• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What came before the Big Bang?

Jeremy Mason

Could be. I've heard an idea once that the fourth dimension is just the third dimension stacked onto itself infinitely. Similar to trying to get from 2D to 3D.

That's how I understand the fourth dimension. If one could infinitely and simultaneously access all time, 15 billion years seems limiting, wouldn't you say?

The Wizard

Are you trying to say there is no link to space and time?

If you are, you have a lot of reading to do.
There is a link to everything and time... everything that exists. Did the Big Bang create space or was it here before the Bang? Does space shrink on the collapse until there is nothing?

My guess is that the whole "something out of nothing" is due to LACK of advanced science and discoveries to measure, detect and go beyond the quark or quantum fields. Even if I were an arrogant one I would not claim that it all ends here at the quantum level and that there not the next level or things to be discovered. I'd say it is more like "something coming out of nothing we can understand or detect yet".

A thing cannot exist and not exist. This is called transformations, changing states... behavior not detected or identified yet. Things do not magically pop out of nothing or go in and out of existence as you state... But, that's just my opinion...

Last edited:

The Wizard

Could be. I've heard an idea once that the fourth dimension is just the third dimension stacked onto itself infinitely. Similar to trying to get from 2D to 3D.
I thought about that once. I arrived to the conclusion that at 4rth or 5th our normal 3rd would look similar to a 2 dimension or cartoon...

outhouse

Atheistically
There is a link to everything and time... everything that exists. Did the Big Bang create space or was it here before the Bang? Does space shrink on the collapse until there is nothing?

My guess is that the whole "something out of nothing" is due to LACK of advanced science and discoveries to measure, detect and go beyond the quark or quantum fields. Even if I were an arrogant one I would not claim that it all ends here at the quantum level and that there not the next level or things to be discovered. I'd say it is more like "something coming out of nothing we can understand or detect yet".

A thing cannot exist and not exist. This is called transformations, changing states... behavior not detected or identified yet. Things do not magically pop out of nothing or go in and out of existence as you state... But, that's just my opinion...

We are only talking about the facts regarding space time, and they are not up for debate. The math is perfect.

Yes the BB factually created space, and it is still expanding.

We don't know what exist outside our universe but it is not our space time.

Why mention collapse? so far there is no evidence it ever will. Probability say sit wont.

The Wizard

We are only talking about the facts regarding space time, and they are not up for debate. The math is perfect.

Yes the BB factually created space, and it is still expanding.

We don't know what exist outside our universe but it is not our space time.

Why mention collapse? so far there is no evidence it ever will. Probability say sit wont.
See, so time is a measurement of space as well.... a measurement of the Big Bang Creation like I mentioned. So, I'm lost on whatever point...

Why mention a collapse? Well, most things are cyclical. We had a bang for a reason. What other possible reason would a bang exist? I can't think of any.

edit: Except for the "white hole" theory mentioned on the following video. But, woa, that's getting really exotic for myself...

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
See, so time is a measurement of space as well..

No

Space is time. They are connected as one.

We had a bang for a reason.

Black hole exploding? who knows? we don't.

But ive never seen a firecracker or any other explosion, fall back in on itself.

The fact this universe is expanding at a faster rate, kind of throws cold water on your hypothesis

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The vast majority of cosmologists that I have read do believe that there were preconditions before the BB, however time move extremely slowly as compared to today because of the immense mass of our minute universe (mathematical models have our entire universe being roughly the size of a present-day atom). So, if one reads "time began at the BB", realize that this is a reference in a comparison with time today.

outhouse

Atheistically
Has this incredibly insightful statement been ignored throughout this whole thread?

The real point is the material that made up the material in the universe did exist prior to the BB. When and where is the question.

It is the term "nothing" that is being deabted. As it turns out "nothing" is something.

One hypothesis is that a massive black hole could have exploded. It cannot be discounted, and it should be investigated.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
The real point is the material that made up the material in the universe did exist prior to the BB. When and where is the question.

It is the term "nothing" that is being deabted. As it turns out "nothing" is something.

One hypothesis is that a massive black hole could have exploded. It cannot be discounted, and it should be investigated.
I didn't see that in the OP.