• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Day was Jesus Crucified?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
So you don't see a problem with Jewish high priests in Jerusalem appealing to the Roman authorities for a trial and execution to be held during Passover celebrations. OK, whatever.
I really don't. Especially since many Jews thought the high priest at that time was corrupt anyway.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
You're not much better than smokydot.

The passover lamb was sacrificed and prepared on the 14th of Nisan. And at sundown, when it became the 15th, the lamb was then eaten.

there is a difference of opinion on the matter of exactly when the lamb was eaten. The day was from sundown to sundown. So Passover day would begin at sundown at the end of the 13th day of Abib (Nisan).
The direction Moses gave to the isrealites was that the animal was to be slaughtered “between the two evenings.” (Ex 12:6)

This is where the difference of opinion comes into play....what exactly is the time 'between the two evenings'
Karaite Jews and Samaritans think its the time between sunset and deep twilight but the Pharisees and the Rabbinists think its when the sun began to descend and the second evening to be the real sunset.
This is why some say the lamb was slaughtered on the 15th but if you take the former explanation of the two evenings to be correct, then the lamb was slaughtered on the 14th.

“Different opinions have prevailed among the Jews from a very early date as to the precise time intended. Aben Ezra agrees with the Caraites and Samaritans in taking the first evening to be the time when the sun sinks below the horizon, and the second the time of total darkness; in which case, ‘between the two evenings’ would be from 6 o’clock to 7.20. . . . According to the rabbinical idea, the time when the sun began to descend, viz. from 3 to 5 o’clock, was the first evening, and sunset the second; so that ‘between the two evenings’ was from 3 to 6 o’clock. Modern expositors have very properly decided in favour of the view held by Aben Ezra and the custom adopted by the Caraites and Samaritans.”—Commentary on the Old Testament, 1973, Vol. I, The Second Book of Moses, p. 12

dogsgod

I really don't. Especially since many Jews thought the high priest at that time was corrupt anyway.
One minute you claim we don't know enough about first century Sanhedrin to warrant my doubts, and the next minute we know enough to warrant your beliefs. OK, whatever.

sniper762

the bottom line is that the sabboth was then saturday. scripture says that he was crucified on the day before which would be friday. he was taken down from the cross that evening, placed in the tomb, remained there for 1 night and 1 day (sabboth), 1 night after the sabboth and was discovered to be gone, presumed risen before dawn of that day.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
One minute you claim we don't know enough about first century Sanhedrin to warrant my doubts, and the next minute we know enough to warrant your beliefs. OK, whatever.
The Sanhedrin and the High Priest are different. There is no contradiction here.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
the bottom line is that the sabboth was then saturday. scripture says that he was crucified on the day before which would be friday. he was taken down from the cross that evening, placed in the tomb, remained there for 1 night and 1 day (sabboth), 1 night after the sabboth and was discovered to be gone, presumed risen before dawn of that day.
You missed the whole point of this thread.

smokydot

One of the things that bugs me about non-Jews talking about Jewish holy days and the Jewish calendar is how sloppy they are.

For example.... calling the day of the sacrifice of the lamb "Passover" confuses the fact that the 7 day festival is called Passover.

Let me explain.

On the 14th of Nisan, in the afternoon, the lamb is slaughtered. When the sun sets, it becomes the 15th of Nisan, and the lamb is eaten on the first night of Passover at the Passover meal/feast of unleavened bread.

There is no passover meal on the 14th of Nisan.
Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

1) You are a day behind on your dating.

2) Passover was not a seven-day festival, it was the Feast of Unleavened Bread that was the seven-day festival.

3) Passover was a one-day festival, Nissan 14, which began the sundown before, and was followed immediately by the Feast of Unleavened Bread, Nissan 15-21, making eight days in a row of festivals.

4) Nissan 15 was the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which at this time was called Passover because it was the first of the eight consecutive days of festivals, but it was not Passover.

