• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was the Bible accurately preserved?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Reading comprehension is obviously not your strong suit. I have never spoken against reading such material. I simply don't find your claims credible or, for that matter, relevant.

But I do love Toronto (although I tend to focus on Stratford and Niagara-on-the-Lake). :)
Sorry, but I find you quite rude. Ignore is the best place for such stuff. This thread is about the "accurate" preservation of the Bible -- which in itself is a bit odd, since what has been preserved and what has been discarded are the results of decisions long after the events described. Add to that the difficulties in translation, the cobbling together of multiple sources leading to some obvious errors in duplicated stories (I have Richard Elliot Friedman on my bookshelf to this day), and what not, and the result is exactly what I described: something that if taken as literal truth is riddled with contradiction, and if not taken as literal truth, must then be taken as something other -- the very equivalent of mythos.

And speaking of "reading comprehension," as you did, if you go back and read my posts carefully, you will see that is all I've said, and I've demonstrated that I've looked into the scholarship. That you don't find my claims "credible" or "relevant" is just your emotional reaction to not liking what I've said, but choose not to bother providing an actual rebuttal.

And with that, you're on ignore.

Neuropteron

" The canon he set forth was ratified some three centuries later.

If we go to the Old Testament, there are even more books that are missing. These were written by "Samuel the seer," "Nathan the prophet," "Shemaiah the prophet" and others. 2 Chronicles mentions many of these by name...
The Bible canon itself has been changed many, many times over the years. Surely books don't go from being "God breathed" to "not God breathed" and sometimes back again over the years.

The Catalog of the Hebrew scriptures list 39 books that was accepted as inspired Scripture by Christ and the early Christian congregation. It was only from these writings that the inpired writers of the Christian Greek scriptures quoted. That is the basis for the canonicity of the O.T. it has never been changed, although ennemies both overtly or subvertly have claimed the contrary.
As regards to the N.T. The Roman Catholic Church claims responsibility for the decision as to which books should be included in the canon(council of Cartage 397 C.E), where a catalog of books was formulated. The opposite is true, because the canon including the list of books was already settled by then, that is, not by the decree of any council.
The testimony of such later catalogers is valuable only as an acknowledgment of the Bible canon revolving around the support of the first century Apostles and disciples of Christ. Since neither Christ nor the Apostles, supported the their self proclaimed right to make any changes to the canon, their decision can easily be contested.

Neuropteron

Your question is quite valid thank you.
The title of this thread is perhaps misleading. I should have specified that I was referring to God word or message to us not to specific scrolls, copies, or translations.

I did clarify by saying the following:
"We should keep in mind that the prophecy states that the “word” would endure, not necessarily the medium those words were written on. Those words consist of revelations, laws, principles, doctrines etc...If we were to accept this premise, how can it be verified ? "

Cheers

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The Catalog of the Hebrew scriptures list 39 books that was accepted as inspired Scripture by Christ and the early Christian congregation. It was only from these writings that the inpired writers of the Christian Greek scriptures quoted. That is the basis for the canonicity of the O.T. it has never been changed, although ennemies both overtly or subvertly have claimed the contrary.
As regards to the N.T. The Roman Catholic Church claims responsibility for the decision as to which books should be included in the canon(council of Cartage 397 C.E), where a catalog of books was formulated. The opposite is true, because the canon including the list of books was already settled by then, that is, not by the decree of any council.
The testimony of such later catalogers is valuable only as an acknowledgment of the Bible canon revolving around the support of the first century Apostles and disciples of Christ. Since neither Christ nor the Apostles, supported the their self proclaimed right to make any changes to the canon, their decision can easily be contested.
I really don't know how to respond to a post such as yours. I already gave numerous examples of how both the Old and New Testaments have changed over the centuries. If you're just going to say I made it all up, there's really nothing more I can say. I'm not sure if you just skimmed over my post or what, but if you can tell me specifically which statements I made that you believe to be in error, perhaps we can talk further.

Neuropteron

I really don't know how to respond to a post such as yours. I already gave numerous examples of how both the Old and New Testaments have changed over the centuries. If you're just going to say I made it all up, there's really nothing more I can say. I'm not sure if you just skimmed over my post or what, but if you can tell me specifically which statements I made that you believe to be in error, perhaps we can talk further.

