• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Anyone got any good book recommendations for anything regarding the issue of slavery in the early colonies?

I am reading "A Course In Miracles". I believe it is intended for a Christian audience who have become disenchanted with mainstream Christianity. Its purpose is to teach you what the ego is (pure fear, pure insanity, incapable of love and truth) and help you realize that the ego and everything that stems from it does not exist. Wether or not you are Christian is irrelevant (I,m not). If your mind is open enough it will literally turn your entire world right side up!

YamiB.

I'm reading House of Leaves, it's interesting but I'm having trouble getting through it. I think it has something to do with my personal distaste for footnotes.

I've also started trying to read Kim for Indian History; I haven't actually made it through the 40 or so page introduction yet.

cardero

Citizen Mod
615XJHFWWVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The Art of Maurice Sendak Volume 1

Author: Selma Lanes
Publisher: Harry N. Abrams; 2nd edition
Hardcover 278 Pages

A book which contains many images of the well-known author/illustrator in the United States, Maurice Sendak. He is perhaps best known as the man who encouraged timid children (and parents) to venture "Where the Wild Things Are", who revealed what goes on "In the Night Kitchen" and who proclaimed the unsung virtues of "Chicken Soup with Rice". This book contains early sketches, ideas that were never developed and penned fantasies created while listening to music. There is also an accompanying personal account of the artist's life.

The book's rich text is exemplary--based on interviews, conversations, and extensive research by Sendak's close friend Selma Lanes. The author invites us into the very special world of Maurice Sendak, a place of fantasies and wonderment, a land where adults can be children--and never grow up.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/615XJHFWWVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I read PKD's 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' on my weekend in Turkey during a day of relaxation in the pool and on the beach.
the book turns out pretty different from Blade Runner.

Last edited:

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
"Why Evolution is True" - Jerry Coyne
"Bones, Rocks, and Stars" - Chris Turney
"Greatest Show on Earth" - Richard Dawkins
"Liberal Fascism" - Jonah Goldberg
"Red Hot Lies" - Horner
"Stephen Harper" - William Johnson

I ordered a crapload off Amazon but have been way too busy to sink into them. I DID finish The Blind Watchmaker by Dawkins and I'm about 2/3 through Bones, Rocks, and Stars.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I am currently reading the final book of the Tawny Man trilogy (Fool's Fate) by Robin Hobb. And also Life of Pi. Both are really good!!

cardero

Citizen Mod
30.jpg

BACK ISSUE #30 (100 pages, $6.95) tunes in to your favorite Saturday Morning Heroes, headlined by the 1970s’ Shazam! comics revival and TV show—including interviews with TV Captain Marvels JACKSON BOSTWICK and JOHN DAVEY, and a look at ELLIOT S! MAGGIN and ALEX SAVIUK’s lost sequel to the 1974 Superman/“Captain Thunder” battle! Also: Space Ghost interviews with the legendary GARY OWENS (the voice of Space Ghost) and artist STEVE RUDE; MARV WOLFMAN’s guest editorial about the Ruby-Spears Superman cartoon series; Super Friends, in comics and on TV; the unproduced fourth wave of Super Powers action figures; Astro Boy; and the latest chapter in BOB ROZAKIS’ fantasy history of AA Comics! Plus: ADAM HUGHES pays tribute to the Rocketeer’s DAVE STEVENS! With art by C.C. BECK, DAVE COCKRUM, RAMONA FRADON, GIL KANE, ANDY SMITH, KEN STEACY, ALEX TOTH, ALAN WEISS, and an all-new cover painting of Jackson Bostwick as Captain Marvel by ALEX ROSS! Edited by MICHAEL EURY.

Alceste

Vagabond
Ooh - Vonnegut! Good stuff.

A Short History of Progress, Ronald Wright.

I wish I had more thumbs I could up, but I will have to settle for two.

Venatoris

I have a few on the go right now.
Anathem- Neal Stephenson
Pride and prejudice and zombies- Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
Black- Ted Dekker

richardlowellt

I suspect many here are avid book readers.

I am currently reading two, in tandem.

One, which is excellent, is Warlock by Wilber Smith. (Ancient Egyptian local)

The second, which is not quite so interesting is, The Sundered World by Frank Ryan.

How 'bout you folks?
Like you, two in tandem The life and times of Giacomo Puccini and Sessions with Sinatra (Frank Sinatra and the art of recording)

Smoke

Done here.
I've started reading Asimov's Guide to the Bible, but I'm not finding it as interesting as I had hoped, and since it's pretty massive I don't know if I'm going to make it all the way through.