• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you make of God/s

Milton Platt

Although I can't quite say the two are mutually exclusive

Not sure where you are going, there. They are different. Consciousness is an artifact of the brain and not physical in nature. Celestial bodies are not an artifact of the brain and are physical in nature. I don't understand the use of "exclusive".

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It's a trivial matter: If you have a finite set of concepts and wish to define *each one* of them using other concepts, then it's impossible to avoid circularity.

Consider the simple case of there being only three concepts A, B, and C. Suppose you define A using B. And then you define B using C. When you come to the need of defining C you will have to use either A or B. Which will render some of the previous definitions circular.

The same goes if you increase the number of concepts from 3 to 3.000. But we often don't notice the circularity in real world dictionaries because they include many concepts.
so...the Creator is defined by.....someone else
and cannot define Himself
and the statement...I AM!....was not a defining moment?

BSL

Atheist God
Not sure where you are going, there. They are different. Consciousness is an artifact of the brain and not physical in nature. Celestial bodies are not an artifact of the brain and are physical in nature. I don't understand the use of "exclusive".
True. . Consciousness seems physical even though it is an artifact of the brain. .and if you say the brain is a 100 trillion star like synapses, consciousness is physical

Ricktheheretic

"Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law"
Believer/Non-believer, what do you make of the God/s that you know of or pray/ed to

Egyptian-
Greek-
Roman-
Jewish-
Christian-
Islamic-
Dharmic-
Pagan-
Other-

"Thumbs up" to Prometheus for giving human beings fire. Zeus said what the Titan saw as ignorance was "innocence" and what he saw as darkness was "the shadow of his decree," he said that giving men fire would make them proud and try to other throw the gods. Prometheus stole fire from the sunrise and gave it to man, enabling the creation of the steel plow and farm equipment. Man could plant and harvest with instruments made from melted iron. He could light his hut with fire and build houses with hearths to heat them. Coal could be dug up from below the earth and burned as fuel. Man could get by without the gods' help. The railroad was the inevitable result of Prometheus rebellion against Zeus. I think of it as a parable about how the gods would eventually be displaced by mankind, as Zeus had displaced Chronos and Chronos had displaced Uranus. An oracle told Zeus that a son of his would displace him, so he ate the woman who was pregnant with his son. Not long after Athena was born from the forehead of Zeus. Athena was the goddess of wisdom, the goddess of the philosophers like Socrates who asked questions about the nature of the gods and the meaning of life.

Milton Platt

True. . Consciousness seems physical even though it is an artifact of the brain. .and if you say the brain is a 100 trillion star like synapses, consciousness is physical

No, the synapses are physical. Consciousness has no physical aspects. It is not made up of atoms or molecules.

Milton Platt

Is gravity abstract/conceptual

Gravity is the word we use to describe a particular aspect of the effects of mass on space/time. It does not represent either space or time and does not itself contain physical matter. Maybe we can shorten this conversation if you can describe the physical matter which makes up consciousness.

BSL

Atheist God
Gravity is the word we use to describe a particular aspect of the effects of mass on space/time. It does not represent either space or time and does not itself contain physical matter. Maybe we can shorten this conversation if you can describe the physical matter which makes up consciousness.
I already told you.. it's the energy of the nerve system that gives you a sense of self

BSL

Atheist God
so...the Creator is defined by.....someone else
and cannot define Himself
and the statement...I AM!....was not a defining moment?
The I AM is a projection of the incomprehension of the self to divinity.. undefining moment

BSL

Atheist God
"Thumbs up" to Prometheus for giving human beings fire. Zeus said what the Titan saw as ignorance was "innocence" and what he saw as darkness was "the shadow of his decree," he said that giving men fire would make them proud and try to other throw the gods. Prometheus stole fire from the sunrise and gave it to man, enabling the creation of the steel plow and farm equipment. Man could plant and harvest with instruments made from melted iron. He could light his hut with fire and build houses with hearths to heat them. Coal could be dug up from below the earth and burned as fuel. Man could get by without the gods' help. The railroad was the inevitable result of Prometheus rebellion against Zeus. I think of it as a parable about how the gods would eventually be displaced by mankind, as Zeus had displaced Chronos and Chronos had displaced Uranus. An oracle told Zeus that a son of his would displace him, so he ate the woman who was pregnant with his son. Not long after Athena was born from the forehead of Zeus. Athena was the goddess of wisdom, the goddess of the philosophers like Socrates who asked questions about the nature of the gods and the meaning of life.
Ahh..the Greek and Hebrew stories of psyche and personality

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
very confounding how creators might exist. The God concept is unrealistic, too ideal for the intelligence that created or spawned life on earth. I would have to say intelligence is a competing reality in the universe.

religious arguments are very unprovable to most degrees. yet they compel because of their possibility.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I'm not into aliens being a reality. and all the baggage that comes with believing that.

there is an intelligent dynamic to existence, how that exists I don't know.

it is interesting that string theory produces specific types of computer code by pure accident in discovery of it.

Milton Platt

I already told you.. it's the energy of the nerve system that gives you a sense of self

The nervous system provides the means to be a conscious being, but it is not the consciousness. Are you saying that consciousness is only nerve impulses and chemical reactions?