• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do people care about?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Look at how many people it has killed. Look at how many people it has made chronically ill. Remember its victims also does include the young and previously healthy. It's not really overly feared as it's a facts the stakes are very high for what the odds actually are. When it comes to death, not too high. But severe and long lasting illness, those odds are not at all good with what's at stake.
Yes, the stakes are very high because when you are dead you are dead.... What about the word dead do people not understand?

Sure, I believe there is an afterlife but so what? We only have one life on this earth and even if people don't believe in God we all have a purpose to our existence.

It is not worth the risk of contracting severe and long-lasting illness. My husband is 78 and has severe asthma, so he has to use a nebulizer machine at home. He has not been in a grocery store or in contact with anyone except me since March although he finally went for a haircut once.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I think you're underestimating how much limited access to people's social circles is having an impact on on people's health. I don't think that excuses being reckless or selfish. But ignoring their pain doesn't help either.
I admit I am a bit biased when it comes to social interactions since I am an introvert, but as I just said to Shadow Wolf, dead is dead, and people do not come back from the dead despite what Christians believe. ;)

I am not ignoring anyone's pain but this country is in a major political, economic and health crisis so there are all kinds pain people are in right now. As such I do not think that lack of social interactions is as serious as people who are out of work and have no food and cannot pay the rent or people who have serious physical illnesses including Covid.

Everything in life is relative. My neighbor who is only in his 40s has been dying of kidney and liver disease for over a year and he cannot even come out of his single wide mobile home. He is in so much pain he asked my husband for pain pills because he cannot get enough from his doctor. He told my husband about a week ago that he just wanted to die and be done with it. I can certainly relate to that feeling because I have wanted to die many times on the past and recently. I am still in pain but I am getting through it, because I have my husband to talk to and my friends online I can write to on forums and in e-mails and I have access to a counselor if I need one.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I am not sure most people distinguish well between needs and wants.

Really, we need very little. However, most people are of a belief that that which makes them feel good and keeps them happy is a need. Its not their fault, really. Its the way you're brought up in the US. From the time you enter school, its ingrained in your head to do well, so you can have a nice job someday, and can buy nice stuff, because nice stuff makes people happy(or so its said). Its not encouraged to get a good job to benefit society, or to be a pillar of support to your family, its so you can get money and stuff. And it goes farther than just stuff, we want to be entertained, too. Because after awhile, our shiny toys get boring. But we don't want to sit in the yard with a cup of tea and a book, we want to go here, there, and the other place. We've become used to being bombarded with stimulus, so anything less seems boring.

So yes, during this pandemic, it may seem to many people that socializing less, or in a more private manner is indeed cutting into their needs. They need to feel important, as part of a tribe, relevant, and most of all, not bored. You ask them to stay in, and they feel sad. When they feel sad, they're told their needs aren't being met(because in this culture, the emotion of sad isn't allowed, and often gets confused for mental illness). So therefor, their 'want' to go to dinner with friends becomes a 'need', because heaven forbid they have to experience an unpleasant emotion.

I don't think Covid is a hoax. Its very real, and I have two family members suffering with it currently. One is hospitalized. If we could all just adjust ourselves a bit, there's no reason we couldn't cut back on some of the suffering.

But, this is just the way I see it.
I fully agree with everything you said. I could not have said it better if I had spent all night typing. :D
You and I are kindred spirits. :twohearts:

When I started this thread this I hesitated, wondering if it was a topic anyone would even be interested in, and wondering if people would think I was being overly critical, but I feel so strongly about this so I went ahead and posted it anyway, and now I am glad I posted it.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
What do people care about? People spend time and money on what they care about.

From the looks of things, at least where I live in the United States, it seems as if people do not care much about God or their religion; they care more about material things, entertainment, and social activities.

I understand that people need to work in order to eat and pay the rent but that is not what I am referring to. I am referring to what people do not really need, but rather what they want. Other than groceries, they do not need to go shopping, eat out or go to bars, and they do not need to go to the gym or to the movies or sporting events, and they do not need to engage in social activities or go traveling. Is this what people live for?

I understand that most people want all these things but they do not need them. Why is it so difficult for people to give these things up, at least during this pandemic?

Why Aren't You Praying to End COVID-19?

SalixIncendium said: ...So why aren't you praying?

1213 said: I pray that media stops lying about it.

So who here thinks Covid-19 is all a hoax?

Covid-19 definitely isn't a hoax because I know people who have had it and the symptoms are slightly unusual, so if not Covid-19 then their sickness was definitely something unique.

