• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

I just finished a history of Christianity, and I'm starting Christians Are Hate-Filled Hypocrites...and Other Lies You've Been Told: A Sociologist Shatters Myths From the Secular and Christian Media, though it seems (by judging the cover and the page or two I've read) to be written from a Christian bias, and I'm going to probably need to read it with a grain of salt. But I don't limit my reading to people who think just like me, so even if I disagree with him, I'll try to see my way through. Who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not really expecting it.

I don't only read on Christianity - it's just easier to find books on it than almost anything else, living in a small Christian town in the Bible Belt.... ;)

Haha, so I couldn't quite get into that book right now, so I read If the Church Were Christian (I think that was the title) instead, and now I'm reading a book on Archaeology and the Old Testament (granted it was written in the 50's, lol). I'll go back and read that other book when I'm in a better "mood" for it.... :)

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Dune isn't that bad.. it's a bit dry, but the concept behind it is worth it.

Just started Dune Messiah myself. Part 2. ;)

And finally reading Slaughterhouse Fivem by Kurt Vonnegut, I do love these type of books, though I haven't gotten very far yet, only just started it.

I usually have two books or more to read at the same time.
I see what you did there.

dust1n

Zindīq
Hey everyone! Been a long, long time. I'm currently reading The Society of the Specatcle by Guy Debord. Very great and ahead of its time, no doubt.

Hope all is going well on RF!

isobelinglott

I have just finished According to Luke by Rosanne Dingli and as it's on my Kindle I can just start it all over again because it's kind of obsessing what she says about St Luke being a woman. I can;t get over that an author can actually find stuff like that and research it and everything and I knew nothing about this.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Just finished all of the Iron Fey books up to now. Waiting with bated breath for the next book due out in a few months. Could not put them down. Read the Iron King and had to run out and buy the next two at once. Read the Iron Daughter and once I got to the end of it I put it down and immediately picked up the Iron Queen and didn't miss a beat. Flew threw them faster than any other books I remember reading. Even counting the two e-novellas that are kind of bridge stories between the first and second books and the third and fourth books. Absolutely fantastic story. I'd read the Iron Queen again right now if I hadn't lent all of them to my mother yesterday. :p

I just finished The Killer Angels, a historical novel about Gettysburg. Brilliant! I highly recommend it!

I also finished New Ideas from Dead Economists. A funny introduction to the history of economic theory. The author leans rightward. I just started a similar book, The Worldly Philosophers.

rageoftyrael

Veritas
I just read intrigues, which is the second book of the foundation trilogy by mercedes lackey. her valdemar books have always been enjoyable, and i enjoy some of her other books as well. if you like fantasy in particular, give her a look.

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
The Wish-Fulfilling Wheel by Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche.

wifuwh.jpg

I have learned so much about the White Tara sadhana from this book.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I've started "1984". About one-third through.

I've heard so much about it, in debates on these forums, that reading it is like meeting an old friend.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I recently finished "If a Pirate I Must Be" - a biography of Black Bart. It was excellent - and gave really interesting insight into the life of a 18th century pirate.

I just downloaded a sample of "In the Garden of Beasts" on my Kindle. Has anyone read that? It looks very intriguing.

I am currently reading a very good book - "Someone Knows My Name."

Outstanding Historical Fiction!!!, May 22, 2007
By
Phyllis Rhodes (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)

The actual Book of Negroes is an amazing historical document (a British military ledger) that contains the names and descriptions of 3,000 men, women, and children who served or were supported by the British during the American Revolutionary War. Lawrence Hill's The Book of Negroes is a brilliantly imagined novel based on the document of the same name and the events surrounding the relocation of thousands of Black Loyalists to various British colonies and eventually to Sierra Leone after the conflict. Similar in approach to The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman, Hill's offering spans the lifetime of the fictional Aminata (Meena) Diallo, an African born woman who escaped to freedom.

At the beginning of the novel Meena is in London, an old woman who has lived a tumultuous life. At the urging of her abolitionist sponsors, she is asked to pen her story which would be used as evidence depicting the cruelty and inhumanity of the slave trade. Meena, an intelligent, educated woman, authors her autobiography via vivid flashbacks through time. She writes, "Let me begin with a caveat to any and all who find these pages. Do not trust large bodies of water, and do not cross them. If you, dear reader, have an African hue and find yourself led toward water with vanishing shores, seize your freedom by any means necessary." She continues and details her life as a young child in an African village, her capture and Middle Passage crossing, enslavement while in America, relocation to Nova Scotia, return to Africa (Freetown, Sierra Leone), and partnering with abolitionists in England.

However to summarize the book in such a way is a huge understatement - it is steeped in historical facts that educate and enlighten the reader; I was pulled in immediately after reading the opening passages. Before her capture, African spirituality/religion, education (Meena's father taught her to read and write, her mother taught her midwifery), family structure, and culture are illustrated in her interactions with her parents and other villagers. After witnessing her parent's murder at the hands of African slavers, she is coffled and mournfully treks through the African interior for months before arriving exhausted at the coastal slave port. Meena transcribed the inhumanity of the trade, the stifling stench and horrid conditions aboard the slave ship, the rapes and attempted revolts that occurred during the crossing, and the shameful and dehumanizing experience on the auction block. She suffers hardships in America at an indigo producing plantation in South Carolina. She experiences the love and loss of a husband and children. Unwilling to work after the abrupt sale of her son, she is eventually sold to a new owner and escapes to freedom while in New York. Once there, she is employed by the British to record entrants into the infamous "book" and relocates to Nova Scotia. After a decade of struggling against the harsh elements, barren landscape and broken promises regarding land ownership; she and 1,200 other Africans relocate yet again to Africa to establish Freetown in partnership with London-based abolitionists.

The author notes in the Afterword where he has taken a few liberties with the timeline and some historical figures; however the vast majority of the book is factual; extracted from history books and inspired by diaries, memoirs, notes, etc. Hill expertly layers the social and political climates of the time against the protagonist's story. This novel is extremely well-written, perfectly paced, and highly recommended as a study aid for students or to anyone who enjoys the historical fiction genre.

Amazon.com: Someone Knows My Name: A Novel (9780393065787): Lawrence Hill: Books