• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What ? Democrats whining again

shmogie

The killing of Iran's terrorist in chief by a US drone in Iraq has really stirred up the democrats.

General Suelemani, was directly responsible for the deaths of hundreds, maybe thousands of Americans. He was the man who ordered the shooting of of peaceful Iranian protesters by the Iranian army. He was the architect of Iranian military incursions throughout the world, including South America. He was behind the recent killing of an American in Iraq and the attack on our embassy in Iraq.

Democrats are condemning the action as wrong, and are warning of dire consequences as a result. They are upset that Trump did not inform them in congress of the action before it occurred. In all respects Trump was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Yet when Obama violated Pakistani sovereign territory to assassinate Bin Laden, without telling Congress first, we all praised his action, Republicans as well as Democrats.

Which begs the question, what are Democrats complaining about ? Are we seeing TDS once again ?

It appears so to me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oh, yes, Conservative Republicans who want to feel so sure and certain of themselves they lift their self to the status of snow flake to make massive, generalized assumptions and lumpings. And if course it's all done without providing evidence to support the claim, let alone evidence that it extend outside politicians and the most derranged and disturbingly dedicated of the fan clubs.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The killing of Iran's terrorist in chief by a US drone in Iraq has really stirred up the democrats.

General Suelemani, was directly responsible for the deaths of hundreds, maybe thousands of Americans. He was the man who ordered the shooting of of peaceful Iranian protesters by the Iranian army. He was the architect of Iranian military incursions throughout the world, including South America. He was behind the recent killing of an American in Iraq and the attack on our embassy in Iraq.

Democrats are condemning the action as wrong, and are warning of dire consequences as a result. They are upset that Trump did not inform them in congress of the action before it occurred. In all respects Trump was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Yet when Obama violated Pakistani sovereign territory to assassinate Bin Laden, without telling Congress first, we all praised his action, Republicans as well as Democrats.

Which begs the question, what are Democrats complaining about ? Are we seeing TDS once again ?

It appears so to me.
It has not just stirred up the Democrats.

Across the world, people are wondering what the hell Trump is playing at. He has just assassinated the person who is effectively the 2nd most powerful man in Iran. It is rather like assassinating Pompeo. The guy is a nasty piece of work, with much blood on his hands, sure, but there are plenty of those who Trump is more than happy to do business with.

Everyone, not just Democrats, is wondering whether the Pentagon and the State Dept have thought this one through. Trump supposedly wants to disengage from military involvement in the Middle East. What's the calculation? Or, is there a calculation at all? Could it be just another impetuous knee-jerk by the Knee Jerk in Chief?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Across the world, people are wondering what the hell Trump is playing at. He has just assassinated the person who is effectively the 2nd most powerful man in Iran. It is rather like assassinating Pompeo. The guy is a nasty piece of work, with much blood on his hands, sure, but there are plenty of those who Trump is more than happy to do business with.

Everyone, not just Democrats, is wondering whether the Pentagon and the State Dept have thought this one through. Trump supposedly wants to disengage from military involvement in the Middle East. What's the calculation? Or, is there a calculation at all? Could it be just another impetuous knee-jerk by the Knee Jerk in Chief?
That assassinating the leaders of various countries might be more than a little irritating should be obvious to even the thickest of Republicans. I am continually amazed at how people that are rational in so many other parts of their lives can simply lose it when it comes to this man.

shmogie

No. After provocation after provocation, Trump has responded in kind. After all, the guy he smoked was listed as a terrorist in 2005.

So called strategic patience has worn thin, has accomplished nothing but emboldened Iran, to run amok, doing as they please against any and all.

What was obama playing at when he killed the hero of the muslim world ?

The calculation is very simple. I have an Egyptian friend who told me that in the muslim world what we value as strengths are considered signs of weakness. It began with Carter when our embassy in Iran was invaded, and our people were held hostage. Instead of giving them 24 hours to return them, or face destruction of their regime, Carter did nothing. That was perceived as weakness. Since then, under presidents of both parties they have continually attacked us in a host of ways. No military response. Iran simply saw this as a license to do more.

The paradigm has changed. They now are fully aware that their actions have consequences, serious ones.

We have ignored them, tried to buy them off, and let them do whatever. It has accomplished nothing, they have expanded their malign influence at our cost.

