• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you 'do' to understand God?

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
The end goal of many occult philosophies is to achieve so much control over the things around us that we ascend to a level beyond the gods and become essentially all-powerful. Now I and most others that practice know that this is just irrational, and that no person ever has and never will, but I like to think if we set our sights that high we never have to worry about hitting the ceiling, so in reality the goal is just to get as powerful as we can and to come to understand the workings of the world the best we can. We do this through magic and whatever else our practice contains. As far as getting close to the gods is concerned, I do that by just working with the gods I'm most acquainted with and building up a relationship.

sealchan

The end goal of many occult philosophies is to achieve so much control over the things around us that we ascend to a level beyond the gods and become essentially all-powerful. Now I and most others that practice know that this is just irrational, and that no person ever has and never will, but I like to think if we set our sights that high we never have to worry about hitting the ceiling, so in reality the goal is just to get as powerful as we can and to come to understand the workings of the world the best we can. We do this through magic and whatever else our practice contains. As far as getting close to the gods is concerned, I do that by just working with the gods I'm most acquainted with and building up a relationship.

But with the aid of science and technology wouldn't you be able to raise your expectations.

rusra02

Premium Member
However, we must be well aware that all God's promises are conditional to our obedience to His Laws. (Psalms 119)
Yes, as 1 John 5:3 says; "For this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments; and yet his commandments are not burdensome." Rather than a burden, I find his Laws a protection.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What do you, as an individual do, to understand or become closer to 'God, in the sense that you understand that term to mean? Do you feel heard? Do you feel connected? Do you feel misunderstood? Do you feel ignored? Do you strive to make a connection?
I would simply allow the matter to come out of the woodwork by remaining silent and observe as if I wasn't there.

I don't acknowledge God as it's put out in conventional terms of the word, but rather "god" for which the universe is not entirely composed of dead inert matter. Being there is no real or true disconnect to speak of, there are no feelings of alienation or separation, but rather natural guidance through the various circumstances and experiences that direct my way physically through life and how I think and view about things.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
What do you, as an individual do, to understand or become closer to 'God, in the sense that you understand that term to mean?

The concept of God comes easily to me. I was an atheist in the 1st grade. The reason is funny now, but it wasn't funny at the time! I began asking God to take my lunch money to feed the poor....every freaking day I put my money under that rock after school each and every day for weeks! And it was still there too!! I became a little skinny hungry atheist! I was horrified Christian Mom and dad would find out! Growing up Christian was difficult. However , science saved me twice!!!!

Do you feel heard?

Yes very much so! (I had a NDE)

Do you feel connected?

Absolutely

Do you feel misunderstood? Do you feel ignored? Do you strive to make a connection?

No, no, no. I feel one with Gods creation everything seems to be as it should be. Of course the wars pain and deceptions, mans Greed and inhumanity to his fellow man is beyond horrific but again they seem to confirm prophetic prediction. God bless all and my most hope is that Jesus returns asap to stop the suffering and pain.

A fav quote by a famous, and damn good mathematician;

"God used beautiful mathematics in creating the world." Paul Dirac~

; {>

Ben Avraham

Yes, as 1 John 5:3 says; "For this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments; and yet his commandments are not burdensome." Rather than a burden, I find his Laws a protection.

You are right, that to observe God's commandments is absolutely no burdensome; but we have Freewill and, since there is none who does only good and never sins according to Ecclesiastes 7:20, we all must suffer the consequences of our sins because God's mercy is conditional. And of course, the Law acts as a protection with the knowledge of what a sin is or is not.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
You are right, that to observe God's commandments is absolutely no burdensome; but we have Freewill and, since there is none who does only good and never sins according to Ecclesiastes 7:20, we all must suffer the consequences of our sins because God's mercy is conditional. And of course, the Law acts as a protection with the knowledge of what a sin is or is not.
I agree with one amendment.
If one regrets one's sins, is repentant, and resolves firmly not to commit it again and asks forgiveness from God, God out of his mercy may on His entire discretion forgive such a person. Please
Regards

Ben Avraham

I agree with one amendment. If one regrets one's sins, is repentant, and resolves firmly not to commit it again and asks forgiveness from God, God out of his mercy may on His entire discretion forgive such a person. Please
Regards

Yes, on the basis of repentance and the determination to return to obedience.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
What do you, as an individual do, to understand or become closer to 'God, in the sense that you understand that term to mean? Do you feel heard? Do you feel connected? Do you feel misunderstood? Do you feel ignored? Do you strive to make a connection?
To me, since God is unknowable the closest we can come to knowledge of God is by knowing His substitutes to humanity - the Manifestations of God.

Baha'u'llah gives a splendid introduction to the knowledge of God in the Kitab-iqan;

"No man shall attain the shores of the ocean of true understanding except he be detached from all that is in heaven and on earth. Sanctify your souls, O ye peoples of the world, that haply ye may attain that station which God hath destined for you and enter thus the tabernacle which, according to the dispensations of Providence, hath been raised...

...The essence of these words is this: they that tread the path of faith, they that thirst for the wine of certitude, must cleanse themselves of all that is earthly -- their ears from idle talk, their minds from vain imaginings, their hearts from worldly affections, their eyes from that which perisheth. They should put their trust in God, and, holding fast unto Him, follow in His way. Then will they be made worthy of the effulgent glories of the sun of divine knowledge and understanding, and become the recipients of a grace that is infinite and unseen, inasmuch as man can never hope to attain unto the knowledge of the All-Glorious, can never quaff from the stream of divine knowledge and wisdom, can never enter the abode of immortality, nor partake of the cup of divine nearness and favour, unless and until he ceases to regard the words and deeds of mortal men as a standard for the true understanding and recognition of God and His Prophets"

(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Iqan, p. i)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't. The concept does not resonate with me.

chinu

chinu
IF, In any way/ways, we could have the control on going closer to God, than we would have never been apart from "Him"
Hence, its upto "Him" (God), to whom to bring close, and to whom to push far :)

Cheers!

Ben Avraham

I agree with one amendment. If one regrets one's sins, is repentant, and resolves firmly not to commit it again and asks forgiveness from God, God out of his mercy may on His entire discretion forgive such a person. Please Regards

Amendment is composed of two phases, one is to seek forgiveness of God; the other is to set things right with your neighbor, the victim of your offense. Usually, the issue with the neighbor must come first. Jesus once illustrated the case with saying that if one goes to the Temple to plea for forgiveness and is reminded that he has an issue with his neighbor, he must go set things right with his neighbor first and only then return to the Lord in the Temple. Something like that. I don't have the NT with me right now to quote the text for you.