• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What’s Makes A Good King

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Welcome aboard, and- my criteria for a good leader is that a person at least care about the people in his/her charge, and understand he/she has a moral responsibility to do good by them. I include non-citizens in this, because they are still within the borders of said leader, and in his/her charge. A good leader will be inclined to fairness and have a sense of justice. A good leader will be inclined to compassion and mercy- and disinclined to greed and anger.

Prometheus85

Welcome aboard, and- my criteria for a good leader is that a person at least care about the people in his/her charge, and understand he/she has a moral responsibility to do good by them. I include non-citizens in this, because they are still within the borders of said leader, and in his/her charge. A good leader will be inclined to fairness and have a sense of justice. A good leader will be inclined to compassion and mercy- and disinclined to greed and anger.

Justice? A good king must be just. julius Cesar was just, Everyone applauded his reforms, nobles and commoners alike. He was murdered By the Roman senators he pardon after they rebelled against him during the Roman civil war. Was that truly just of him, to abandon his subjects to an evil he was too gullible to recognize?

Curious George

Veteran Member
What is a good king's single most important quality?
This seems to have two subjective layers. First we are to subjectively decide what a is good, and then what is most important. Seems like a tricky question.

If you do not mind a tricky answer, I would say goodness.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!

We've a most appropriate free treat for you today....
photo-28.jpg

You guessed it...king crab!

Prometheus85

Abdication.

Britain's Edward VIII abdicated in 1936, less than a year into his reign. He was determined to marry American divorcée Wallis Simpson and keep the throne. Not only did divorce carry great stigma at the time, but the King was supposed to be the head of the Church of England, who taught that marrying after divorce was wrong if the divorced partner was still alive. He didn't really fancy being King anyway and neither did the British public (he was known to have Nazi sympathies). So that's OK.

Flame

Beware
A willingness to grow with the times backed by a strong backbone. The Bourbon Dynasty in France is a good example of this. If Louis XVI would of stopped flip flopping on his decisions, the monarchy might have survived the Revolution.

Curious George

Veteran Member
What is a good king's single most important quality?
I am still anticipating you might pursue a philosopher king route akin to the Republic, but your responses aren't very forthcoming.

Why is it important to pursue the line of questioning that tells us what is the most important quality of a good king?

Prometheus85

I am still anticipating you might pursue a philosopher king route akin to the Republic, but your responses aren't very forthcoming.

Why is it important to pursue the line of questioning that tells us what is the most important quality of a good king?

I’m trying to start an conversation between Me and others on this thread where i am employing the Socratic Method to see if anybody can come up the single most important quality that makes a good king.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I'm not certain we can in a materialist framework. We could start talking about non-material notions that people believe is a standard of good.
Is it ironic to imply that a materialist framework isn't a good framework to discuss goodness? Wouldn't this mean that from your perspective you have left the materialist framework already?

Let us see if we can agree on a goodness without discussing the framework. Surely if one framework is insufficient we will see that within the discussion.

So how can we determine goodness?

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Is it ironic to imply that a materialist framework isn't a good framework to discuss goodness?

What does irony have to do with it?

Wouldn't this mean that from your perspective you have left the materialist framework already?

It means one doesn't accept the materialist framework. Not that they left it. There are entire societies in history that never accepted a materialist framework.

Let us see if we can agree on a goodness without discussing the framework.

Why should we not discuss the framework? Do you think materialism has automatic merit?