• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do the wealthy spend their money on? It wasn't entirely what I expected

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Why do you think that the wealthy are the ones who are “keeping the economy going”? o_O Seriously.

They invest in business to make more money. They provide jobs. One needs the capital to get a business off the ground. So either they themselves or the banks were they keep their money is invested back into the economy. So jobs, funding for small business, plus whatever they personally spend. Buying cars, buying houses, going on vacation, making use of local business to support their own business ventures. Google for example looks for a location to support its business needs, local business support, personnel. Pays taxes to the local government etc.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I remember that about Perot.

My Brother in law worked with him on a couple of contracts. My brother in law, who himself is a legal immigrant has friends/contacts at the Pentagon. Meets personally with the folks who decide who the government contract gets awarded to.

Shaul

Premium Member
If they wealth hoard, then they aren't very smart. Best way to make your money grow is to invest. Hoarding money really isn't going to work out well for them. I presume that having made the money in the first place, they'd understand this.
But the “soak the rich” crowd make no distinction between investing and wealth hoard. To them invest is still “wealth hoarding”.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They invest in business to make more money. They provide jobs. One needs the capital to get a business off the ground. So either they themselves or the banks were they keep their money is invested back into the economy. So jobs, funding for small business, plus whatever they personally spend. Buying cars, buying houses, going on vacation, making use of local business to support their own business ventures. Google for example looks for a location to support its business needs, local business support, personnel. Pays taxes to the local government etc.
The super rich provide ****ty jobs which revitalizing worker unions would already threaten, and for the better.
Crony capitalism doesnt make the rich wealthy based off investment but based on trade negotiations between the rich. (E.g. Gate's dad bailing out the CEO of starbucks when he almost had the company bought from under him) The result is that disappearing middle class and a wealth inequality which demonstrably makes an economy both less dynamic and less efficient. You want a stronger economy? Spread the wealth around.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The article discusses raw numbers a lot more than ratios. Bezos gives 0.0906% to charity. If you make $25 an hour, and drop a $20 bill on two charities per year, you're giving more of your income to charity than the richest person on earth.

As far as I'm concerned, every billionaire is a policy failure on our part. I appreciate the American dream of climbing a ladder but not being able to pull it up after you. Wealth hoarding in this country is nuts.

It does seem like most success stories nowadays come from people who had the advantage of an affluent background rather than the celebrated "rags to riches" trope.

Shaul

Premium Member
Since the 1%ers pay 50% of the taxes, doesn’t that mean that half of all the benefits provided by the government needs to be credited to the rich in the amount they give?

Shaul

Premium Member
I have an idea. All those that think the wealthy aren’t using their wealth “right” could simply become wealthy themselves and show us all how to do it “right”.

I do know this, wealth envy has never produced anything worthwhile.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well, I don't think it solves anything and it's the wealthy keeping the economy going. I suppose you could tax the wealthy until the economy stops.

The only people who think the wealthy keep the economy going either got their degree in economics from Fox news, or from a doggie obedience school. People that attended real universities know damn well it's consumer spending that makes the economy go around. Please be sure to correct your doggie on that.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I have an idea. All those that think the wealthy aren’t using their wealth “right” could simply become wealthy themselves and show us all how to do it “right”.
This obviously ignores the whole catch-22 at the center of the wealth hording issue. That's like arguing that those who go hungry just need to shut up and eat.

Oversimplifying and misrepresenting an argument has never produced any worthwhile counterpoints.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Well, I don't think it solves anything and it's the wealthy keeping the economy going. I suppose you could tax the wealthy until the economy stops.
It's those of limited means who keep the economy going because the majority need to buy food, clothing and pay for shelter. The wealthy can spend their money on estates in other nations as well as hording their cash.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Since the 1%ers pay 50% of the taxes, doesn’t that mean that half of all the benefits provided by the government needs to be credited to the rich in the amount they give?
That's a laughably incorrect number. Even if you were to accept that 50% compared to the much more cited 38 to 48 (and that's owed not paid) that's only income taxes not total taxes. Income taxes make up less than half of all federal taxes. The rich pay significantly less of employment insurance, Medicare and social security (majority hy the bottom 90%) And the federal tax burden on the rich has been continually slashed. Not to mention conspicuous changing of certain types of income to capitol gains to avoid income taxation, and similar shenanigans with hedge fund management which is why Trump paid no taxes for years early in his career.

But hey, if you think the wealthy pay their fair share of taxes then I have a copy of Trump's most recent tax returns to sell you.

All those that think the wealthy aren’t using their wealth “right” could simply become wealthy themselves and show us all how to do it “right”.
What a unique and original take on the 'only chefs can critique food' trope.

More worthwhile than bootlicking apologetics.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The only people who think the wealthy keep the economy going either got their degree in economics from Fox news, or from a doggie obedience school. People that attended real universities know damn well it's consumer spending that makes the economy go around. Please be sure to correct your dog on that.
Don't dis doggie obedience schools, please.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm more for a flat tax based on a percentage of income earned with no loopholes. It would still perserve incentive and remain fair and impartial.
I'm in favor of a gross revenue tax with no loopholes. Take all the money that came in, apply and percentage and pay that. No special tax rates. No expenses. Nothing outside of a percentage that to me should be progressive but would be a lot lower percentage than today because of no loopholes or expenses.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's those of limited means who keep the economy going because the majority need to buy food, clothing and pay for shelter. The wealthy can spend their money on estates in other nations as well as hording their cash.
Are you referring to cash in a mattress?
Or money in a bank?

Daemon Sophic

Let’s look at your final 2/3. You have to admit that 1 rich dude, no matter how flamboyant, cannot spend and therefore support local business and provide local taxes, more than 400 middle income people living in the same town. Period. Even the extravagant guy with 4 cars in his garage, isn’t coming anywhere close to the 400-600 cars those middle level families are driving around. So there’s your jobs too. All those items, all that food all that heating and electricity, all that healthcare, that the masses Demand overwhelms BY FAR, any amount of extravagant spending by the rare super-rich dude.

As for the investment bit at the beginning of your post? You don’t think that if middle income people get some spare money, they won’t invest it? They won’t put it toward their kids’ futures?

You know what they won’t do? They won’t sock it away in Cayman Island or Swiss bank accounts, to the tune of hundreds of billions or even trillions of dollars $$$$$$$. They won’t waste it on yachts and Lamborghinis. :eek: Oh No! Won’t anybody think of those poor Italian car assembly guys. :(

Daemon Sophic

Who just past the cost onto the other 99%. Or cut costs and start laying off folks. They can't invest what they don't have.
Somehow, I think we’ll all get by Juuuuust fine with the billionaires being simply multi-millionaires.

And ya know what else? I’m betting the multi-millionaires will be fine too.:)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Out of interest, what does the wealth distribution look like in a healthy society, to your mind?