• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Causes People to be Fundamentalist?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
In any religion. What causes a person to take their religious book the most literally one can possibly take it? What causes a person to demean and rail people who aren't their religion? What makes people feel they should shove their beliefs on others? In other words- why do people become fundamentalist? Is it insecurity issues? I just don't know. Why would somebody want to take the extreme position?

johnhanks

In any religion. What causes a person to take their religious book the most literally one can possibly take it?
OK, I'll bite. It's vested interest. When your whole being and prosperity are wrapped up in the maintenance of an inequitable status quo, you will attest to anything that props up that status quo; that's how the terms 'bible belt' and 'slave states' became interchangeable.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
In any religion. What causes a person to take their religious book the most literally one can possibly take it? What causes a person to demean and rail people who aren't their religion? What makes people feel they should shove their beliefs on others? In other words- why do people become fundamentalist? Is it insecurity issues? I just don't know. Why would somebody want to take the extreme position?

Self righteousness. Ego. And I'll throw in...a need for attention.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!

In my opinion...

There are, basically, two types of religious people.

The first base their beliefs on "Faith", a personal relationship one has with their Deity(ies). As it is internal, such a belief tends to be resistant to outside influences, and corruption, and scripture tend to be a collection of parables, guidelines, rather than strict laws to live by. These people tend to be those who enjoy debating scripture, and who tend to be tolerant towards other beliefs.

The second base their beliefs totally on "Religion", which is the expected set of behaviors of an adherent. These people tend to be very weak in "Faith", or such a personal relationship may be completely absent from their lives. For these people, as their beliefs are based purely on scripture, take scripture as THE word of some god, THE law, to be followed without question. Evolution and any sciences that show said scriptures to be false are to be ignored, reviled as "the devil's work", despite clear scientific evidence to the contrary.

Religion is also open to, even inviting, corruption in the inherent theopolitical power and/or monetary reward that a large power base, adherents, can gather to the person, or people, who control that religion.

The latter are the fundamentalists, people who take any criticism of their religion as a personal attack since their beliefs are based totally on scripture. Such criticism probes at the very foundations of that person's world view, their perceptions of reality, their core being.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress

Humans have in their nature, everything that exists in the nature of our world. Part aggressive and part passive. Some people are more aggressive and some are more passive, just like animals, but harboring more complex qualities, like ego, insecurity and lust for power among others. I think it is mainly those three things that make up fundamentalism though. Take a person with an aggressive nature who is insecure with themselves, hungry for power, and who has an already overblown ego... now put religion in their hands, and they will wield it like a shotgun.

To embellish on each quality...

Ego: The prince and princess syndrome of little children, nurtured into adulthood until it creates a monstrous sense of self-importance and self-rightousness. Loving yourself, and thinking you are better than everyone else are two completely different creatures. The problem, when you think you are better than everyone else, is that it is a constant struggle to prove this to yourself and everyone else. Everything is a dick measuring contest. What better way to satisfy this addiction for a sense of self-importance than to use "divine intervention," a holy book, and a whole religious organization?

Insecurity: I think this explains a lot about people's actions. Insecurity I think is the root of jealousy. If you love yourself and are confident in yourself there is no need to be concerned with others. Period. Improve don't envy. People feel insecure about their origin, their nature, and their death. Religions provides comfort and control here. Many people including fundamentals find happiness and comfort here, and they want to help others find it as well so they justify extreme measures. Humans have a dual nature of opposites, and our social contract keeps most of the dark elements of our duality in check, bust most are conditioned to think in an extreme way in that the dark part of our duality should be totally eliminated instead of loved. People are insecure when they are entertained by sexual things, violence, or other "bad" things, and instead of working with it, they take the religious idea to eliminate it, and instead make it worse a lot of the time, becoming more fervent in their desire to eliminate as their own problem becomes more serious. I think in psychology this problem is a psychological defense mechanism called projection. Lastly, people fear death. Then there are those like me who don't necessarily fear death, but fear being without those they love. The answers to this problem that religion provides is a control mechanism that works through comfort and fear. Without the insecurities, there would be no need for comfort and no place to instill fear. This both draws the insecure to the fundamental religions, and then builds them up into a blind sense of security, which is then projected on outsiders.

Lust for power: Religions have so many control mechanisms to put at the hands of people with this complex it is ridiculous. Original sin, the atonement, control of sexuality, submissive rituals and practices, etc. People who want power and don't have the means to get it any other way have no further to look beyond having a say so in someones salvation.

