• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do people care about?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Is 250,000 Americans dead [and counting] a "hoax" or "overrated", especially since the rate of infection is going up in a geometric progression? Compare this to 9-11 when 3000 Americans tragically were killed and how we reacted to that.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Public thread, am i not allowed to show how wrong you are?. When people promote murder should i just sit back and ignore it?

You're "tone" is uncalled for.

Promote murder? When have I promoted murder?

That sounds like you're reading A LOT into what I'm saying. I know you have strong feelings about the topic but there's no use in raising your tone for another person's "opinion."

Right? And this is my "problem" with you. This disease has killed millions worldwide but be because an imbecile I the Whitehouse mocks it then people become skeptical. And so flout medical recommendations and hence the us, the most technologically advanced country in the world shows the highest number of deaths pet capita. Right??? No, very wrong.

Okay.... Some people can't be skeptical??

People are skeptical for Many reasons. We're not all murderers just because we are skeptical (RF tends to let us hold opinions without hopefully being attacked for them)

Covid 19 has KILLED hundreds of thousands, so does an atomic bomb but the bomb makes a bang and destroys property, covid doesn't.

Yes. That's my point. One is an immediate threat. The other is not. That's probably why there is high politics in the latter.

It is a big deal when someone promotes skepticism over a killer, when that skepticism can entice the flouting of recommendations which in turn may kill a third party. I don't know about you but i an keen to see my kids grow to become responsible adults...

Don't take it out on me, though. I have a less risk of catching the illness (and many of them), so it doesn't affect me as hard as older folks, or people who have pre-existing illnesses et cetera to which their immune system is weakened. I try to take things into perspective.

I understand it's a personal issue for you. It is for a lot of people. That doesn't change my opinion but calling me a killer (or promoting such) is totally uncalled for. You act as if I walk out coughing on people and making them sick. Opinions don't kill. Actions do.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You're "tone" is uncalled for.

Promote murder? When have I promoted murder?

That sounds like you're reading A LOT into what I'm saying. I know you have strong feelings about the topic but there's no use in raising your tone for another person's "opinion."

Okay.... Some people can't be skeptical??

People are skeptical for Many reasons. We're not all murderers just because we are skeptical (RF tends to let us hold opinions without hopefully being attacked for them)

Yes. That's my point. One is an immediate threat. The other is not. That's probably why there is high politics in the latter.

Don't take it out on me, though. I have a less risk of catching the illness (and many of them), so it doesn't affect me as hard as older folks, or people who have pre-existing illnesses et cetera to which their immune system is weakened. I try to take things into perspective.

I understand it's a personal issue for you. It is for a lot of people. That doesn't change my opinion but calling me a killer (or promoting such) is totally uncalled for. You act as if I walk out coughing on people and making them sick. Opinions don't kill. Actions do.

You promote skepticism, you can waffle all you want but i will always consider that, in the case if covid 19, to be akin to deliberate murder. Peoples lives are at stake and if you refuse to see that when dont whinge to me because i take it seriously.

Opinions dictate actions

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You promote skepticism, you can waffle all you want but i will always consider that, in the case if covid 19, to be akin to deliberate murder. Peoples lives are at stake and if you refuse to see that when dont whinge to me because i take it seriously.

That's silly Christine. What you said is wrong.

Skepticism just questions the truth or doubt about something. It doesn't make any sides one way or another. It doesn't promote anything. Opinions don't kill. If I said I DO support killing others because I DO believe COVID is a hoax, that's one thing.

But my first comment to this OP was I thought it was not a hoax.

So you're going off of something I totally do not agree with.

You're getting upset over your opinions of what you think I said not what I actually said. Assumptions are the roots of all evils. Ask my intentions before you argue against them.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The truth is beyond doubt, to question facts in the light of evidence is aluminium hat territory.

And contradicting your claims is not getting upset

Accusations (promoting murder) and assumptions (i.e. you don't care about people) make online text sound emotionally charged.

Skepticism doesn't say something is true or false and, by nature of the definition, it doesn't promote anything right or wrong.

I just don't have the "passion" you guys have over this (and other) issues. It does not mean I don't care about people. My mother is at risk of COVID and she's very precautious per her job duties, her illness, and otherwise. Of course I have my skepticism but not insofar to hurt other people's feelings because of them.

That. And what kills people with this disease is the virus itself, not someone's opinion. I can see you getting worked up (per your words and tone) if I said "I don't wear masks and I get up in people's faces (as examples only)" but I never said that and do that.

It's fine to question my skepticism but not insofar to accuse me of murder.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
What do people care about? People spend time and money on what they care about.

From the looks of things, at least where I live in the United States, it seems as if people do not care much about God or their religion; they care more about material things, entertainment, and social activities.

I understand that people need to work in order to eat and pay the rent but that is not what I am referring to. I am referring to what people do not really need, but rather what they want. Other than groceries, they do not need to go shopping, eat out or go to bars, and they do not need to go to the gym or to the movies or sporting events, and they do not need to engage in social activities or go traveling. Is this what people live for?

