• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do Sanatana Dharmists believe about Jesus?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It really depends on who you talk to. There are just so many schools (sects) within SD. It will range all the way from thinking he was an avatar of Vishnu to believing he didn't exist at all, or that it makes no difference (agnostic) at all. The only constant would be there is no hatred at all in the belief. Of course within the diversity we may have a few 'haters' but that's probably something that sunk in from some non-dharmic faith.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ismaila....,

Just for your understanding:
Any *BELIEF* system is BLIND i.e. Though the basis may be true but the individual has not realized IT, as on realization it is not a BELIEF but becomes TRUTH.

Dharma is all about *DOING* or ACTION towards realization and dhrama [laws of existence] being eternal [sanatan] it is an ongoing process.

As mentioned before Sanatan dharma is not a religion but a way of life down to an individual and Jesus by walking on his way of life realized and reached the state of oneness with existence.

Love & rgds

Onkara

In my personal opinion, what Jesus said could be aligned with the Hindu scriptures (which predate Jesus's birth) as long as one is prepared to overlook the Church based concept that Jesus is the only begotten son of God, then there is some added flexibility. Jesus and Christianity are not a requirement in my opinion. :)

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
There is no particular belief since Jesus is not mentioned in scripture (unless you believe he Bhavishya Purana, which is BS in my opinion) but I know a lot of Hindus believe that Jesus is an empowered person, like a saint.

He did teach some form of spiritual practice, and introduced love of Jehovah God as a Father, and that we are His children (sakhya-rasa).

I know other Hindus who want nothing to do with Jesus and Christianity, and that his teachings are imperfect, incomplete, and of some sketchy Jewish reformer. :p

Bhavishya Purana is just interesting at best. Thank goodness it has no real bearing to my spiritual life and practice!

native3

Shrinidhi Kowndinya
One Thing let me clear first

Sanathana Dharma is not a religion.... It is not even just a way of life..... its a lot more than that..... one could not possibly learn all the real meanings of Sanathana dharma..... its just so vast and complex it will always remains updated for any generations too.....

So saying that there is references that Jesus was an incarnation of Vishnu and others account the missing days of Jesus life for his journey to India in search of Spiritual Yogi's.....

But one thing is common in MOST of them is they respect Jesus as the man who brought god in one of the simplest forms....

Jesus did brought God to common man level....

I can proudly say "SANATHANA DHARMA ACCPETS CHRIST JUST LIKE IT ACCEPTS EVERYTHING ELSE" :bow::bow:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think He was sent by God, maybe not as an avatar or incarnation, but as a self-realized being, teacher and prophet. Properly, a prophet is one who speaks for God, not necessarily one who predicts the future.

There are people on the internet who are rabid Christophobics. I don't see a need for that. Unfortunately the message Jesus brought has been twisted and corrupted over the past two milennia. But at its core, it can mesh nicely with Sanatana Dharma as a way of life. Anyone who teaches love and tolerance, and to do no harm, and to love God above all else can't be all bad.

rewa

Hindus don't consider Jesus to be anything other than a man, who may or may not have existed. All this hoopla about "Jesus is an avatar" is by the people who need to sell Hindu philosophy to westerners. They are also known to be ashamed to call themselves Hindu and they call themselves by various names like "Vedandists" etc.

Onkara

Hindus don't consider Jesus to be anything other than a man, who may or may not have existed. All this hoopla about "Jesus is an avatar" is by the people who need to sell Hindu philosophy to westerners. They are also known to be ashamed to call themselves Hindu and they call themselves by various names like "Vedandists" etc.

namasté and welcome to the forum Rewa :)
I can see your point.

For consideration, this could also be seen as a dual edge sword. For example, many in the west intuitively understand the basics of Christianity whether they choose to be Christians or not. Those who look beyond the current understanding will find they are led comfortably into Hinduism by the Vedantists, through the use of comparisons and analogies. Once they have learnt enough about Hinduism to see its greater benefits the concept of Christianity and "Jesus as avatar" can be dropped for a more pure understanding of Hinduism. :)

rewa

Thanks for the welcome.:)

It is indeed a double edged sword.
The claims of the people claiming Jesus to be an avatar(Wrongly I may add) is causing a lot of trouble. The missionaries use this to convert people here in India. They firstly get people to include Jesus as one of the Gods. Then make him the foremost of the Gods. Slowly push the others away.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

"Shame" doesn't seem to be the reason they don't like the term. Then again, the only two Hindu Sages who came to the West who seemed to have an aversion to the term were Yogananda and Prabhupada. Vivekananda, Subramuniyaswami, etc. don't have any problem with it.

kaisersose

"Shame" doesn't seem to be the reason they don't like the term. Then again, the only two Hindu Sages who came to the West who seemed to have an aversion to the term were Yogananda and Prabhupada. Vivekananda, Subramuniyaswami, etc. don't have any problem with it.

As I recall, and I could be wrong here, Prabhupada on arriving in the US had practically no resources. He hoped for some assistance from the Hindu community and that did not go as expected, resulting in this aversion.

I am not familiar with Yogananda.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
As I recall, and I could be wrong here, Prabhupada on arriving in the US had practically no resources. He hoped for some assistance from the Hindu community and that did not go as expected, resulting in this aversion.

I am not familiar with Yogananda.

Paramahamsa Yogananda? Autobiography of a Yogi?

rewa

There are always newer ones. Peddling yoga, breathing techniques among other things.