• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the basic fundamentals of your belief system?

Fluffy

A fool
My belief system is ever changing and improving but the stage I am at has the following beliefs:

Logic should be the basis of morality not faith
"An it harm none, do what ye will" which I nicked shamelessly from Wicca because I think it conforms with the first belief.
Human nature is good not evil.

Those are my fundamentals and all the rest branch off from them.

No*s

Captain Obvious
The faith basically comes down to this:

Man is subject to corruption and death.
God became man and died. By death, He conquered death, and by subjecting Himself to corruption, He overcame corruption.
He established His Eucharist as a means for people, and their material bodies, to be reunited with Him.
This leads to one great incarnation of Christ, in which He indwells His people: the Church.
Christ is, thus, incarnated in the Orthodox Church again.
In the future, He will return, and His presence will cause that which has His divine energies inside it to glow and shine, but that which lacks it to be consumed by the same energies.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
In the immortal words of Rabbi Hillel:
"What you dislike, do not do to your friend. That is the basis of the Torah. The rest is commentary; go and learn!"
and learn and learn and learn and learn...............oy!

arthra

Baha'i
As a Baha'i we believe in the oneness of God, the oneness of mankind and the common origin of the major world religions that the great Prophets and Messengers were Manifestaions of God. That God has not left mankind alone without guidance.

Baha'u'llah also teaches Principles such as the need for a world parliament or government; the need for a world court; the abolition of prejudice and the equality of men and women; that the extremes of wealth and poverty should be reduced and so on...

- Art

M

Majikthise

What you see is what you get.
This is your one shot,let's play nice.
Some day I'll be a star.

Master Vigil

Hmmm... lets see. I was just outlining it the other day and this is what I came up with...

Theoretical
1. Basic Worldview : Universe is a place animated by spirits. Everything is seen as sacred. The natural flow of nature is seen as the "sacred" way and should be followed as closely as possible. The spirits are our "Leaders by example."

2. God or Ultimate Reality : There is one source of all things (Tao), genderless, and without human characteristics. All is contained within it. Spirits are direct creations from it and follow its way almost flawlessly.

3. Origin of the world : The source (Tao), how and why are not important.

4. Destiny of the world : Not important.

5. Origin of humans : The source (Tao), how and why are not important.

6. Destiny of humans : Not important, but most likely to achieve balance and oneness with the source.

7. Revelation or Mediation between Ultimate and human : Since all things are Tao, the sacred way in nature allows us to understand the tao. The spirits follow the sacred way almost flawlessly and are our "leaders by example."

Practical
1. What is expected of humans : Humans are not seen as higher than the rest of nature, but the opposite. Humans are to follow nature's way and the way of the spirits. This is done by ways of meditation and spirit works (meditation, drumming, etc...).

Sociological
1. Major social institutions : The most important institution is nature. Students start out as vigilants, and when progression is shown in their "nature of being" they are given the title Vigil. Then there are levels of Vigils...

Junior Vigil
Senior Vigil
Master Vigil
And one who teaches at any level is an Instructor Vigil

A Vigil can choose to work in a temple, or teach elsewhere. Or a Vigil may not choose to teach at all, but most are encouraged to do so.

Ok, so the last part is what I would like to see in the future. So far, I have only a couple Junior Vigils. But it's a start right? :)

standing_on_one_foot

jewscout said:
immortal words of Rabbi Hillel
Said while standing on one foot, I might add :D

I'm pretty fond of the Golden Rule myself...there are a bunch of Jewish quotes that cover things I value...

Lo alecha hamlachah ligmor v'lo atah ben chorin l'hitbatel mimena (It is not required that you finish the work, but neither are you free to abstain from it)

Pray as if everything depended on God, but act as if everything depended on you.

Justice, justice shall you pursue (my signature)

From the Talmud: There are three things that are a foretaste of the world to come: Shabbat, a sunny day, and sex (OK, this is actually just a quote I like for itself)

Elohai n'shama shenatatah bi, t'horah he (G-d, the soul you have given me is pure)

The whole list of things you're really supposed to do: honor father and mother, perform acts of love and kindness, attend the house of study daily, welcome the stranger, visit the sick, rejoice with bride and groom, console the bereaved, pray with sincerity, make peace when there is strife, and study the Torah

And there's more, both of quotes I feel apply to my beliefs and beliefs themselves, but that's a decent list for now.

