• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was you baptised as a child?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
I was baptised as a child in a evangelical-lutheran church. I have left that church and christianity. Now i am a new ager

Did you left the church or are you still a member?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I was baptized, received first communion, and was confirmed.

I am no longer a member.
For the last year of my mother's life I became her 24 hour a day care taker. I have a housemate for my place and left it pretty much up to her to take care of that and I moved back to my mother's house. I used to take her to church on Sundays and they knew that I was not a member and was well received there. It was because I still respected their beliefs that I would not take communion with them. I seriously think that they would not have been offended, but to me it would have been hypocritical.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
From your avatar it appears that you did so later. To be honest being baptized as a baby really does not make a lot of sense. It should be a conscious choice when one has the ability to make such a choice.
It’s done so if the child dies prior to that age of reason, the child goes to Heaven and not Hell or Purgatory…at least in Catholicism.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes, although I don't know when. At some time before I was ten, I think. Pretty certain it was in the Roman Catholic Church.

I also went through Eucharisty. But I was never a Catholic; people around me decided that I must say that I was without caring whether I had any thoughts on the matter.

I guess at the time I believed that to be the usual procedure.

Far as I know, it was and still is, despite obvious problems.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It’s done so if the child dies prior to that age of reason, the child goes to Heaven and not Hell or Purgatory…at least in Catholicism.
I think that is the same reason in the Lutheran Church that I grew up in. Does it make any sense? Not to me now. But that is just one of the many parts of the religion not making sense that caused me to leave. But I could see how that might be some small comfort to parents in the times of high child mortality rates.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I was baptised as a child in a evangelical-lutheran church. I have left that church and christianity. Now i am a new ager

Did you left the church or are you still a member?

Never been baptized.

It created some issues for getting married in a Catholic church. I had to get a special dispensation from the archbishop.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Truthfully, I have no idea at all. My mother was a troubled teen, and my father wasn't around from months before my birth, so I suspect (but don't know) that baptism may have been far from her mind. On the other hand, my grandmother (mother's mother) may have thought it important, but again, I don't know.