Also, the idea of it being a hoax is a political objection, not an objection based on science. Those who deny that Covid-19 exists in South Africa say that the South African government is operating a conspiracy to control the population. It is also quite telling that those who are objecting over here are white supremacists or those who hate the ANC.

If people want to say that it is a hoax then they should provide peer reviewed research to demonstrate that it is such.

Regards to needs and wants, we might only need certain bare essentials but many wants are to our benefit as well. Exercise is a good example. We don't need to exercise, but our health will improve drastically because of that want.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Marketing serves two purposes:

1. Inform people about a new product, brand or service.
2. Make sure that people think they need it :D

It's a funny question, because I thought about it not long ago.... "What if I were a billionaire, what stuff would I use all those money for?"

The first thing that comes to mind is, well I would buy a huge and really nice house. But then I think, what would I do with all those rooms? having to put clutter in them, having to clean them. I know I could hire someone to do that, but then again, I don't like the idea of having people running around in my house, its sort of like my "private" place and I think it would make me feel a bit like I was living in a hotel.
We have that big house and all the clutter and there is no way we can keep it clean or take care of it anymore. :(

We have the money but I do not want to hire a maid because I do not like strangers in the house. We only use half the house, we never go downstairs at all and now I am afraid to go down there for fear of what I might find. Sometimes living here is like hell but we cannot move because we have too many animals, inside and out. :eek:

It is a very unique house and property so I am constantly getting phone calls and postcards from investors who want to buy this house as-is. Part of me would like to move, but the other part wants to stay put and wait to see what happens in this country.
But also I look at places like this:
View attachment 45517

It looks nice and all, but I don't really see how I could call it home compared to something like this:

images

It's sort of to clean and perfect with no personality.
I like the second house better because I like the setting and quaintness but I do like that big pool at the first house. :)
I might buy a nice car and motorcycle, because it gives me freedom. Maybe some nice furnitures, art.. but then I would really run out of ideas. I hate shopping, if I have to buy something, I know exactly what it is and where to get it, and I make a quick hit and run. :)
I do not like shopping either and I am perfectly satisfied with our 1986 and 1999 Hondas.
Any nice furniture would be trashed by the cats as would any new carpet. :(
I don't like traveling and Im not a fan of going out to fancy places, I mean even going to the cinema annoys me most of the time, unless its a movie I really want to see on the big screen and that you can't pause the movie etc. Maybe I could rent the whole cinema and pay them to pause it whenever I stood up :D
You are a man after my own heart Nimos... I do not like traveling anymore either or going to the movies.
In the end, I would probably end up given a lot to charity and family and friends.
We have no children so all our money and assets will go to the Baha'i Faith and animal rescue organizations.
The only thing I can think of that I ever wanted were to not owe money to anyone, especially the bank etc. Because that to me, feels like one is not a 100% free and because I for the most part think they are some scummy businesses. But as it is now, I don't owe them anything, so I really don't know what I would spend all the money on.
Speaking of owing money, we do not owe any money at all anymore since the third house was paid off last spring, so now I could easily retire and still live well if I wanted to, but I am not ready to retire with the unsettled political situation in this country and with the pandemic. It is not good to make big decisions when things are so unsettled.
If everyone bought clutter like me, the world economy would collapse :D
I have you beat by miles... if you only saw my house.. The halls are lined with bags of dog food and bird food and papers are piled up on the table... and the kitchen.... it is almost impossible to find anything
Not sure where this question came from?

But surely its not a hoax, if that were the case it would be pretty difficult to explain the large number of death. Think about the amount of nurses and doctors etc. that would have to be involved... it would be the size of the flat earth conspiracy :D
If course Covid-19 is not a hoax, but some people will believe anything in spite of evidence to the contrary.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Covid-19 definitely isn't a hoax because I know people who have had it and the symptoms are slightly unusual, so if not Covid-19 then their sickness was definitely something unique.

Also, the idea of it being a hoax is a political objection, not an objection based on science. Those who deny that Covid-19 exists in South Africa say that the South African government is operating a conspiracy to control the population. It is also quite telling that those who are objecting over here are white supremacists or those who hate the ANC.

If people want to say that it is a hoax then they should provide peer reviewed research to demonstrate that it is such.
I fully agree.
Regards to needs and wants, we might only need certain bare essentials but many wants are to our benefit as well. Exercise is a good example. We don't need to exercise, but our health will improve drastically because of that want.
I agree about the exercise but I would classify that as a health need rather than a want. If course we can live without exercise so it is not a need in that sense, but it is also not a want like other wants, such as going out to eat or to the movies or attending sporting events or going to parties or traveling for pleasure. The governments in most countries have allowed people to leave the house to exercise because exercise is considered a necessity and it does not require social interactions.

firedragon

Veteran Member

From the looks of things, at least where I live in the United States, it seems as if people do not care much about God or their religion; they care more about material things, entertainment, and social activities.

