• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What about the male victims of sexual assault?

Shaul

Premium Member
“For some male victims of sexual assault and abuse, #MeToo can feel more like #WhatAboutMe?

They admire the women speaking out about traumatic experiences as assault and harassment victims, while wondering whether men with similar scars will ever receive a comparable level of public empathy and understanding.”

Some male sexual assault victims feel left behind by #MeToo

HonestJoe

I think men and women are always going to be viewed differently in these kind of contexts (to the presumed favour of either in different cases) but I think the division is being slightly exaggerated here. I don’t think there’s anything fundamental about “#MeToo” that excludes men, I’ve even seen examples of male victims using it. Without wanting to blame the victims, I think there is an element of what is described in the article where men particularly don’t want to open us about being victims and “#MeToo” is all about being proactive and speaking out. I think it’s good that these men are doing exactly that, but I don’t think there were actively prevented from doing so as part of “#MeToo” if they’d just gone for it.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
“For some male victims of sexual assault and abuse, #MeToo can feel more like #WhatAboutMe?

They admire the women speaking out about traumatic experiences as assault and harassment victims, while wondering whether men with similar scars will ever receive a comparable level of public empathy and understanding.”

no one survives this life. i didn't want just survival. i wanted life, love, and to rise above the sorrow and suffering. i found it as friends.

Main Page

“Son, Men Don’t Get Raped”

Male hazing most common type of sexual assault, expert reveals

Working with Male Sexual Assault Victims in the Military

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The evidence does seem to suggest that sexual abuse is much more prevalent for females, not that this therefore means us males are not just as affected. I perhaps should know since I believe what happened to me as a child did affect my life in many more ways than just it being a physical assault - and as a child one usually doesn't recognise the implications. In my case it was an older boy just considered a friend. The abuse, not that extensive, made me doubt my own sexual orientation for a number of years - never in doubt before this or later when I manage to get over it. And also it laid the groundwork for a lessening of trust in others and much less confidence in myself. It also helped to build a wall around my emotions so as to prevent others from hurting me similarly. Has taken a lifetime to get over - mainly because I just couldn't seek any help - and perhaps the lack of trust was one reason for this.

So I am sure it can be just as bad for many other males. Both males and females deserve the support necessary to overcome any problems.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I have great sympathy for male rape victims. I do not, however, harbor much sympathy for male rape victims who complain women get special treatment. If they want to he heard, they need to speak up for themselves -- not complain that others have it better than them. Complaining that others have it better will do nothing for them, but will only help to pull down others.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Too bad that it couldn't be about anyone of any
gender being abused in the workplace (or wherever).
Then it wouldn't be all about a Politically Correct protected person group.
What's the point if you're going to include straight white males?
Tom

bubbleguppy

Serial Forum Observer
I mean, from what I heard #MeToo was initially a hashtag meant only for women of color, so idk man why not let men use it now