• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you look for in art?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you are looking to buy art, what are you looking for (style/medium) ? What price range are you comfortable to spend on a painted picture?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've only bought art twice. In both cases, it was religious art. The more expensive was $20.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
If you are looking to buy art, what are you looking for (style/medium) ? What price range are you comfortable to spend on a painted picture?

I couldn't afford any of what i'd like,love surrealist paintings like Dali Manray or Piccasso,there are too many to list in that genre,i like Raphael.Titian.De Vinci and just about any classic painting but my favourite which even if you had all the money in the world you could not buy,the lascaux cave paintings,15 to 17000 bce and imo amazing.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

The original art we have in the house is of places that mean a lot to us.

The kids commissioned my favourite spot to sit and think. Painted in oil. One of the nicest presents i have ever received, I've not asked how much they paid but i guess it wasn't cheap.

73728_8f452590e31680d33cfa13bbca881297.jpg

Another small oil of one of the forest trails that we walk that cost €120

We have some watercolours, one a village scene, the other a landscape looking over a wooded valley, and a goat, looking through a 2nd story window of a stone farmhouse, quirky, i fell in love with it.
€160, €130 and €80 respectively

An ink drawing of our house was another present from a local artist soon after we moved here, his work usually sells between €60 and €100

We also have a a print of one of my own works, value, we charged £125,000 for the whole project, the print cost ink and paper and a lot of pleading with the customer to allow us to produce the print.

adam-vickerstx-screenshot010.jpg

exchemist

Veteran Member
I've always liked these wire sculptures by Luciano Bonomi:

02_thumb_ps.jpg

This one is "Ulysses' Return" and is in my living room. I've got about a dozen of them, bought over the years by my late wife. They have a certain wit and warmth, like good-natured cartoons in metal. Always a pleasure to look at, and nice to talk about to visitors. (Penelope looks almost as shocked as her suitors, to see Ulysses back again!)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've bought paintings from a couple of people. One artist did our animals and one did my wife and our dog at the time. In these cases the subject was the most important thing with a suitable background. I was uninterested in abstract expressionism but wanted something representational although the background did not need to be totally representational.

I can't speak to price because I've not thought about it.

Recently I've been impressed with the work of Jane Adams. If you look at this page her ability to give life to the eyes is what really draws me to her work. One example:

image.jpg

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
My tastes are varied and cost budget dependent but you might get a good idea of print prices from places like Deviantart and canvas originals from places like Etsy.

The last art I bought was a sci-fi poster print from a series I like.Resized_20210911_213625-01.jpeg
The print was $30.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I like art that moves me, or challenges me, or alters my perspective. I have no particular preference for painting, sculpture or medium.

But the arts include much more than the visual arts, and I love art that lives -- music and theatre, mostly, which are new every time, and everywhere they are performed.

Thus, I don't surround myself with expensive "great works of art," because they don't live. I can go back to the gallery to see them when I wish. Thus, in my home, we change what's on our walls regularly, but all of it just prints and the like, not expensive originals. Even the greatest artworks (Picasso's Guernica, or Leonardo's Pieta) can become mere background if you're looking at them, all day, every day.

MyM

I am very fortunate that my daughter is an artist God bless her :)

I don't really know anything about art, but if I want a pic of some sort, I just go and see what appeals to my eye. If it isn't too expensive I might get it, but tbh, I hate paying for pictures when I need so many other important things lol like food! lol

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My answer probably won't be encouraging, since although we love art, but we don't spend much on paintings. Our walls are covered with them, but they are mostly done by my wife or local Mexican artists. Victor Alcazar, who is a friend, does work like you see below. We encouraged him to raise his prices, since he was only charging about $20-30 USD for paintings like the one below when we met him.

Most of our art is ceramic statues (Sergio Bustamante, like the ark below), custom stained glass windows and hanging art, carved African dark wood, and assorted handcrafted art such as a large Huichol lizard and hand thrown Mexican and southwestern pottery. Also, a dozen assorted crosses made by local artisans made of pewter, ceramic and wood like below.

upload_2022-2-23_10-6-8.jpeg
images
images
upload_2022-2-23_10-14-18.jpeg
upload_2022-2-23_10-16-40.jpeg