• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you mean by "Christian God"?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
For some context, my God belief is the same, without the NT, or if I include ideas from it. I consider Christians to be worshipping the same God, if they are certatin type of Christians.

I personally read the NT, as I would Kabbalah, or other texts, and this can all be syncretized, per discretion, or not, per context.

What do you mean when you say 'Christian God'?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
For some context, my God belief is the same, without the NT, or if I include ideas from it. I consider Christians to be worshipping the same God, if they are certatin type of Christians.

I personally read the NT, as I would Kabbalah, or other texts, and this can all be syncretized, per discretion, or not, per context.

To me, the "Christian God" is same God that Jesus served.....the same God he taught his disciples to pray to...as opposed to the nameless god that Judaism ended up worshipping....and the triune godhead that Christendom adopted, who does not resemble the God of Israel at all. The Christian God is the one who is not warped into a different shape by men.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Christian god means jesus (him being god)

Jehovah isnt a roman depicted god, so that god with Muslim have different edicts and connotations than the god the apostles said jesus worshiped.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

I think there is One Creator God who revealed Himself through Moses, Jesus, and all the Hebrew prophets as recorded in the Hebrew Bible. There is only the One God but we have different understandings of Him.

In my experience when Christians refer to the Christian God, they are trying to say they worship the true God and others or ‘non-Christians’ worship a false God. It is a way of one religious adherent saying I’m right and you are wrong. However the One God exists independent of our limited human understanding. There is only One God throughout the Universe whether we are Christian or not.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
If I said Christian God, I would be equating Paul and Simon the stones ideology, as they created Christianity (Acts 11:26)...

This would be a weird mix of Pharisaic Judaism's ideas, that YHVH is both the father, and son at the same time; as they didn't express the God Most High (G5310), as Yeshua, Gabriel, and demons referenced in the Synoptic Gospels.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't think I'd say it, but if I did, I'd mean the Christian understanding of God. One God, understood differently.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
what if they made him up? Then you really don't have a god.

I personal see god(s), deities, a reflection of the thoughts, desires, and purpose needed to make sense of their place in life. What drives life (its energy) personified by many in history trying to find the workings of the universe.

Made up? No. They have a god just lots of non-christians make god/deity more of a being than the people who actually believe in them.

Shushersbedamned

I personal see god(s), deities, a reflection of the thoughts, desires, and purpose needed to make sense of their place in life. What drives life (its energy) personified by many in history trying to find the workings of the universe.

Made up? No. They have a god just lots of non-christians make god/deity more of a being than the people who actually believe in them.
Que?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Cómo? El dios no esta un siendo que comùn en los mentes de gente. En lugar, se esta una reflexiòn del deseos y cosas necesariamente por las corazónes de gente.

Comprende. No esta imaginación de los gentes que cree la dios. El problema, pienso, los personals que no crean el dios creen que el dios esta un siendo como un humano o simular. Pero, no esta correcto porque el dios esta un espirito de la vida de todo. Espirito que se llamen jesus (los creen el trinity) o un creador pero, una creador no es humano pero espirito.

Cada persona se tiene definiciónes differientiante

Mi espanol este terrible pero, no usa el internet.

Huh? God is not a being thats common to the minds of (most) people. Instead, its a reflection of the desires and important things of people's hearts.

Understand. Its not an imagination of people who believe in god. The problem, I think, is the people who dont believe jn god believe god as a being as if he is a human or simular.

But thats not correct. God is a spirit that some call jesus. (Those who believe in the trinity) or creator; but the creator is a spirit not a human.

Each person has their own definitions.

My spanish is terrible but I didnt use the internet.

Comprende? :D

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

It's complicated.

In simple terms, when I use the phrase "Christian god" (I don't capitalize the "g" there) it's a qualifier. The word "god" refers to any and all god-concepts across all forms of theism. "Christian god" referes specifically to god-concepts associated with Christianity and those identifying as Christian. Sounds simple enough, right?

Except it isn't. N
otice I said god-concepts earlier (plural)? When it comes to actually talking about the substance behind that qualifier, things get messy very quickly. There's no single understanding of the Christian god. Denominations disagree and argue with each other about the nature of that god. Beyond a few commonly-held attributes, there's not much that can be said about the Christian god before one must get denominationally specific or more personal. I'm not well-versed enough in monotheism in general to get that deep into it, but I know enough to be aware that those depths exist.

GoodbyeDave

This is a question that I struggled with for years, as I tried to make sense of the religion in which I had been raised.

A major problem was the disparity between the Old and New Testaments. Jesus taught his disciples to love their enemies. The Israelite prophets taught their followers to kill them (e.g. Elijah, Jeremiah). The possible resolutions were
1. That they were talking about different gods — Marcionism. The problem was that Jesus endorsed the Old Testament.
2. That the prophets were not real prophets at all — but Jesus endorsed them.
3. That the Jewish god was so incompetent that he couldn't make himself clear.

Then there was the "evolution" of the Israelite concept of Yahweh. He started as the patron god of the Israelites (see Deuteronomy 32.8). Then he tookk over Hadad's myths (Psalm 74.12-17) and functions (the winter rain ritual in the temple). Finally, he was equated to El, the creator. So, were the later Jewish monotheists worshiping Yahweh or El?

So what of the Christians? If they are worshiping the creator, why do they use the Old Testament? Of course, it has given them the opportunity to find texts defending every sort of discrimination…

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
This is a question that I struggled with for years, as I tried to make sense of the religion in which I had been raised.

A major problem was the disparity between the Old and New Testaments. Jesus taught his disciples to love their enemies. The Israelite prophets taught their followers to kill them (e.g. Elijah, Jeremiah). The possible resolutions were
1. That they were talking about different gods — Marcionism. The problem was that Jesus endorsed the Old Testament.
2. That the prophets were not real prophets at all — but Jesus endorsed them.
3. That the Jewish god was so incompetent that he couldn't make himself clear.

Then there was the "evolution" of the Israelite concept of Yahweh. He started as the patron god of the Israelites (see Deuteronomy 32.8). Then he tookk over Hadad's myths (Psalm 74.12-17) and functions (the winter rain ritual in the temple). Finally, he was equated to El, the creator. So, were the later Jewish monotheists worshiping Yahweh or El?

So what of the Christians? If they are worshiping the creator, why do they use the Old Testament? Of course, it has given them the opportunity to find texts defending every sort of discrimination…
The biggest issue with me, in understanding these Christian concepts, are that many if not most, may not be explicit in the text. Or, different interpretations made from the text. I'm certain that these concepts were never meant to be fully understood just from reading the NT texts, and, if you're not a Christian, or never were a Christian, like me, merely reading the texts doesn't tell you things that seem to be accepted in general Christianity.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Abrahamic God, unlike Greek, Roman, Norse or Hindu deities, is a rule maker and judge, focused on mankind and judgemental. He wants respect, submission and, above all, strict adherence to His rules.

Klepperman

Christian God is the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God is Jacob. The only difference is that Messiah is Christ.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The view of God held by Christians. It is a view indescribably different from that held by Hindus, for example. I try very hard to remember there is no Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Baha'i, or Hindu God, there is only God seen through different lenses. But the divisions are so deep it's hard to remember. Everyone has the correct view of God, and everyone else's is wrong. As distasteful as I find it, I'm even tainted by it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The Abrahamic God, unlike Greek, Roman, Norse or Hindu deities, is a rule maker and judge, focused on mankind and judgemental. He wants respect, submission and, above all, strict adherence to His rules.

Or at least that's how his followers paint him to be, and what they've written and believe about him.