If you want to understand why a religious group acts the way they do, take a peak at their god or gods. They usually mirror each other in many ways. In the case of fundies, you will see that just as they are in denial of their personality and character flaws, so is their god.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I suppose when someone believes in a literal, burning hell, they don't want to take any chances of ending up there. And some people are extremist in whatever they do. ;)Or maybe they were raised that way and most people don't really like change.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think another reason may be because they are new to a faith. Sometimes people calm down after they have settled into their new faith. :)

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I think another reason may be because they are new to a faith. Sometimes people calm down after they have settled into their new faith. :)

I totally agree. This isn't always the case but a lot of the time it could be. I have a coworker who gets excited over something new he is into every week or so. It lights a fire under his behind and he's overly passionate about it for a while until it fizzles out and he moves on to something else. For a lot of people, this excitement lasts longer than a few weeks. lol.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

IMO the modern world does'nt match the world of a said religion so as a remedy they go back to the basics

dogsgod

Fundamentalists believe that the God character of The Bible really exists out there and really did create the universe.

How are the beliefs of the fundamentalist different than anyone that believes God exists?

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Fundamentalists believe that the God character of The Bible really exists out there and really did create the universe.

How are the beliefs of the fundamentalist different than anyone that believes God exists?

What?!

Okay I will try to give an example or two. This one I learned in college in my world religions class. It may or not be totally accurate but it's still a good example.

Islam - Jihad - Holy war (or something like that) against evils or something.

Normal muslim - interprets this as an internal struggle against evils.

Fundamental or Extremist - interprets this as an external war and starts blowing up infidels.

Christianity - Anti-homosexuality - the bible does not condone homosexuality...

Normal Christian - it is what it is, they stay straight and let the gays be as long as they don't try to get married inside their church or whatever.

Fundie Christian - Goes and pickets Heath Ledgers funeral with anti-gay signs and other hateful crap while his family is mourning his death, because the guy played a gay part in a movie.

Hell let's give a non-religious example:

Animal Rights

Normal animal rights activist - volunteers at animal shelters, doesn't buy products made from fur, raises awareness other ways, good example would be the ASPCA

Fundamental animal rights activist - throws blood on people wearing fur, hangs themselves on a cross with an animal mask on in the crucifixion position outside of a church to show how animals are being crucified. Good example - PETA

"Religious fundamentalism is an ideology or philosophy that gives the religion absolute precedence over any other norm. It is usually accompanied by a literal, monolithic interpretation of sacred texts."

Glossary - Consultation Commission on Accommodation Practices Related to Cultural Differences

That is the difference. The religion/organization/ideology is believed to have ABSOLUTE precedence over any other norm.

I.E. more important than respecting a persons right to speech, right to privacy, right to mourn the dead, right to whatever they don't agree with regardless of the social contract in place.

Last edited:

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
In fact, I think that is the perfect way to describe fundamentalism now that I think about it....

When a religion, philosophy or ideology is believed to supersede the general social contract, laws, or basic human rights.

Social Contract:

"In order to accomplish more and remove himself from the state of nature, man must enter into a Social Contract with others. In this social contract, everyone will be free because all forfeit the same amount of freedom and impose the same duties on all. Rousseau also argues that it is illogical for a man to surrender his freedom for slavery; and so, the participants must be free. Furthermore, although the contract imposes new laws, especially those safeguarding and regulating property, a person can exit it at any time (except in a time of need, for this is desertion), and is again as free as when he was born."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Social_Contract

Basically, if we were all fundies, and all governed by religious law, we would all be back to a state of nature. The civilized world would not be civilized at all, because religious law could supersede anything the people wanted it to and no one would agree on anything. That's why we have basic laws and basic human rights. So the homosexuals won't get hung, the witches won't get burned, and we won't have any more crusades or inquisitions.

We have enough business wars anyway sadly, but just imagine if the world was saturated with religious wars as well? We'd have definitely nuked the planet by now.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

Apples and oranges are both fruit, too.

dogsgod

"Religious fundamentalism is an ideology or philosophy that gives the religion absolute precedence over any other norm. It is usually accompanied by a literal, monolithic interpretation of sacred texts."

Glossary - Consultation Commission on Accommodation Practices Related to Cultural Differences
The belief that God not only exists but created the universe takes absolute precedence over scientific observation. This is the belief of the fundamentalist yet is commonly shared by believers.

dogsgod

What basic religious belief of the fundamentalist is not commonly shared by believers in general?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Objectification of everybody except themselves.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
What basic religious belief of the fundamentalist is not commonly shared by believers in general?

That their religious motivations are justified in superseding the social contract and whatever social "norm" they wish.

That is the difference. They may believe the same thing, but one group takes the beliefs to the extreme.

dogsgod

That their religious motivations are justified in superseding the social contract and whatever social "norm" they wish.

That is the difference. They may believe the same thing, but one group takes the beliefs to the extreme.
If the common belief is true then what could possibly be wrong with taking it to the extreme? If it's true that God exists and he created the universe what harm could there be in teaching it in science class along side evolution or in place of evolution as the fundamentalist suggests? Believers believe God created the universe and then label those that act on that belief as fundamentalist extremists. Go figure. At least the fundamentalist is true to his beliefs. The believer waffles by saying they believe God created the universe but that it shouldn't be taught in place of evolution. What's going on in the mind of the believer?

Last edited: