• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What am i?

Hey everyone! Hope you're all having a nice night/day! Anywho I was hoping for some help about finding about what religion I am and seeing if my beliefs are similar the beliefs of a religion. So I guess I will list some of my main beliefs:
-I think that all people are equal, no matter the race, gender, sexuality, social status, etc
-I'm the kind of person that thinks that all religions are probably praying to the same god.
- Not sure what to expect in the afterlife
-I'd like to think that there is a god/holy type person out there that cares and can be prayed to
- I do believe in the commandments of many religions (ie. the golden rule)
- I do believe that evolution happened

I know that's kind of a vague description but can anyone help me please?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Perhaps Pure Land Buddhism or Theistic versions of Taoism?

Or the Bahai Faith, if you feel particularly in touch with the idea of the Abrahamic God.

Also, if you happen to have good access to a Unitarian Universalist group, it might be a good idea to know them.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Welcome to RF!

I agree with Luis, but I'd like to add Sikh and Hindu in there, too, if you feel comfortable with reincarnation.

Mind_Zenith

Broadcasting Live!
Hmm... I would suggest taking a look at the Urantia Book. It's quite a long document, and the religion surrounding it is entirely decentralised, but it may be just what you're looking for.

Main website here

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
The things you've listed aren't specific to any single religion. What you've listed is more of a world-view than concrete religious beliefs.

Any of the Abrahamic religions would work, provided it's not a fundamentalist sect. There are many Jews, Christians, Muslims, and Baha'i that believe the same things as you.

Then you have the eastern religions that have already been mentioned as well as UU.

Have you tried the belief-o-matic yet?
It's not great, but it can give you a starting point.

One Tree

You are a seeker, seek with an open mind, do not set it upon a belief or system of beliefs. Not here, but beliefs are even defended by war, so strongly held. Why be stuck or mired, be open, accept the teachings of teachers or texts you are drawn to. Look across the teachings of the ages and to the insights of today. You may find the same or similiar philosophy only to be explained in different ways. You will find what you seek but do not forget to look within for what you search for.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Hey everyone! Hope you're all having a nice night/day! Anywho I was hoping for some help about finding about what religion I am and seeing if my beliefs are similar the beliefs of a religion. So I guess I will list some of my main beliefs:
-I think that all people are equal, no matter the race, gender, sexuality, social status, etc
-I'm the kind of person that thinks that all religions are probably praying to the same god.
-I'd like to think that there is a god/holy type person out there that cares and can be prayed to

Sounds like Baha'i Faith or Sikhism

What am I?
You are pure consciousness or awareness. Atman is what it's called in Hinduism. One of the best ways to find your self is through yoga. If I were you I would start with Karma yoga to detach from worldly things. What ever you do make sure it includes meditation. The only way to find yourself is by letting go of all worldly attachments or desires.
If done right, entheogens can act as training wheels to help in a great way to open to aspects of the spiritual that could take years of development. Don't listen to all these people that say entheogens should never be used for spiritual purposes. Most of them don't know what they are talking about. If you do use entheogens use the plant ones not synthetic.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

It sounds like you are a healthy, curious individual. Why do you feel compelled to park yourself within the confines of a given religion? That said, the religions of the world all have their crumbs, but their loaves have long turned to dust.

Aside from this, I am going to guess that you are still very young. There is nothing wrong with that, but you might think twice before moving into any established religious thought. Why not keep your options open?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If done right, entheogens can act as training wheels to help in a great way to open to aspects of the spiritual that could take years of development. Don't listen to all these people that say entheogens should never be used for spiritual purposes. Most of them don't know what they are talking about. If you do use entheogens use the plant ones not synthetic.
That is astoundingly poor advice to give to strangers.

but you might think twice before moving into any established religious thought. Why not keep your options open?
YmirGF is right. I was mentioning karma yoga as way to help one spiritually even in this modern day living. I may self am not given to any one particular religion.

YasserKhalil

Islam adopts your hopes

We give thanks to Allaah, the One free of all defects, for having inspired us. And we ask Him to grant us the ability to act upon what He has given us knowledge of. Indeed, goodness cannot be attained, except by His granting and His assistance. Whomsoever Allaah leads astray, there is no one from His creation that can guide him. May Allaah send His blessings upon Muhammad r, the chief of the first and the last (of people), and upon his brothers from among the prophets and messengers. And upon those who follow the light (i.e. the Qur'aan) that was revealed to him r until the Day of Recompense.

