• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you make of God/s

ronandcarol

Premium Member
Believer/Non-believer, what do you make of the God/s that you know of or pray/ed to

Egyptian-
Greek-
Roman-
Jewish-
Christian- *
Islamic-
Dharmic-
Pagan-
Other-

I believe that a person will be wasting their time praying to any other God than the God of the Bible, the God of Abraham. He is the only Living God of any that you mentioned, and He sustains the creations that He created. He is the only God that freely gives life after death to all who believe in His Son. His Son that died for the sins of man so that we could freely choose to follow Him.
ronandcarol

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I believe that a person will be wasting their time praying to any other God than the God of the Bible, the God of Abraham. He is the only Living God of any that you mentioned, and He sustains the creations that He created. He is the only God that freely gives life after death to all who believe in His Son. His Son that died for the sins of man so that we could freely choose to follow Him.
ronandcarol
:rolleyes:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I can claim to be a natural divinity
Not a deity, Advaita (non-duality) Hinduism may not have any deity, but you are what constitutes all things in the universe, Brahman, the stuff of the universe, since no other thing exists.

If I quote may from my books, then 'Ekamevādvitīyam" (Ekam Eva Advitīyam - Verily, one without a second).
Is there a loophole by which it is possible
You do not require a loop-hole. It is the philosophy itself.
What about the archetypes
Archtypes are but peoples' imagination.
On naturalism many every-day concepts become rather vague.
Vague only to those who do not really understand.
BSL said:
And what would you say the self is? So different types of personalities?
Yes. Our concept of what we are.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Is the self physical or spiritual
That requires a definition of what 'physical' is. Physical may not be very physical, for example 'physical energy', heat, light, electricity, gravity, etc. That is the most difficult question of all. Is existence physical? Then what about non-existence? What if existence arose out of non-existence (Ex-nihilo)? What is the relation between existence and non-existence? Three thousand years ago my books said:

"Sages who searched with their heart's thought discovered the existent's kinship in the non-existent."
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXIX. Creation.

If they did, they did not leave the explanation for posterity. We will have to find it again.

As for spirituality or non-spirituality, that is a state of mind which develop in the brain based on our training in childhood, education and our experiences in life.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You are saying Sri Ramachandra (Dharmic deity) is one with Brahman i.e. Truth .. Satyam / Satyan / Satanama / Sata / Satatva, etc. etc.
In my belief every thing is Brahman and none other, including Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Osama bin Laden, Kim Jung-un, and the dear recently departed Caliph Ibrahim (if what the Russians say is truth); since nothing other than Brahman exists.
"Sarvam khalu idam Brahma" (All thing here, Brahman).

"Vidyā-vinaya-sampanne, brāhmaṇe gavi hastini;
śuni caiva śva-pāke ca, paṇḍitāḥ sama-darśinaḥ.." BhagawadGita 5.18

The sages see a humble and learned brahmin, a cow, an elephant, a dog and a dog-eater (outcaste)* as the same.
* Someone who has been expelled from the society for a grave misdemeanor.

Last edited:

BSL

Atheist God
Not a deity, Advaita (non-duality) Hinduism may not have any deity, but you are what constitutes all things in the universe, Brahman, the stuff of the universe, since no other thing exists.

If I quote may from my books, then 'Ekamevādvitīyam" (Ekam Eva Advitīyam - Verily, one without a second).You do not require a loop-hole. It is the philosophy itself.Archtypes are but peoples' imagination.Vague only to those who do not really understand.Yes. Our concept of what we are.
I don't believe in ajneya/Brahman/Truth/HaShem/God/supernatural stuff.

What do the Greeks call consciousness/ being conscious

Consciousness is not a Greek concept, but is universal and universally understood. Thus even small children understand what consciousness is. So, for example, any normal 10-year old will understand the fundamental difference between the events “I hit my drums and they make a lot of noise” and “I hit my little sister and she makes a lot of noise”.

Instead of spending your time asking many questions in a blog I would like to recommend you read some introductory text of philosophy first. I am not sure what to recommend. What I would certainly not recommend is to take seriously books on philosophical matters written by physical scientists – such writers tend to be completely clueless. I say look around, read the introductions or reviews, and start somewhere.

BSL

Atheist God
Consciousness is not a Greek concept, but is universal and universally understood. Thus even small children understand what consciousness is. So, for example, any normal 10-year old will understand the fundamental difference between the events “I hit my drums and they make a lot of noise” and “I hit my little sister and she makes a lot of noise”.

Instead of spending your time asking many questions in a blog I would like to recommend you read some introductory text of philosophy first. I am not sure what to recommend. What I would certainly not recommend is to take seriously books on philosophical matters written by physical scientists – such writers tend to be completely clueless. I say look around, read the introductions or reviews, and start somewhere.
I tried to read Socrates and the lot but it made me think I was stupid. I thought Greek would have answers given the legendary literature and it has been spectacular.
Wrt Christianity, would you suggest Septuagint or vulgate?

Milton Platt

Nobody fully understands what consciousness is. How can you say a child does?

I tried to read Socrates and the lot but it made me think I was stupid.

Socrates has not written anything, so it can´t be the case that you´ve read him. And in any case a book by a great philosopher is probably not a good choice for an introductory book. As for thinking you are stupid, there is a great distance between stupidity and ignorance.