Lets see how things go now. Tit for tat, with each tat huge compared to the tit. This they respect, it is their way

shmogie

Oh, yes, Conservative Republicans who want to feel so sure and certain of themselves they lift their self to the status of snow flake to make massive, generalized assumptions and lumpings. And if course it's all done without providing evidence to support the claim, let alone evidence that it extend outside politicians and the most derranged and disturbingly dedicated of the fan clubs.
What exactly are you talking about ? what claim, what lumpings ?

exchemist

Veteran Member
No. After provocation after provocation, Trump has responded in kind. After all, the guy he smoked was listed as a terrorist in 2005.

So called strategic patience has worn thin, has accomplished nothing but emboldened Iran, to run amok, doing as they please against any and all.

What was obama playing at when he killed the hero of the muslim world ?

The calculation is very simple. I have an Egyptian friend who told me that in the muslim world what we value as strengths are considered signs of weakness. It began with Carter when our embassy in Iran was invaded, and our people were held hostage. Instead of giving them 24 hours to return them, or face destruction of their regime, Carter did nothing. That was perceived as weakness. Since then, under presidents of both parties they have continually attacked us in a host of ways. No military response. Iran simply saw this as a license to do more.

The paradigm has changed. They now are fully aware that their actions have consequences, serious ones.

We have ignored them, tried to buy them off, and let them do whatever. It has accomplished nothing, they have expanded their malign influence at our cost.

Lets see how things go now. Tit for tat, with each tat huge compared to the tit. This they respect, it is their way
OK so tit for tat is your calculation. Now we've had the opening gambit by Trump the great Tit, what do we guess the Tat will do? And then it will be another turn for the Trump Tit, right?

Doesn't sound to me like a strategy of disengagement, at any rate. I'm not sure I'd buy shares in Saudi Aramco right now.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Are you talking about people or dogs? That's what they often say about dogs, that if you show fear or weakness, the dog will attack. At least with humans, we can actually communicate. We can talk.

I remember the whole embassy thing in Iran when it happened. I think Carter was stuck between a rock and a hard place, partly because they were holding civilian hostages. If any hostages had gotten killed in an attempted rescue, the press would go ballistic.

But worse than Carter was when the Reagan campaign actually made a deal with the Iranians to keep our people hostage until after Carter was out of office. In effect, the Iranians colluded with Reagan and interfered in the US election of 1980. And then Reagan went further by trading arms for hostages in the Iran-Contra debacle. At least Carter didn't pay ransom. Reagan paid ransom. That comes across as pretty weak, but worse still, it makes us look foolish.

Let's face it, nobody really thinks that America is "weak" (except the US military leadership whenever they request more money). The reality is that we're more like some pitiful, oafish giant who is easily manipulated and fooled. It's more likely that they view us that way, but definitely not "weak."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But worse than Carter was when the Reagan campaign actually made a deal with the Iranians to keep our people hostage until after Carter was out of office. In effect, the Iranians colluded with Reagan and interfered in the US election of 1980. And then Reagan went further by trading arms for hostages in the Iran-Contra debacle. At least Carter didn't pay ransom. Reagan paid ransom. That comes across as pretty weak, but worse still, it makes us look foolish.
Can that really be stated as undisputed fact?
Ref...
October Surprise conspiracy theory - Wikipedia

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, maybe as much as allegations about Russian collusion, but considering Reagan's subsequent dealings with Iran which are undisputed facts (Iran-Contra), it seems quite possible.
We should avoid presenting the merely
possible or even likely theory as settled fact.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We should avoid presenting the merely
possible or even likely theory as settled fact.

Time will tell. I believe the evidence may come out eventually. There's probably some hidden vault full of secret government files on everything - JFK, Jimmy Hoffa, Iran, Area 51, etc. They probably have files on you and me, too.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Time will tell. I believe the evidence may come out eventually. There's probably some hidden vault full of secret government files on everything - JFK, Jimmy Hoffa, Iran, Area 51, etc. They probably have files on you and me, too.
Time and multiple investigations have turned up nothing concrete.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The file on me is sealed, & requires the highest security
clearance, above even Q. Why, you ask? 3 staffers died
of boredom while reading it.