• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you hate about your religion or the scriptures in your religion?

Bishka

Veteran Member
No, not really, I got over that awhile ago. I used to doubt, wonder and question as a teenager, but those issues have been resolved.

Not everyone has doubts about their faith, some people are just blessed enough to have faith without doubting.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
divine said:
zip, nada, zilch, nichts.
*nods*

Though my religion doesn't have any scriptures or sacred texts, so I'm not entirely sure why I'm replying. :rolleyes:

If there were anything that I 'hated' about my religion, I simply wouldn't include it, though I've rarely found anything that I can easily define as being simply 'loved' or 'hated' by myself.

d.

_______
NordicBearskin said:
Though my religion doesn't have any scriptures or sacred texts, so I'm not entirely sure why I'm replying. :rolleyes:

well, i was thinking about tao te ching - not scripture or sacred perhaps, but still...:)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Since my spirituality is what I make it, I'm pretty much up a creek if I disagree with what I've decided for myself to believe.

A

angellous_evangellous

ProfLogic said:
I am pretty sure there are things that makes you want to question about your beliefs.

Idiot pastors who do idiotic things is what I hate about my religion.

Aqualung

Tasty
Maize said:
UU encourages questions and constant examination and evaluation.
So does LDS.

There are frequenlty things that make me wonder, which test my faith. Then, I have to study it out and figure out if it can actually be like the Church says, or if it's wrong. I haven't found anything yet that is wrong. ;)

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
ProfLogic said:
What do you hate about your religion?
Well, since I was taught not to hate except that which is evil, my answer is nothing!:162: If there is one thing I strongly dislike about my religion, the Disciples of Christ, it would be the predominance of political correctness among many of our clergy.

It started with the revisionist hymnal in which songs were edited, nee butchered:( , to remove the words 'father', 'man', and 'He'. When we celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, and we recite parts of his 'I Have a Dream' speech, some people feel it necessary to alter his words for political correctness.:rolleyes:

I have no problem with contemporary songs and speeches and prayers that refer to God as 'mother' or as gender neutral, but I think it's a travesty to go back and alter what has already been written. Such alterations smack of telling other people how they should be relating to God which is a strong no-no in the cornerstone of our denomination.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I found the OP to be rather interesting. If someone hates something about their scriptures or their religion, they most likely won't stay or won't be there. Most of us have choosen our current faiths because we enjoy them and like them.

Fluffy

A fool
The only thing I dislike, very occasionally, is the fact that it does get a tad lonely. I can't really talk about my religious beliefs publically since I know it will merely be treated as an oddity and that means that I feel like such an outsider at church or philosophy circle.

sparc872

You mean you don't hate the lack of potlocks and free holy days off in your lack of religion? :run:

No, it was for people with religions...But I guess the one thing I don't like about being an atheist is the lack of like minded people out there that are willing to profess it out loud. Heck, I am still not to that phase yet.

Hey, I can still eat all the turkey, ham, steak, and crab legs I want to at Christmas :)

Booko

Deviled Hen
sparc872 said:
No, it was for people with religions...But I guess the one thing I don't like about being an atheist is the lack of like minded people out there that are willing to profess it out loud. Heck, I am still not to that phase yet.

Well, actually this is under "Biblical debates" which means maybe I shouldn't answer it either. :)

Too bad you didn't know me years ago. I had no problem professing my atheism out loud. I didn't go out of my way to profess it, but I never hesitated to speak out either, if it was relevant to the situtation.

I think I got that from Mom. She's sometimes says, "If you don't like it, you can always look the other way." She may say it nicely, but she does mean it as a serious suggestion...

You get crab legs at Christmas? I'm coming over to your place!

Booko

Deviled Hen
ProfLogic said:
I am pretty sure there are things that makes you want to question about your beliefs.

No, but there are some things about my beliefs I have some questions about.

The thing is, in the past there were even more things I had questions about, and by just following the guidance eventually I saw the point of why the guidance was what it was.

So as for the things I still have questions on, I figure there's probably just as good a reason for those too -- I just haven't figured it out yet. Hm, actually I'm down to one thing now.