• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weaponizing Religion or Beliefs

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
often the fundamentalists, the extremists want to weaponize their religion, why?

for someone who chose their belief system, why turn it into a theocracy when it was working all along and in conjunction with other forms? why have only one form? why have only one expression of the divine? the sacred? the holy?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Free will deniers.
Since they deny people have free will, they (most of the times unconsciously) tend to override others' will (which includes freedom of religion too).

Truth in love

There is an argument to be made for protecting people (e.g if you shoot all the drug dealers there is no one to sell to the kids).
However I would argue that most of the time that teaching is far better than forcing.

Pretty much everyone wants force and control in some things we just can’t agree on which.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
There is an argument to be made for protecting people (e.g if you shoot all the drug dealers there is no one to sell to the kids).
However I would argue that most of the time that teaching is far better than forcing.

Pretty much everyone wants force and control in some things we just can’t agree on which.

I think most people want control over themselves. I know I don't want responsibility over someone else. And if I were to be assigned someone's conscience , guardian I would definitely discuss all the options with them in making decisions about their welfare. If they consciously couldn't. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, trespassers.

Proverbs 20:10

Proverbs 22:28

Altfish

Veteran Member
often the fundamentalists, the extremists want to weaponize their religion, why?

for someone who chose their belief system, why turn it into a theocracy when it was working all along and in conjunction with other forms? why have only one form? why have only one expression of the divine? the sacred? the holy?
The majority of people do not "choose" their belief system, it is imposed on them by their parents

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The majority of people do not "choose" their belief system, it is imposed on them by their parents
Even though a guardian may choose to dress/makeup the appearance . They really don't have control of the mind, the spirit. It will be what it will be.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

So the appearance of a thing by a recognized observer, it's label, is not necessarily its action when not being observed and controlled.

Fear of reprisal, punishment doesn't equal absolute acceptance.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Even though a guardian may choose to dress/makeup the appearance . They really don't have control of the mind, the spirit. It will be what it will be.

So the appearance of a thing by a recognized observer, it's label, is not necessarily its action when not being observed and controlled.

Explain to me then why, if you are born in India you are most likely a Hindu; if Pakistan a Muslim and if from the USofA a Christian?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Explain to me then why, if you are born in India you are most likely a Hindu; if Pakistan a Muslim and if from the USofA a Christian?
Most likely is the answer because of culture. The culture arises from environmental experience. When the person begins experiencing other environments, they become experienced in other cultures. This is not an absolute black/white issue. People who live in small bubbles, small mindedness, live in insular environments. Either out of fear, or the lack of resources to travel and experience. Experience creates personality

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It's about control, I think. Not religion per se. Religion is just the ideology of choice to enforce that control in this instance.

Exactly what I was about to say, control.
People you can control you have less to fear from.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

That's really not quite accurate. Human children are very strongly programmed to listen to and believe their parents (or those they see as parents). As a species with an especially long maturation period, this is necessary for survival. You may find it difficult to indoctrinate an adult, but with children, it's very, very easy.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
That's really not quite accurate. Human children are very strongly programmed to listen to and believe their parents (or those they see as parents). As a species with an especially long maturation period, this is necessary for survival. You may find it difficult to indoctrinate an adult, but with children, it's very, very easy.
it is but you have to continuously reinforce that negative. that absolute black and white. at some point that helicopter parent has to build Rapunzel a tower and lock her in it and then the need to have self-expression overrides mommy and daddy's education. it's smothering

somehow the individual picks up on the discord; especially around puberty.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Most likely is the answer because of culture. The culture arises from environmental experience. When the person begins experiencing other environments, they become experienced in other cultures. This is not an absolute black/white issue. People who live in small bubbles, small mindedness, live in insular environments. Either out of fear, or the lack of resources to travel and experience. Experience creates personality
Therefore, as I originally said ... most people do NOT get to choose their religion.

Dao Hao Now

As @Altfish said:
It’s a form of indoctrination.
Parents instill their beliefs, which as illustrated with:
Wherein the parents themselves had been indoctrinated into the religion which is part and parcel of the culture which reinforces the beliefs within that culture.
The more homogenous and fundamentalist the social culture they’re brought up within; the more uncompromising they tend to be.

Or as Mark Twain put it:
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

And:
“It liberates the vandal to travel — you never saw a bigoted, opinionated, stubborn, narrow-minded, self-conceited, almighty mean man in your life but he had stuck in one place since he was born and thought God made the world and dyspepsia and bile for his especial comfort and satisfaction.”

You gotta admit….the man had a way with words!