• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the castes in Sikhism ?

ronki23

Ramgharia, Ravidas, Vohra, Jat, Khatri ?????

What are these equivalent to in Hindu castes ?

ronki23

I thought Sikh were opposed to the cast system of the Hindu society?

They are in theory but the castes I've mentioned above seem to be Punjabi names ? I don't know what they translate to in Hindu castes (which I assume have Sanskrit names)

chinu

chinu
Ramgharia, Ravidas, Vohra, Jat, Khatri ?????

What are these equivalent to in Hindu castes ?
Term ramgharia is used for the group of people who work using tools.
Term ravidasie is used for the group of people who do leather works (For example making/repairing shoes) Name was derived from the name of "Guru Ravi Dass Ji" he was also a leather worker.
Term Jat is used for farmers. Usually people associated with farming works.

Names are always associated with works.

ronki23

Term ramgharia is used for the group of people who work using tools.
Term ravidasie is used for the group of people who do leather works (For example making/repairing shoes) Name was derived from the name of "Guru Ravi Dass Ji" he was also a leather worker.
Term Jat is used for farmers. Usually people associated with farming works.

Names are always associated with works.

Yes but Sikhs still treat Ramgharia and Ravidass as below Khatri.

I don't know where Jat, Ramgharia and Khatri rank in the caste hierarchy.

Often people say most foreign Sikhs are Jatt but that makes no sense as there's plenty of farm in Punjab so why did they leave India ?

chinu

chinu
Yes but Sikhs still treat Ramgharia and Ravidass as below Khatri.
As I already told.. Sikh means a learner. The one who treat that way -- are themselves NOT sikhs/learner.

I don't know where Jat, Ramgharia and Khatri rank in the caste hierarchy.
Caste is nothing. All are equal. And this is what written in shri guru granth sahib ji. here: http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=AdvancedSearchGurbani

ਅਵਲਿ ਅਲਹ ਨੂਰੁ ਉਪਾਇਆ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਕੇ ਸਭ ਬੰਦੇ ॥
अवलि अलह नूरु उपाइआ कुदरति के सभ बंदे ॥
Aval alah nūr upā▫i▫ā kuḏraṯ ke sabẖ banḏe.
First, Allah created the Light; then, by His Creative Power, He made all mortal beings.
Devotee Kabir - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok
Page 1349, Line 19
ਏਕ ਨੂਰ ਤੇ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਉਪਜਿਆ ਕਉਨ ਭਲੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਦੇ ॥੧॥
एक नूर ते सभु जगु उपजिआ कउन भले को मंदे ॥१॥
Ėk nūr ṯe sabẖ jag upji▫ā ka▫un bẖale ko manḏe. ||1||
From the One Light, the entire universe welled up. So who is good, and who is bad? ||1||

Often people say most foreign Sikhs are Jatt but that makes no sense as there's plenty of farm in Punjab so why did they leave India ?
:D Its just because Punjabi's love being settled in USA, Australia and especially Canada. But, a long time back they love being settled in UK.

ronki23

:D Its just because Punjabi's love being settled in USA, Australia and especially Canada. But, a long time back they love being settled in UK.

Except it's particularly Jatts that do this. They also tend to be Khalistanis

chinu

chinu
Except it's particularly Jatts that do this. They also tend to be Khalistanis
Again I would like put here that the word "Khalistanis" is derived out of the word "Khalsa"
And, word "Khalsa" is derived from the word "Khalas".

Khalas means a "Pure"
Khalsa means "Pure-being"
"Pure being" means the one who is away from.. lust, anger, greed, false attachments, and ego.

This definition of True-Khalsa is totally contrary with the behavior of people who are trying be Khalsa/Khalistanies these days. They all are false khalistanies.

Being true Khalsa teaches one to fight with own mind, NOT to fight with other peoples.

Thank you. :)