• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of Purgatory?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Right, clearly all sins are Not equal which includes sins that happen by accident or on purpose.
But all sins end with the same sentence: death - Romans 3:23; 6:7; 5:12
For some it's perpetual death ( No resurrection hope ) - Jeremiah 51:39,57
No everlasting life for the wicked because the wicked are 'destroyed forever ' - Psalms 92:7; 104:35; 145:20; Prov. 2:21-22
If you read the entire bible, you will find that a number of very different proposals for an afterlife (or lack thereof) are presented. This is because there are many different authors who do not always agree. Thus, a person cannot just quote several verses and think that he has covered all the Bible has to say on this matter.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If you read the entire bible, you will find that a number of very different proposals for an afterlife (or lack thereof) are presented. This is because there are many different authors who do not always agree. Thus, a person cannot just quote several verses and think that he has covered all the Bible has to say on this matter.
Yes, the Bible is Not written like a novel or in ABC order.
A comprehensive concordance helps put the Bible in alphabetical order by topic or subject arrangement.
Thus, we can take one subject or one topic at a time and see what the Bible writers had to say .
The internal harmony among the many Bible writers shows the many corresponding cross-reference verses and passages.
That is why Jesus could often preface his statements with the words, " It is written...." meaning already written down in the OT.
Thus, Jesus used logical reasoning on the OT as the basis for his teachings.

IndigoChild5559

The internal harmony among the many Bible writers shows the many corresponding cross-reference verses and passages.
There are a few topics that the Bible presents throughout. And there are other topics that it contradicts itself on because, like I reminded you, it has many different authors. The afterlife would be one example of the latter.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
There are a few topics that the Bible presents throughout. And there are other topics that it contradicts itself on because, like I reminded you, it has many different authors. The afterlife would be one example of the latter.
No Scripture for afterlife because afterlife means being more alive after death than before death.
Scripture is consistent that the dead are dead knowing nothing at all.
- Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5 and Jesus agreeing words at John 11:11-14

InChrist

Free4ever
The question was not whether there are all different kinds of sins. The question was whether all sins are equal. Clearly they are not.
I think all sins are equal in the sense that all sin is unrighteous and falls short of God’s perfection and holiness. Yet, clearly the scriptures differentiate between types of sin and severity of penalties; some sins are worse than others.

IndigoChild5559

I think all sins are equal in the sense that all sin is unrighteous and falls short of God’s perfection and holiness.
It's flawed thinking. If one student gets a 99% on the math test, and another gets a 54%, it really is kind of a red herring to point out that neither one got 100%. It misses the elephant in the room.

The standard was never perfection. Proverbs says, "the RIGHTOUS man falls seven times, and rises up again." So the standard of righteousness is not perfection, but repentance when we stumble.
Yet, clearly the scriptures differentiate between types of sin and severity of penalties; some sins are worse than others.
Exactly.

InChrist

Free4ever
It's flawed thinking. If one student gets a 99% on the math test, and another gets a 54%, it really is kind of a red herring to point out that neither one got 100%.
I don’t think so. At least I think the biblical scriptures show that all sin, any sin separates one from God, even though some sins are worse than others.

IndigoChild5559

I don’t think so. At least I think the biblical scriptures show that all sin, any sin separates one from God, even though some sins are worse than others.
I don't think anything separates us from God. I just don't envision God as being so fragile that he can't tolerate our imperfection.

InChrist

Free4ever
I don't think anything separates us from God. I just don't envision God as being so fragile that he can't tolerate our imperfection.
I sure don’t think Almighty God is fragile either. I think God doesn’t tolerate sin because He is Holy, not fragile. If sin is transgression and going against God’s way/will then when we are going a different direction than God’s, it makes sense that we would be separated. So I believe sin separates us from God. God is holy, sin is unholy.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
From The Catechism of the Catholic Church:

III. THE FINAL PURIFICATION, OR PURGATORY

All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.
From this I figure the catholic Church figures those who are somehow perfectly purified go right to heaven when they die.

YoursTrue

I guess that's why there were animal sacrifices at the temple and God killed certain people because he tolerated them.

YoursTrue

I sure don’t think Almighty God is fragile either. I think God doesn’t tolerate sin because He is Holy, not fragile. If sin is transgression and going against God’s way/will then when we are going a different direction than God’s, it makes sense that we would be separated. So I believe sin separates us from God. God is holy, sin is unholy.
I'll just say that according to some I guess God tolerates sin and kills people he tolerates.

YoursTrue

Ecclesiastes 9:5 states that the dead know nothing, and even their names are forgotten. However, if the dead know nothing, then how would they know if they are either in heaven or hell?
They wouldn't know anything because they are dead. Anything beyond that is either an illustration or misconception, such as Saul talking to a dead person.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
They wouldn't know anything because they are dead. Anything beyond that is either an illustration or misconception, such as Saul talking to a dead person.

In your opinion, of course. I'm sure that is what you believe, but obviously other people believe differently than you.

YoursTrue

You may elaborate if you like. I don’t know what you are saying, exactly.
Ok, no problem. Someone said they don't think anything separates us from God. And they just don't envision God as being so fragile that he can't tolerate our imperfection. I'm saying there were sin offerings established at the temple in Jerusalem and that God had people in certain circumstances put to death.

YoursTrue

In your opinion, of course. I'm sure that is what you believe, but obviously other people believe differently than you.
Obviously that is true. Saul, for instance, actually believed the witch of Endor contacted the prophet.

IndigoChild5559

Sin is simply a description of what we humans sometimes do. It is not that God tolerates or does not tolerate sin. It is that he loves and cares for us even with all our warts. Like I said, I don't think anything separates us from God.

But of course, you can feel free to disagree. I realize this is an important religious belief for you.

InChrist

Free4ever
Sin is simply a description of what we humans sometimes do. It is not that God tolerates or does not tolerate sin. It is that he loves and cares for us even with all our warts. Like I said, I don't think anything separates us from God.

But of course, you can feel free to disagree. I realize this is an important religious belief for you.
And you certainly are free to disagree with my view.
I do believe God loves and cares for us and that’s why He made a way to deal with sin. So what are your thoughts about the reason Adam and Eve hid from God after they disobeyed, perfect animal that God killed to then clothe them, and then the institution of animal sacrifices?