can ask yourself why only God is exception, why not the universe has no cause as well, you can think it the way you wish, but for me, i follow my faith and i'm convinced it's the truth by evidences.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
It is an interesting idea, although as a panentheist I don't particularly believe in it.

I do believe however that such entities in the universe do exist, given the absolute infinite nature of existence, and some of them might have godlike powers.

Glad I opened your mind a tad bit :)
Boltzmann minds may well exist, it is a vast universe. But concern yourself with your own mind ok? I was aware of the concept.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I said to you that i don't need to make guesses, you can ask yourself why only God is exception,
My friend, I am asking YOU. It is after all YOUR argument. Why would I be obliged to correct your argument?
why not the universe has no cause as well, you can think it the way you wish, but for me, i follow my faith and i'm convinced it's the truth by evidences.
Such as?