Saw11_2000

Quoted from http://www.secularhumanism.org/intro/what.html

Secular Humanism is a term which has come into use in the last thirty years to describe a world view with the following elements and principles:
  • A conviction that dogmas, ideologies and traditions, whether religious, political or social, must be weighed and tested by each individual and not simply accepted on faith.
  • Commitment to the use of critical reason, factual evidence, and scientific methods of inquiry, rather than faith and mysticism, in seeking solutions to human problems and answers to important human questions.
  • A primary concern with fulfillment, growth, and creativity for both the individual and humankind in general.
  • A constant search for objective truth, with the understanding that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect perception of it.
  • A concern for this life and a commitment to making it meaningful through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our intellectual and artistic achievements, and the outlooks of those who differ from us.
  • A search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.
  • A conviction that with reason, an open marketplace of ideas, good will, and tolerance, progress can be made in building a better world for ourselves and our children.
Basically just Atheist and some be nice to other people stuff.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
all things are related to one another and equil to one another
all things depend on one another to survive so respect them and yourself.
Live in ballance: take no more than you need so that others can have what they need.
Think ahead, the choices you make do not just affect you but your children and grandchildren, try to think seven generations in advance, will you choice help or hurt them?
Your relationship with Creator, the ancestors and the spirits is personal so pay attention.
Be responcible for your mistakes when they happin and learn from them.

Be thankfull and be prayerfull...

wa:do

As far as what is believed, this post has already demonstrated a number of beliefs or concepts held by the individual. The probelm with all of this is that such denies any absolute standard of truth. If such a standard does exist (and it does), then what I believe is of no vaule to me if that belief is in direct opposition to that standard. Neither my sincerity nor my convictions will avail me anything if they do not conform to the standard. This is the problem. We have presented many different standards from what one personally believes to traditions, to their so-called "Holy Books." If God exist, (and He does), and He is all powereful, (and He is), then He could reveal His expressed Will to humanity (and He has). Thus it becomes simply a matter of accepting that Will or rejecting it. We can't blame God for all this religious division. We are responsible for that. It has often been said, "The Bible says it; I believe it; that settles it." This in incorrect. If "The Bible says it, that settles it, whether I believe it or not."
Prosecutor

Master Vigil

The problem with your theory Prosecutor, is that we don't know what the standard is. You don't know for sure that the bible is the standard, you only believe it. It is your opinion. Your standard may not be the universal standard. You may believe it is very surely, but that doesn't constitute fact. Just like if we see the same movie, we definitely are seeing the same thing, but we are perceiving it in different ways. Religion is the same. We both see the same thing, but it is so subjective, that we express it differently. Your right, there is one standard, but we express that standard differently. Some use the bible (Which I believe was written by man and not god), some use spirits as I do, some use other books, etc... We are all different, as are our beliefs.

M

Majikthise

prosecutor said:
As far as what is believed, this post has already demonstrated a number of beliefs or concepts held by the individual. The probelm with all of this is that such denies any absolute standard of truth. If such a standard does exist (and it does), then what I believe is of no vaule to me if that belief is in direct opposition to that standard. Neither my sincerity nor my convictions will avail me anything if they do not conform to the standard. This is the problem. We have presented many different standards from what one personally believes to traditions, to their so-called "Holy Books." If God exist, (and He does), and He is all powereful, (and He is), then He could reveal His expressed Will to humanity (and He has). Thus it becomes simply a matter of accepting that Will or rejecting it. We can't blame God for all this religious division. We are responsible for that. It has often been said, "The Bible says it; I believe it; that settles it." This in incorrect. If "The Bible says it, that settles it, whether I believe it or not."
Prosecutor

What is the standard of color?
What is the standard of how hot a pepper should be?
Sounds like the standard of your beliefs is total self rightiousness.:tsk:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Master Vigil said:
Hmmm... lets see. I was just outlining it the other day and this is what I came up with...