I understand that people need to work in order to eat and pay the rent but that is not what I am referring to. I am referring to what people do not really need, but rather what they want. Other than groceries, they do not need to go shopping, eat out or go to bars, and they do not need to go to the gym or to the movies or sporting events, and they do not need to engage in social activities or go traveling. Is this what people live for?

I understand that most people want all these things but they do not need them. Why is it so difficult for people to give these things up, at least during this pandemic?

In business terms going to the bar is a need. Which bar you wish to go to is a want. Shopping is a need, where and what is a want. Going to a place is a need, what car you drive there in is a want.

Nevertheless I get what you are saying. For some people its very difficult to give up something because this "thing" has become nature. There are some who got so addicted to staying at home during this pandemic that its difficult to drag them out. It has become the nature. Thus, its very difficult to make a judgement call like that.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Who thinks cancer is a hoax?
Yet people still smoke.
I suspect many feel the risk of death is small enough that it is something they are willing to accept.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What do people care about?

Family and friends,

What we really care about/need is shown is Maslow's hierarchy
maslow.jpg

No, i know if 2 people who have died of it. If the ignorant aluminium foil hat brigade had taken notice of scientific/medical recommendations then maybe they would still be alive. A hoax does not kill.

Going around ignoring advice because "i have my right's" is irrisponsible and shows that those people's have no thought for others lives.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Who thinks cancer is a hoax?
Yet people still smoke.
However not as many people smoke as was the case before smoking was connected with lung cancer.
I suspect many feel the risk of death is small enough that it is something they are willing to accept.
The risk of death is high for smokers and the risk of death from Covid-19 is high in certain vulnerable populations, so the people who are not at risk of death from Covid-19 should care about the people who are at risk.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I don't believe it's a hoax. I am just skeptical of all I read and hear. A "real" emergency would not be political. People would KNOW and experience a real threat (say a bomb coming). There would be no skepticism because we-everyone-would have and receive the same message without it being mixed up by media. I agree with @George-ananda. It is fear.

I wouldn't be surprised if fear contributed to some of the deaths and cases. I do believe people die in complications of COVID but not COVID itself. I think once the fear dies down, we can get more of a handle on things. So, I can't be afraid on what I see on television, read on the internet, and talk about on RF and so forth. I definitely can't build strong opinions and even call people idiots for not wearing masks and other such non-sense. It's highly political. Hoax, no. But highly over feared-justified until people get others hurt over their emotions of the issue.

As for material things, I've never been one to separate that from the spiritual. I love to go out in nature, read a good book, have a good meal, etc. Sometimes I roller skate, and other times I relax. I don't believe in an afterlife and don't separate spiritual from material, so the things I need would also be the things that keep me afloat and make me at peace-whether it be outside, reading, or so have you. Spiritually, I take time out to do my thing. In the morning, evening, et cetera. I'm not sure why people don't care for material things in light of the spiritual. As long as each has their place.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I don't believe it's a hoax. I am just skeptical of all I read and hear. A "real" emergency would not be political. People would KNOW and experience a real threat (say a bomb coming). There would be no skepticism because we-everyone-would have and receive the same message without it being mixed up by media. I agree with @George-ananda. It is fear.

I wouldn't be surprised if fear contributed to some of the deaths and cases. I do believe people die in complications of COVID but not COVID itself. I think once the fear dies down, we can get more of a handle on things. So, I can't be afraid on what I see on television, read on the internet, and talk about on RF and so forth. I definitely can't build strong opinions and even call people idiots for not wearing masks and other such non-sense. It's highly political. Hoax, no. But highly over feared-justified until people get others hurt over their emotions of the issue.

As for material things, I've never been one to separate that from the spiritual. I love to go out in nature, read a good book, have a good meal, etc. Sometimes I roller skate, and other times I relax. I don't believe in an afterlife and don't separate spiritual from material, so the things I need would also be the things that keep me afloat and make me at peace-whether it be outside, reading, or so have you. Spiritually, I take time out to do my thing. In the morning, evening, et cetera. I'm not sure why people don't care for material things in light of the spiritual. As long as each has their place.