To proceed, I advise you O seeker of knowledge to have a sincere and pure intention in your search for knowledge. And that you exert yourself in acting upon what it necessitates (from action). For indeed knowledge is a tree and action is its fruit. And one can never be considered knowledgeable so long as he doesn't act upon what he has knowledge of.

It has also been stated: "Knowledge is a parent and action is its offspring." And "Knowledge comes with action, while narrating comes with investigating."

So do not feel satisfied with actions so long as you are lacking in knowledge. Nor feel satisfied with knowledge so long as you fall short of producing actions. Rather, combine them both, even if your share of the two is small.

And there is nothing worse than a scholar, whose knowledge the people abandon because of the corruption of his ways, nor an ignorant person whose ignorance the people accept because of what they see from his worship.

Last edited:

YasserKhalil

thank you for seeking 4 the true way of Allah.

I advise u 2 read about Islam .

I beleiv n one God above all .
Really ! I love u n God ,and this is my belief.
peace be up on you.

YasserKhalil

Tolerance in Islam

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When defining one of its important aspects, Islam, it means complete submission to Allah by choice and conviction, not through seduction or compulsion. Islam accommodates and welcomes all people as brothers and sisters regardless of their distinctive/particular affiliations or backgrounds. The Islamic attitude towards the followers of other religions is not only to show tolerance towards their beliefs, but also to affirm a non-negotiable Islamic principle of tolerance and religious responsibility. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"There is no compulsion in [accepting] religion. The right course has become clear from error." (The Qur’an 2: 256)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] In fact, Islam through the course of its history has granted the people of other faiths the highest degree of tolerance by allowing them to follow their way, although some of their practices might have been in conflict with the religion of the majority. It was this degree of tolerance that the Muslims adopted towards their non-Muslim citizens. [/FONT]

YasserKhalil

[FONT=&quot] There is another aspect of this matter which cannot be found in the written laws, nor can it be enforced by courts or governments: it is the spirit of tolerance which underlies upright attitudes, benevolent dealings, respect for one's neighbors, and all the sincere sentiments of piety, compassion, and courtesy. Execution and report of such attitudes are required of every Muslim and cannot be obtained through constitutional legislation or court jurisdiction.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Many Qur'anic teachings have emphasized dealings with non-Muslims with justice and respect, especially those who live in peace with the Muslims and do not raise enmity against them.[/FONT]

"Allah does not forbid you concerning those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes from being righteous towards them and acting justly towards them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly." (The Qur'an 60:8)

"And they give food in spite of their love for it to the poor, the orphan, and the captive, [Saying]: We feed you only for the acceptance of Allah. We wish neither from you reward nor gratitude." (The Qur’an 76: 8,9)

Muhktar

Alhamdulillah
You have good intention YasserKhalil, however it seems there is a lot you have posted for our OP to take in properly.

Just know that what you have said you believe in suites Islam quite well, one could argue that homosexuality is not seen as equal in Islam.
Of course homosexuallity is not permitted, but that doesn't mean the person who follows it is not equal, everyone is equal.
A reason I believe that the act of homosexuality is not allowed is because of equal choice, if EVERYONE were allowed to choose homosexuality and did so, the human race would die out.
If some were allowed to do so, then not everyone would have an equal choice.
That is just my explaination on how Islam relates to the aspects you mentioned.

Moving on, it is up to you what faith you follow. "islam-guide.com" < this link follows to "A brief illustrated guide to Islam", it offers good basic information on Islam for a non-muslim and after taking a peek at that it is all up to you what faith you believe is right.
blessings and good luck

elmarna

i can say that you are still trying to place your self.
perhaps right now you can say i believe in the religion-"learning as i go"
it fits. Do not be so quick to place your service.
While the values & beliefs must match to make a fellowship...
It looks to me like you may have a little of everything.
that is not a bad thing,just to me means you are sorting it out.
find the strengths with in you.
What beliefs do you hold onto & bring to life in the way you live?
there is the foundation of your church.
think positive & look with open eyes!