• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Are All Born Muslim

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Islam existed as long as the earth. Almost 14 billion years ago.
That’s your belief and has nothing to do with the truth others espouse. It reeks of entitlement, because it seeks to equate ancient beliefs/practices with your much more modern and parochial religion by imposing upon ancient beliefs/practices a name that specifically refers to your more modern and parochial religion — a name whose universal overtones clash with the much more specific beliefs of your religion. This is your attempt to usurp the more ancient systems by claiming that they are one and the same as your system, just “less perfect.”

The deal-breaker here is that “Allah” is NOT the same deity as “God,” “Wiracocha,” “Enki,” “El,” “Kichigonai,” or “Brahma,” or any other deity. “Allah” is a very specific god-concept that cannot be imposed upon other such concepts. All of these are very specific representations of the deity who is nameless, but called by a thousand names. Your version is not THE version, never was THE version, and will never be “the Most Correct” version. Islam as it is known today began in the 600s C.E. That’s the religion you practice, and it cannot be conflated with other, more ancient and specific religions.

sojourner

I think that the medieval artists that depict God as an angry old man are violating the commandment to make no graven image
Except that’s not what the commandment actually means. The commandment deals with idol worship. In idol worship, the representation isn’t a representation, but the deity itself, imbued with deification power in and of itself. A statue, icon or picture has no power of itself.

sojourner

If, when you say "Allah" you literally mean "the ultimate force that gives us life", then your "everyone is born a Muslim" is nothing but semantics. It means the exact same thing as "everyone is born with life." My problem with your phrasing is that you have an agenda in using it. And I simply refuse to subscribe. I'll continue, and be completely fine, stating "everyone is born with life" as my fact-phrasing of choice in this matter. I don't need to call the force of life "Allah." And I would argue that no one does.
This right here. ^^^

David1967

Premium Member
Except that’s not what the commandment actually means. The commandment deals with idol worship. In idol worship, the representation isn’t a representation, but the deity itself, imbued with deification power in and of itself. A statue, icon or picture has no power of itself.

Granted that's what it meant being Idol worship was prevalent. I do however think that those paintings reducing God to a Zeus lookalike is kind of silly.

sojourner

Me stating my beliefs shouldn't be insulting to anyone. I'm sorry that you took it personal but I'm not sorry for what I believe. Don't click on the thread if you thought it'd bother you.
It is insulting when you make assumptions for other people. One’s religion is a highly emotional, subjective thing. Perhaps if we were to post some cartoons of Muhammad, you might feel differently, yes?

sojourner

Lord over. Haha. You're a hoot! Posting my opinion is forcing people against their will? Wow. I had no idea.
Islam is not synonymous with “the natural way of life.” No matter what your religion says. When you conflate your specific beliefs with “the natural state of humanity,” it’s entitlement, like saying “white skin is the natural state of humans,” or “heterosexuality is the normal state of humans.” Your opinion is your opinion. In this case, it’s a bigoted opinion, and, as such, should be kept to yourself.

sojourner

Granted that's what it meant being Idol worship was prevalent. I do however think that those paintings reducing God to a Zeus lookalike is kind of silly.
Well yes, but how else would God be portrayed in that culture?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Islam was around billions of years before Hinduism. IMO! So no.
Why are you inclined to promote ideas that are demonstrably false? There is literally no evidence, whatsoever, that all beings are born Muslim. It is a meaningless claim, at best, and agenda driven drivel at worst. As pointed out by @rosends the idea embarrassingly inculcates the feature of being something so natural and perfect that is strangely, at the same time, prone to erosion simply by living in the world created by said God. One would think that a being worthy of the name "god" would have developed a more resilient system.

sojourner

Haha I have no agenda. Just sharing my beliefs like anyone else on this site. Yet the one Muslim has to have an agenda?
Yes you do. It’s hidden in your entitlement that your religion is “naturally how people are born.” That’s an agenda, whether it’s “just how you believe,” or whether it’s a more intentional move on your part. Your agenda is that your religion is “the natural way of humans.” The poster to whom you responded is correct. You’re appropriating language in order to make all religions really YOUR religion.

David1967

Premium Member
Well yes, but how else would God be portrayed in that culture?

I think that the question (to me anyway) is, should God be portrayed at all in picture or statue. I'm referring specifically to the God of Abraham here only.

sojourner

If my beliefs bother someone else that bad its not really my issue

I neved said everyone is currently Muslim. I said we are born that way
Your second statement (your belief) do bother people because you are making claims for them. This is a form of violence — making public, bigoted claims about others. And when you engage in violence, you’re not engaging in peace (which is the meaning of Islam). So, perhaps, by publicizing these claims, you’re not as Muslim by your action as you’d like to think. I’d say that makes it “your issue.”

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Your second statement (your belief) do bother people because you are making claims for them. This is a form of violence — making public, bigoted claims about others. And when you engage in violence, you’re not engaging in peace (which is the meaning of Islam). So, perhaps, by publicizing these claims, you’re not as Muslim by your action as you’d like to think. I’d say that makes it “your issue.”
A small correction, @sojourner Islam means surrender/submit. It does NOT mean "peace". A small, but important, distinction.