Theoretical
1. Basic Worldview : Universe is a place animated by spirits. Everything is seen as sacred. The natural flow of nature is seen as the "sacred" way and should be followed as closely as possible. The spirits are our "Leaders by example."

2. God or Ultimate Reality : There is one source of all things (Tao), genderless, and without human characteristics. All is contained within it. Spirits are direct creations from it and follow its way almost flawlessly.

3. Origin of the world : The source (Tao), how and why are not important.

4. Destiny of the world : Not important.

5. Origin of humans : The source (Tao), how and why are not important.

6. Destiny of humans : Not important, but most likely to achieve balance and oneness with the source.

7. Revelation or Mediation between Ultimate and human : Since all things are Tao, the sacred way in nature allows us to understand the tao. The spirits follow the sacred way almost flawlessly and are our "leaders by example."

Practical
1. What is expected of humans : Humans are not seen as higher than the rest of nature, but the opposite. Humans are to follow nature's way and the way of the spirits. This is done by ways of meditation and spirit works (meditation, drumming, etc...).

Sociological
1. Major social institutions : The most important institution is nature. Students start out as vigilants, and when progression is shown in their "nature of being" they are given the title Vigil. Then there are levels of Vigils...

Junior Vigil
Senior Vigil
Master Vigil
And one who teaches at any level is an Instructor Vigil

A Vigil can choose to work in a temple, or teach elsewhere. Or a Vigil may not choose to teach at all, but most are encouraged to do so.

Ok, so the last part is what I would like to see in the future. So far, I have only a couple Junior Vigils. But it's a start right? :)
OK, M.V - I thought I would find your interpretation Interesting;
Theoretical
1. I agree without reserve
2. I agree; I do not see my God as a person; I believe that we (Human, animals, flaura fauna..etc are all Components of God (I.e the sum total of everything in the universe is God) - you call it Tao, but it is the same
3., 4., 5., 6. I guess they probably are unimportant, and I believe that with a human consciousness I would be totally incapable of understanding, But.........I'm inquisitive and curious
7. yes
PRACTICAL
1. I agree completely, and I think one of the initial lessons is to accept this concept; man's nature is to ASSUME that he's the best thing since sliced bread, but hes oh so wrong.........
SOCIOLOGICAL
yes, I agree; perhaps I would add other levels to the exact format you have quoted, but that is just 'finetuning'
So, basically, we agree.
The definition I wrote out for myself is as follows; it includes the reason for my belief in reincarnation and how that works.
I do not consider myself to be 'tied' to any particular faith, and like a lot of people I know, have a habit of taking the 'best bits' out of all religions to form a composite personalized individual faith.

I would welcome other's thoughts on these subjects, as it is only by listening to others and exchanging views that we can truly grow mentally and, hopefully, learn.

I have argued with those who do not believe in the existence of a 'Divine Being'-a God; I do not propose to give my explanation for my belief, nor for what I see as the fallacies in arguments against there being one.

We are here to grow; all life is attuned to growth, perpetuation, and lastly to decay. By definition, the 'Almighty being', 'God', the 'force of nature' - I call him God- promotes growth. Spiritual growth as well as physical growth. That such a being would shower some with advantages beyond the comprehension of those born devoid of any hope of anything but the most basic form of existence is contrary to the essence of such a being. That is one of the reasons why I believe in reincarnation - to me it is the only possibility.

I used to explain my Idea of the life of a soul by comparison with that of the life of an individual, in his own lifetime. When a baby is born, he is cared for by his mother until he is able to go to kindergarten, from which he will progress to increasingly demanding places of learning. At each stage of scholastic evaluation, he can either be promoted, or go through the same content again until he is deemed qualified to progress.

For the mothers of babies, read God of all Souls; for each year in school, read each incarnations on Earth (maybe elsewhere?). Using that same analogy, life as an adult in a field that he has chosen is the same for the soul who, by his own choice, commits himself to a particular task of self improvement. The last stage, at the end of all the lessons that are to be achieved lies the ultimate incarnation; I would propose those of Jesus Christ, Buddha....any example of a magnificent being in whatever religion. Basically they all have very much in common; they have all reached the same level of competence and are ready for 'the next step'. Whatever that is; we, with only the understanding of matter we can see can only begin to imagine what lies thereafter.:)