• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was you baptised as a child?

PureX

Veteran Member
I was baptised as a child in a evangelical-lutheran church. I have left that church and christianity. Now i am a new ager

Did you left the church or are you still a member?
I was, and I did. Though I hold no exceptional animosity toward the religion I grew up with (Catholicism).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yeah. It's not exactly like a baby can say yes or no. I did not baptize my daughter. I don't really see the point in baptizing as a baby, but I don't think it causes any harm. Since the person can later decide for themselves whether to stay or leave.

During my first marriage while we were trying to have kids, I came to a realization: my conscience wouldn't allow me to attend the baptisms for any of my children.

I agree that the water sprinkling ritual is a bit silly, but as I got into the theology behind baptism (Catholic baptism, in this case), I realized that my presence as the parent of the child being baptized would mean tacitly agreeing to this idea that my newborn baby is such a little ball of evil that God could very well be justified in torturing them forever, hence the need for the ritual to change this situation.

I agree that the water itself wouldn't do any harm, but I'm not so sure that a parent standing there nodding along to the meaning behind it wouldn't be pretty toxic.

I think a lot of Catholic families get their kids baptized for other reasons (e.g. just to avoid grief from Nonna), so this thought process doesn't necessarily enter into it for everyone, but I couldn't see a way for me to avoid it except by just not being there.

☆Dreamwind☆

During my first marriage while we were trying to have kids, I came to a realization: my conscience wouldn't allow me to attend the baptisms for any of my children.

I agree that the water sprinkling ritual is a bit silly, but as I got into the theology behind baptism (Catholic baptism, in this case), I realized that my presence as the parent of the child being baptized would mean tacitly agreeing to this idea that my newborn baby is such a little ball of evil that God could very well be justified in torturing them forever, hence the need for the ritual to change this situation.

I agree that the water itself wouldn't do any harm, but I'm not so sure that a parent standing there nodding along to the meaning behind it wouldn't be pretty toxic.

I think a lot of Catholic families get their kids baptized for other reasons (e.g. just to avoid grief from Nonna), so this thought process doesn't necessarily enter into it for everyone, but I couldn't see a way for me to avoid it except by just not being there.
Point taken. It's also so deeply ingrained a tradition that parents just shrug and go along.

(Also, kids generally don't become little balls of evil till the terrible twos anyway. :p)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's also so deeply ingrained a tradition that parents just shrug and go along.

Basically, it's a means to an end, not an end in and of itself. Parental presence is important, not so much for the parent but for the child so as to teach differences between right and wrong.

☆Dreamwind☆

Basically, it's a means to an end, not an end in and of itself. Parental presence is important, not so much for the parent but for the child so as to teach differences between right and wrong.
I've only ever seen people baptized as babies or adults. Never seen an older kid get baptized. May I presume different countries have different ages? Either way, a baby or a child under a certain age can't consent to it. Teens might get pressured into it I suppose, but it would be difficult to drag and dunk them in without causing a scene.

It really seems strange to me to dedicate a baby or child to a deity when they themselves have no agency, which is why I did not allow family to pressure me into doing the same. And hence why I said it's so deeply ingrained.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Never seen an older kid get baptized. May I presume different countries have different ages?

Children can be baptized at any age.

BTW, I'm referring to Catholic baptisms.
Either way, a baby or a child under a certain age can't consent to it.

Doesn't make a difference as the Church split baptism into two parts around the 4th century: baptism and confirmation.
It really seems strange to me to dedicate a baby or child to a deity when they themselves have no agency, which is why I did not allow family to pressure me into doing the same.

That's understandable, which is why the Church teaches that baptism is not a magic show but should be reflecting the child's acceptance into Christianity with parental consent to try to encourage moral values. What that child does later will largely be up to him/her.

☆Dreamwind☆

Children can be baptized at any age.

BTW, I'm referring to Catholic baptisms.

Doesn't make a difference as the Church split baptism into two parts around the 4th century: baptism and confirmation.

That's understandable, which is why the Church teaches that baptism is not a magic show but should be reflecting the child's acceptance into Christianity with parental consent to try to encourage moral values. What that child does later will largely be up to him/her.
I know that, half of my family is catholic. Particularly my mother's side. All the family baptisms I've been invited to were when they were babies, except for a few adult baptisms at my step-dad's church, who was a regular run-of- the-mill Christian, and we just happened to be there that day anyway.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I was baptised as a child in a evangelical-lutheran church. I have left that church and christianity. Now i am a new ager

Did you left the church or are you still a member?
I was not baptized nor dedicated but attended Sunday School. At one point joined the devil's side, leaving the church and later repented and returned to church.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I were baptized as a baby. The way the good lord intended with just a sprinkle of water. Turns out that it did not take.
I believe I don't recall Him stating that intention. He just mentioned baptism as though everyone knew what that was and the only example we have in the Bible is adult immersion.

Muffled

Jesus in me
For the last year of my mother's life I became her 24 hour a day care taker. I have a housemate for my place and left it pretty much up to her to take care of that and I moved back to my mother's house. I used to take her to church on Sundays and they knew that I was not a member and was well received there. It was because I still respected their beliefs that I would not take communion with them. I seriously think that they would not have been offended, but to me it would have been hypocritical.
Well I believe Paul thought you would get sick or die if you didn't know what you were doing taking communion but I took communion before I was saved and I believe I got a pass because I took it in good conscience.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I believe I don't recall Him stating that intention. He just mentioned baptism as though everyone knew what that was and the only example we have in the Bible is adult immersion.

There are a few verses (in Acts and 1 Corinthians) that speak to baptism of whole families or households all at once. It would be unusual for none of these to have included children.