It was the common usage of just one name (Lk 22:1, Mt 26:17 ) to mean both festivals that causes the confusion, and is the source of your wrong dating for the one-day festival of Passover.

See post #55 for full explanation of the confusion.

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
You missed the whole point of this thread.

I'm guilty of that as well and had to back away as to not derail your thread but the idea of "3 days" is odd to me considering how their 24 hr. period is structured but that, I guess, is a subject for another thread.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

1) You are a day behind on your dating.

2) Passover was not a seven-day festival, it was the Feast of Unleavened Bread that was the seven-day festival.

3) Passover was a one-day festival, Nissan 14, which began the sundown before, and was followed immediately by the Feast of Unleavened Bread, Nissan 15-21, making eight days in a row of festivals.

4) Nissan 15 was the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which at this time was called Passover because it was the first of the eight consecutive days of festivals, but it was not Passover.

It was the common usage of just one name (Lk 22:1, Mt 26:17 ) to mean both festivals that causes the confusion, and is the source of your wrong dating for the one-day festival of Passover.

See post #55 for full explanation of the confusion.

Ahh, this is gonna be good considering he's Jewish.....:D

smokydot

Exodus 12:6 It shall be yours for examination until the fourteenth day of this month; the entire congregation of the assembly of Israel shall slaughter it in the afternoon.
Ok. Simple. The lamb is slaughtered on the 14th in the afternoon.
Exodus 12:8 They shall eat the flesh on that night - roasted over the fire - and unleavened bread; with bitter herbs shall they eat it.
When it's the 14th, and then the sun sets, it becomes the 15th. The Passover meal... the feast of unleavened bread... is eaten on the 15th.
Why in the hell did anybody start talking about the 13th? Exodus is crystal clear.
The 13th isn't the issue here, the 14th is the issue.
So let's look at more of that passage from Exodus.

"On the tenth day of this month (Ahib in Canaan, Nisan in Babylon) each man is to take a lamb for his family, one for each household. . .Take care of them until the fourteenth day of the month, when all the people must slaughter them at twilight

[literally, "between the two evenings", which could mean either
1) between the decline of the sun and sunset (Nisan 13), or
2) between sunset and nightfall (Nisan 14)]

That same night (Nisan 14) they are to eat the meat roasted over the fire." (Ex 12:3-8)

The testimony of the Church since its first-century beginning is that the meaning was 2), above, and that
the Lamb was slaughered, roasted and eaten on Nissan 14, which is the date of Passover.

Pegg (posts #20 and #102) and Onlooker (post #86, #112) have it exactly right.

See post #55 for more information.

Last edited:

smokydot

On the 10th of Aviv, the Priest would have a procession from the east of the city going to the Temple with the lamb. Crowds sang Psalm 118.
Yeshua entered the city the same route with the crowd saying a similar song.

For 4 days the lamb is in the outer court for all to examine for spots/blemishes.
Yeshua for 4 days taught in the Temple, with Sadducess and Parisees not finding fault.
The Passover Lamb was examined at the Temple by the Sadducees and Pharisees who could show no fault.

Morning of the 14th at 900 am the lamb was brought/bound to the alter.
Yeshua was tied/nailed to tree at 900 am.

6 hours both awaited sacrifice.

At 9th hour (3 pm) the lamb was sacrificed, at 3 pm Yeshua pronounced "it is finished".

For 1500 years the appointed festival God gave his believers to follow as "Passover" mirrored Yeshua's sacrifice.
The festival was appointed in Leviticus 23:5

Explanatory comments in red to your magnificent post.

More information in post #55.

Last edited:

smokydot

I'm guilty of that as well and had to back away as to not derail your thread but the idea of "3 days" is odd to me considering how their 24 hr. period is structured but that, I guess, is a subject for another thread.
The way the Jews reckoned time back then was any part of a day was counted as a day.

So, part of Friday and part of Sunday, would be two days, which when added to Saturday would be three days.

In other texts, it is reported that Jesus rose "on the third day."