• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are Jewish views or feelings about people like Ruth (Goy) in the Bible

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
The Bible has the story of Ruth who was a progenerator of David. She was one of us Goyim.

What are Jewish views or feelings about Goy like Ruth in the Bible?

Thank you for all answers.

Tumah

Veteran Member
The Bible has the story of Ruth who was a progenerator of David. She was one of us Goyim.

She was a convert. See Ruth 1:16.
What type of views or feelings are you looking for?

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
She was a convert. See Ruth 1:16.
What type of views or feelings are you looking for?

Ruth 1:16 says that she followed Naomi anywhere that Naomi would go, not that she followed Moses or the God of Moses.

Are you saying that most religious Jews see her a having been a Jewish convert?

I'm just asking about general views/feelings.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Ruth 1:16 says that she followed Naomi anywhere that Naomi would go, not that she followed Moses or the God of Moses.

Are you saying that most religious Jews see her a having been a Jewish convert?

I'm just asking about general views/feelings.
In that verse, my Book includes her declaration, "your nation is my nation, your G-d is my G-d". If that is not a declaration of conversion, I don't know what is.
But, yes, that is the view of Judaism as defined by the Talmud.

Either way, I don't really understand why we should feel a certain way about it. Aside from the practical ramifications (in terms of Jewish law), what difference should it make?

Akivah

It's a weird question. You're asking what the entire religions's feelings are about converts? A religion doesn't have feelings.

For me personally, Ruth is admirable. The teaching proves that converts are just as Jewish as born Jews.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
In that verse, my Book includes her declaration, "your nation is my nation, your G-d is my G-d". If that is not a declaration of conversion, I don't know what is.

Either way, I don't really understand why we should feel a certain way about it. Aside from the practical ramifications (in terms of Jewish law), what difference should it make?

Thanks...are you saying that Jews view Jews & the Goyim as having no differences?

Peace to you,
Bro. (fellow believer in the God of Abraham) Noah

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
It's a weird question. You're asking what the entire religions's feelings are about converts? A religion doesn't have feelings.

For me personally, Ruth is admirable. The teaching proves that converts are just as Jewish as born Jews.

I see...Thank you, Akivah.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Thanks...are you saying that Jews view Jews & the Goyim as having no differences?

Peace to you,
Bro. (fellow believer in the God of Abraham) Noah
Of course there are differences otherwise we wouldn't need two different names. But why should that effect how we feel about other people?

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
Of course there are differences otherwise we wouldn't need two different names. But why should that effect how we feel about other people?

I was just asking based on my understanding of the subject, the Jews & the Goyim.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I was just asking based on my understanding of the subject, the Jews & the Goyim.
I don't know what your understanding is, but in the Jewish religion, you don't need to be Jewish to be righteous (unless you already are Jewish).

rosends

If you are looking for the differences, then worrying specifically about Ruth doesn't seem necessary -- Judaism sees different groups as having different tasks and responsibilities. All can, by fulfilling their roles, achieve divine approbation, but the particulars are different.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
If you are looking for the differences, then worrying specifically about Ruth doesn't seem necessary -- Judaism sees different groups as having different tasks and responsibilities. All can, by fulfilling their roles, achieve divine approbation, but the particulars are different.

Thanks.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork

Thanks, Tumah. You have helped me to see that my favorite version of the Bible is different from the KJV. :)

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Thanks, Tumah. You have helped me to see that my favorite version of the Bible is different from the KJV. :)

I'm a little confused. Every Christian translation, with which I am familiar, translates this part of Ruth 1:16 עמך עמי ואלהיך אלהי

They don't leave it out. The only difference from Tumah's translation is translating עם as "people", which is perfectly acceptable, rather than "nation."

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The only difference from Tumah's translation is translating עם as "people", which is perfectly acceptable, rather than "nation."
And, in fact, translating עם as 'people' is found in Chabad's Complete Hewish Bible with Rashi Commentary and the JPS Bible Commentary: Ruth.