I understand that most people want all these things but they do not need them. Why is it so difficult for people to give these things up, at least during this pandemic?

Why Aren't You Praying to End COVID-19?

SalixIncendium said: ...So why aren't you praying?

1213 said: I pray that media stops lying about it.

So who here thinks Covid-19 is all a hoax?

I used to be into the latest technology, very few things in the entertainment industry actually entertain me, and I don't do much of any social activities. I guess I'm a miser and a hermit.

Covid-19 is a very serious pandemic.

I'm always looking for greater purposes in life other than looking out for family, and friends.

I have disabilities that keep me down.

My life gets very mundane! Very routine!

I buy a lot of books. I tend to read the spiritual books faster than I do the science books. I like older science fiction books.

Haven't had a pet in over 20 years. I'm 49 with a bit of a mid life crisis.

Very few religions interest me. Yet I love religious ideas. I'm uniquely syncretic. I cherry pick the religions I think are most plausible.

There's a Star Trek movie in which an old satellite Voyager becomes alive in the universe, and asks the almighty question, "Is this all there is, is there nothing more? That sums me up!

lostwanderingsoul

I do not know why there would be a correlation. That is like saying that those people all died because they were not careful enough, but I do not think that is necessarily the case. It might be true for some but not for all people...

Owing to people's different life situations not all people can remain completely isolated from others so some people are at risk.
Many people attended large gatherings witout masks and later got sick. Maybe if they feared it enough to wear a mask they would not get sick. Not everyone of course but maybe quite a lot.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Accusations (promoting murder) and assumptions (i.e. you don't care about people) make online text sound emotionally charged.

I have told you my opinion,. I will clarify, if an asymptomatic (or worse, symptomatic) covid carrier without mask and ignoring social distancing breathes, (that's breathes, not coughs) near someone then there is a possibility they catch covid which may or may not be deadly. Given the information available that carrier knows the risks and refuses to take measures to mitigate cross infection. To me that is deliberate. People need to be responsible for their deliberate actions. It is simply not worth pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger if you don't know if the gun is loaded with live or blank ammunition

Skepticism doesn't say something is true or false and, by nature of the definition, it doesn't promote anything right or wrong.

Actually scepticism doubts truth.

I just don't have the "passion" you guys have over this (and other) issues.

Ok.

It's fine to question my skepticism but not insofar to accuse me of murder.

I have nor accused you of murder (i don't think, if i have then i apologise) however i have shown you my thinking. As a similarity. In Russia transmitting hiv, whether knowing or unknowingly is an offense punishable with imprisonment and/or hard labour.

Oh and btw. Contrary to your opinion i don't have a problem with you, in fact i find you rather sweet much of the time. I just do not agree with you on your views about covid.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I have told you my opinion,. I will clarify, if an asymptomatic (or worse, symptomatic) covid carrier without mask and ignoring social distancing breathes, (that's breathes, not coughs) near someone then there is a possibility they catch covid which may or may not be deadly. Given the information available that carrier knows the risks and refuses to take measures to mitigate cross infection. To me that is deliberate. People need to be responsible for their deliberate actions. It is simply not worth pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger if you don't know if the gun is loaded with live or blank ammunition

I know. You're repeated this. Did you want me to agree because I don't disagree.

What do you want me to say?

Actually scepticism doubts truth.

I don't concern myself too much with COVID only with what I need to know and what our governor tells us the next move is. But given I agree with you with the COVID, asymptomatic thing, I think you kinda need to read about I don't have the same feelings of intensity as you guys and I do question what I hear rather than take things as is.

This is from the media not what WHO says and other scientific resources. Just media.

I have nor accused you of murder (i don't think, if i have then i apologise) however i have shown you my thinking. As a similarity. In Russia transmitting hiv, whether knowing or unknowingly is an offense punishable with imprisonment and/or hard labour.

Thank you. You said I promoted murder. That hit a cord.

I don't know what else you want me to say about your opinion. I agree with the facts and things you're speaking of. I don't agree with how you're saying it and the accusations you make of people you feel do not care. We can agree with the facts but not the way they are expressed.

I don't know about Russia to really say it's true or not, so I'll take your word for it.

Oh and btw. Contrary to your opinion i don't have a problem with you, in fact i find you rather sweet much of the time. I just do not agree with you on your views about covid.

Your tone and actions are contradicting this, though. Why would you "ignore" someone you just disagree with?

It's fine to question my comments but not accuse me of being, thinking, and feeling a certain way against people because of it.

The only couple things I think we disagree on (in my opinion) is the severity of the issue in light of other illnesses and the political nature that COVID is embedded in. I'm not a "take sides" person but try to put things in perspective.

If I went "with the crowd" I'd go crazy. I know myself well enough what to be indifferent to.... while at the same time not devaluing the seriousness of a given issue. It's been like that all my life-being neutral. Thank goodness I can shut the computer off. I couldn't do that years ago. Anyway.