Of course a real emergency would be political when the president of the US makes it political

I wouldn't be surprised if you are talking crap about fear killing of coronavirus. Yes there can be mitigating factors but chances are those deaths woukd not have occurred yet without the virus, but possibly 5 or 10 years in the furure

And i now remember why i put you on ignore to a couple of months.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Of course a real emergency would be political when the president of the US makes it political

I wouldn't be surprised if you are talking crap about fear killing of coronavirus. Yes there can be mitigating factors but chances are those deaths woukd not have occurred yet without the virus, but possibly 5 or 10 years in the furure

If there were a bomb coming this way, I don't think we'd care who the next president is.

And i now remember why i put you on ignore to a couple of months.

I never had a problem with you. You've always had issues with me.

I've explained my position to you (and others), I created a whole post on it by itself, and created it as its own thread. So, you don't agree with my opinion-I think it's more what you think I said than what I actually said.

But, anyway. That's your thing. The only time I ignore is if someone is making off-ball comments "just" to excite a debate (troll like behavior). There are few people I STRONGLY disagree with (I don't 'ignore' them-I just talk about things that won't upset me), and you're not one of them. I never got anything from you that would make me want to ignore you.

ChristineM

Premium Member
If there were a bomb coming this way, I don't think we'd care who the next president is.

I never had a problem with you. You've always had issues with me.

I've explained my position to you (and others), I created a whole post on it by itself, and created it as its own thread. So, you don't agree with my opinion-I think it's more what you think I said than what I actually said.

But, anyway. That's your thing. The only time I ignore is if someone is making off-ball comments "just" to excite a debate (troll like behavior). There are few people I STRONGLY disagree with (I don't 'ignore' them-I just talk about things that won't upset me), and you're not one of them. I never got anything from you that would make me want to ignore you.

What has a bomb to do with it? I have survived a bomb, with my medical condition, (which does not generally alter my life expectancy) coronavirus will kill me.

Why you use ignore is not my problem, why i use ignore is because i cannot be bothered with the drivel any longer

FYI
Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19, by Age and ...

Read it if you want

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Why do you reply to me if you're going to bring up issues with everything I say?

What has a bomb to do with it? I have survived a bomb, with my medical condition, (which does not generally alter my life expectancy) coronavirus will kill me.

It's a contrasting the seriousness of both issues. COVID is highly political. People are skeptical which is their right.

Compared to

IF there were a bomb, it would not be political. No one would be skeptical. It's a threat everyone is aware of not just online, on t.v., et cetera.

It's just an opinion.

Why you use ignore is not my problem, why i use ignore is because i cannot be bothered with the drivel any longer

Why are you getting all worked up over this?

I have no issues with you.

If you do with me, don't reply. It's no big deal Christine.

Nimos

We have that big house and all the clutter and there is no way we can keep it clean or take care of it anymore. :(
I think most people run into this, even if they have a small place. I have that and even I get annoyed, so I try to just throw out things on a regular basis, if I haven't used them in a month or two and have no immediate personal value to me, then its history :D

And I don't want or buy things I don't really need, just for having them.

I think that is another good reason for why I wouldn't want all these things that one would think you want if you had a lot of money, like several houses, boats, cars etc.

You still have to take care of them, and obviously you can hire people to do it, but then you need to spend time on that and I think most know that it can be quite time consuming and then something goes wrong, or it weren't done they way you agreed etc. It just doesn't seem to be worth it, taken into account that you can only be one place at the time. :)

We have no children so all our money and assets will go to the Baha'i Faith and animal rescue organizations.
Animal rescue is good, but I would probably give a lot of money to health stuff, as that seem to benefit a lot of people with cures etc. You could always open an animal sanctuary, probably a lot of animals in need of help :)

ChristineM

Premium Member
Why do you reply to me if you're going to bring up issues with everything I say?

Public thread, am i not allowed to show how wrong you are?. When people promote murder should i just sit back and ignore it?

It's a contrasting the seriousness of both issues. COVID is highly political. People are skeptical which is their right.

Compared to

IF there were a bomb, it would not be political. No one would be skeptical. It's a threat everyone is aware of not just online, on t.v., et cetera.

It's just an opinion.

Right? And this is my "problem" with you. This disease has killed millions worldwide but be because an imbecile I the Whitehouse mocks it then people become skeptical. And so flout medical recommendations and hence the us, the most technologically advanced country in the world shows the highest number of deaths pet capita. Right??? No, very wrong.

Covid 19 has KILLED hundreds of thousands, so does an atomic bomb but the bomb makes a bang and destroys property, covid doesn't.

Why are you getting all worked up over this?

I have no issues with you.

If you do with me, don't reply. It's no big deal Christine.

It is a big deal when someone promotes skepticism over a killer, when that skepticism can entice the flouting of recommendations which in turn may kill a third party. I don't know about you but i an keen to see my kids grow to become responsible adults...