• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What all religions may have in common

Kirran

Premium Member
Yup. I'm into it - but talking/thinking about it's all very well, get on with your duties and your practice! :)

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I believe we all religions have the return to the Source as their basic message. Source can be God, axis mundi, Source, center, etc...How we do that has been interpreted by each culture differently and over time(eons) has made it very difficult for us to identify the original message they all built their traditions on. What if this return is a message of removing the human experiential (mental garbage) from the divine spirit within the heart of each being. What if doing this is what returns us to our original pure state where we were one with each other and all things?

http://www.alchemystudy.com/library.htm

Please see the piece posted here titled The Three and The One.

I welcome all positive conversation.

Thank you.

Brian

The description informs the practice/ Alchemy is a physicality hence actuality, of the esoteric methodology by which we realize the greater picture. How do we know this? Technically, we don't, we surmise it. Theoretical alchemy isn't alchemy until proven so, /to the adepts. This means, like all arguments, one has to know the premise by which to present the legitimization of the position.

have a nice day,
syncretic

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
A bit too supernaturalistic to my tastes (which admittedly are rather restrictive in that regard), but I don't think it is possible to reach a consensus on what should be considered as a proper religion, so your attempt is as valid as any.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Yes, I think the ultimate goal is to experience and then find the Oneness again. This non-dualism (God and creation are not-two) is the ultimate truth but more difficult to grasp. The idea of God as a fatherly figure was a simpler concept for people of the Abrahamic era, but I see the Abrahamic era as fading to be replaced by Oneness spiritual thinking.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I believe we all religions have the return to the Source as their basic message. Source can be God, axis mundi, Source, center, etc...How we do that has been interpreted by each culture differently and over time(eons) has made it very difficult for us to identify the original message they all built their traditions on. What if this return is a message of removing the human experiential (mental garbage) from the divine spirit within the heart of each being. What if doing this is what returns us to our original pure state where we were one with each other and all things?

Thank you.

Brian

I disagree. I feel we are all doing mathematic problems but because I am solving for X by arithmetic and John is solving it by Calculius, because of the method or practice of the problems are different, yes every religion has a source (mystery), but not every religion has the same answer X.

We have similar motives but sources are different given the diversity of worldviews.

I guess the best way to see everyone having the same sourse is not to define another persons source. Then there are religions where there are multiple sources (like mine) so maybe the common source is only between certain religions perhaps?

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Thank you.

Brian
I can't say I am a big fan of such a syncretic approach. I don't even buy into the idea that we all that the same source, let alone that the variety of religions are all derived from the same source. That's a rather large leap. Do we include Scientology and Satanism in this too? Are atheists also included? Likewise, if the various religions are of distortions from the same source why would we take those distortions seriously? Would we not be better off just chucking the whole mess into the road and leaving it in the dust?

GoodbyeDave

I'm not sure why you've put this in the Seekers' DIR: it should be in Comparative religion.

But to return to the proposal, I can't accept that there was any "original message" or that earlier humans were in a "pure state". That is something that one just has to take on trust, for there is no evidence for it. I'd prefer to say that religious understanding evolves, like all knowledge.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I wouldn't say that "returning to the Source" is the basic message of Judaism. In fact, I've seen sources that indicate that a complete return to one's source is detrimental to a person's existence and by extension, contrary to G-d's plan. If I had to summarize the basic message of Judaism it would be revealing G-d's unity.

Timothy Bryce

I wouldn't be so quick to label the human experience as "mental garbage".

The "original pure state...one with each other and all things" is something I believe that we are already experiencing but somewhat removed from with our egos.

I would argue that a marriage between this "original pure state" and "the human experiential" (as you put it) to be what a person experiences before they are conceived and after the point of death or, alternatively, achieving a state of "ego-death" through whatever method you see fit.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Tumah, Thanks. OK. Unity. I can work with this. To become one again as we were in the beginning before we became a duality. The journey back/forward is how do we unite the two halves of our being to become one again? My piece speak of becoming one again.

Would you consider reading?

Thanks.

Brian
The unity that you are describing is exactly the type that I explained is described negatively in Jewish works. You are just renaming "returning to the source" as "unity". I said, "G-d's unity". Not "our unity with G-d". This is not the same thing. In Judaism, we do not unite with G-d to become one. No such notion of unification could exist in Judaism. It would mean that we would cease to exist and that is not a positive development.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The principle of the original argument/premise, does not need non-duality as an absolute, in order to be a cogent position.
The same argument could have been presented in a specifically Christian context, using verses from the Bible.
Which would be equally less than impressive.

Tabu

Thank you.

Brian
Very much similar to what the Brahmakumaris preach , except the timeframe is much shorter.
Below are the illustrative pictures depicting the world cycle , the downward stepping ladder ,and the Human world tree.
upload_2016-11-27_10-19-2.png
upload_2016-11-27_10-20-33.png
upload_2016-11-27_10-21-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-27_10-10-37.png
    upload_2016-11-27_10-10-37.png
    186.5 KB · Views: 76
  • upload_2016-11-27_10-12-9.png
    upload_2016-11-27_10-12-9.png
    143.6 KB · Views: 108
  • upload_2016-11-27_10-12-47.png
    upload_2016-11-27_10-12-47.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 92

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I can't say I am a big fan of such a syncretic approach. I don't even buy into the idea that we all that the same source, let alone that the variety of religions are all derived from the same source. That's a rather large leap. Do we include Scientology and Satanism in this too? Are atheists also included?

Most traditional syncreticism is actually 'dualistic', to varying degrees. This seems to be something that people get confused about, ie equating 'syncretic' to 'non-dualistic'; they're inherently different word meanings, and 'non-dualism' doesn't follow syncretism, any more than any other religious label.

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i
What all religions may have in common...

I think that there's a great deal religions have in common and I've noticed this at inter-faith gatherings in my community. We have a common interest that people will try to get along and work together for a peaceful more united community. One way we do this is by having a goal in our community...for instance where there is need we pool our resources and seek to address it in some way. Homelessness: We've participated in aiding the local Family Service Association in offering food housing and guidance for people. Some years ago our community pooled resources to aid Afgan women and help people who were struggling to deal with hurricane by providing some kind of relief. After the terrorist attack in a nerby community we encouraged people not to bash Muslims and offered educational approach to help people understand the plight of refugees.

Aiviu

They all use a language to create themself a higher instance which is to protect and hide the truth against slander and betrayal. A higher instance which was true before they had created words for it. If you, known or unknown, do not act against it you may see what they all have in common.