A Vestigial Mote

I understand that people need to work in order to eat and pay the rent but that is not what I am referring to. I am referring to what people do not really need, but rather what they want. Other than groceries, they do not need to go shopping, eat out or go to bars, and they do not need to go to the gym or to the movies or sporting events, and they do not need to engage in social activities or go traveling. Is this what people live for?
While we may not see eye-to-eye on many other things, @Trailblazer, I am in agreement with you here wholeheartedly.

To my mind, it is a grandly misplaced perspective that feels that these things "make a life." Too many people view the fulfilling of their wants and desires as being one of the most important aspects of their being - when this is so very far from the truth. I believe such viewpoints arise because our basic needs are so well taken care of in many societies/cultures in the modern era that the focus of our time, care and attention is entirely too able to be elsewhere. No one feels accomplished with just "surviving the day" in these times - when I am sure there were times past where that was literally an accomplishment to feel good about.

If the procurement of your basic needs for survival doesn't produce (at the very least) contentment... then what ever could?

ChristineM

Premium Member
I know. You're repeated this. Did you want me to agree because I don't disagree.

What do you want me to say?

Oh, i thought you didn't understand.

I don't concern myself too much with COVID

Is that so?

Thank you. You said I promoted murder. That hit a cord.

I don't know what else you want me to say about your opinion.

You don't say

You've said

Your tone and actions are contradicting this, though. Why would you "ignore" someone you just disagree with?

Tone??? On the internet, text with inflection... cool

Why not?

The only couple things I think we disagree on (in my opinion) is the severity of the issue in light of other illnesses and the political nature that COVID is embedded in. I'm not a "take sides" person but try to put things in perspective.

You got that right, i have seen good people die who shouldn't have died dir several years, thats serious

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Oh, i thought you didn't understand.

Is that so?

You don't say

You've said

Tone??? On the internet, text with inflection... cool

Why not?

You got that right, i have seen good people die who shouldn't have died dir several years, thats serious

Christine. No need for the sarcasm (above).

Like I said. I don't have the same passion and feelings about COVID as others do. If it were things like asthma, cancer, or something yes, I would to an extent. I just have to put things in perspective. People are dying all over the world over many many diseases. If I let myself fall into emotions over every person who is sick and dying, I'd throw myself into depression.

No need for the sarcasm.
No need to get defensive because I said its sarcasm.

Just don't take your issues out on me, and we're fine.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Christine. No need for the sarcasm (above).

Like I said. I don't have the same passion and feelings about COVID as others do. If it were things like asthma, cancer, or something yes, I would to an extent. I just have to put things in perspective. People are dying all over the world over many many diseases. If I let myself fall into emotions over every person who is sick and dying, I'd throw myself into depression.

No need for the sarcasm.
No need to get defensive because I said its sarcasm.

Just don't take your issues out on me, and we're fine.

That was not sarcasm

And you think much of yourself to consider this was issues.

InChrist

Free4ever

Opinions dictate actions
I have skepticism every time I get into a car knowing even seat belts may not prevent my death or someone else’s. According to Worldmeter statistics there has been over 1,203, 780 traffic deaths this year. Do you consider me a murder because I drive a car? Should the government prohibit automobiles, buses, etc. because thousands die because of these each year? Do you drive a vehicle that could kill someone?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That was not sarcasm

And you think much of yourself to consider this was issues.

Sarcasm isn't a bad thing when it has its place. Telling you that what you're saying (some of it) is sarcasm is just observation from how you're talking to me.

Even "think much of yourself" sounds like you're saying I have an ego or selfish or something or other?

Anyway. I get you're hurt and upset over people taking COVID as not serious (in the way you see it). People are different, have different experiences over this, from different backgrounds, and-from different areas around the globe. So how we are affected differs from person to person. Some people it's more personal because they have loved ones died from these types of coronaviruses. Others see it on media but have no person to personal experience.

Your feelings are justified just don't take it out on me.

(By the way, the only thing I remember you're get what I'm saying was when you apologized for my thinking you called me a murderer. I appreciate that. You said promote rather than murder but it felt that way regardless) Just be mindful disagreeing with my observations doesn't invalidate them.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This disease has killed millions worldwide but be because an imbecile I the Whitehouse mocks it then people become skeptical. And so flout medical recommendations and hence the us, the most technologically advanced country in the world shows the highest number of deaths pet capita. Right??? No, very wrong.
I fully agree. One man can do a lot of damage when he garners so many followers who believe in him. It is just like a cult.. People do not think for themselves at all, they just worship and follow the man. It is sickening... Just thank goodness you do not have to live in the U.S. It is downright scary and depressing to think that 40% of the population voted from Trump, a pathological liar. What does that say about their character?

Well, at least he will lose his power soon, and it cannot come soon enough for me.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I have skepticism every time I get into a car knowing even seat belts may not prevent my death or someone else’s. According to Worldmeter statistics there has been over 1,203, 780 traffic deaths this year. Do you consider me a murder because I drive a car? Should the government prohibit automobiles, buses, etc. because thousands die because of these each year? Do you drive a vehicle that could kill someone?

If you drive the car recklessly.