Hi,
I certainly did not mean to say that you made anything up, and no, I was not able to read your post relating to this subject, not because I'm not interested, but rather due to lack of time.

What I am saying is that the Bible has many enemies that are working hard at obfuscating simple truths.

We could explain the Canon in simplistic terms as follows:
If Christ, the Apostles and the first Century Christians did not endorse it, it's not canonical. Although there are some exceptions to this, the exceptions are clearly identified as canonic for other valid reasons.

Any changes made 300 year after the last book of the Bible was written, is clearly not canonical, especially not by a church who has historically demonstrated its animosity towards the truth and word of God.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hi,
I certainly did not mean to say that you made anything up, and no, I was not able to read your post relating to this subject, not because I'm not interested, but rather due to lack of time.
Understood. Thank you.

What I am saying is that the Bible has many enemies that are working hard at obfuscating simple truths.
Agreed.

We could explain the Canon in simplistic terms as follows:
If Christ, the Apostles and the first Century Christians did not endorse it, it's not canonical. Although there are some exceptions to this, the exceptions are clearly identified as canonic for other valid reasons.

Any changes made 300 year after the last book of the Bible was written, is clearly not canonical, especially not by a church who has historically demonstrated its animosity towards the truth and word of God.
Obviously, Christ couldn't have endorsed anything written after His death, so that throws quite a wrench into the works.

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Obviously, Christ couldn't have endorsed anything written after His death, so that throws quite a wrench into the works.

Just wanted to touch on this...
Remember, Jesus spoke with Saul (later to become the Apostle Paul) after His resurrection, so there is that.

And the Revelation, written by John, was given to John by Jesus, over 60 years later.

Jesus was active, still is, but I’m sure you knew that.

gnostic

The Lost One
Following claim was made in 1 Pet 1:23 and Isa 40:8
“The word of the Lord endureth forever”.

How can we believe this proclamation to be true when there is not a single original manuscript of the Hebrew scripture earlier than A.D 1008 (now preserved in Leningrad) and none of the complete (or nearly complete) Greek manuscripts earlier than the fourth century after Christ ?

We should keep in mind that the prophecy states that the “word” would endure, not necessarily the medium those words were written on. Those words consist of revelations, laws, principles, doctrines etc...If we were to accept this premise, how can it be verified ?

One way is to examine the history of how the scriptures were copied.

For those who are interested, here is a short synopsis of this process:

Until the destruction of the first temple by the Babylonians, the “book of the law”(Pentateuch)
was kept preserved by the side of the ark of the covenant. First by Joshua (Josh 24:26) then Samuel (1Sam 10:25).
For a time these copies were lost, until 641 B.C. when the “forgotten “book of the law” were discovered by Josiah, at which time the worship of Gods such a Marduk, various triads, Shamash, rulers of the Zodia etc... was eliminated and the worship of Jehovah was restored in Judah.
According to Daniel 9:2 the “word of the Lord” was available in Babylon.
After the return from the exile in Babylon, Ezra is found reading the law to the people.(Neh 8:1-18)

Since not all the Jewish exiles who in 537 B.C returned from captivity spoke or understood Hebrew but rather Aramaic or a related Semitic language, the Pentateuch had to be interpreted or paraphrased. This was done orally and is know as the Targum. There are various extant Targums versions today of all the Hebrew scriptures, except Daniel, Ezra and Nehemiah.

Subsequently various translation were made, the oldest is the Samaritan Pentateuch around 450 B.C. (However extant mss are of far later date).

About 280 B.C. The Hebrew Scriptures began to be translated in Greek and is called the Septuagint.
A great number of these were distributed throughout the ancient world and played a large part in the preservation of God's word and became the basis for translation into other languages.

As to the Greek Scriptures, genuine texts have been preserved not only in the Sinaitic and Vatican 1209 mss, but in about 4,000 more Greek mss, in addition to 9,000 other language mss. Interestingly, so many Bible text are quoted in the post-apostolic period in various literary work, that almost the entire Greek text could be compiled from these quotations.

No other book in the world has ever receive such a reverent, fastidiously careful treatment and careful copyist procedure throughout the centuries as has the Bible .

In order to make the Word of God known its copyists and translators often added to their painstaking labour the sacrifice of their lives.
Additionally no other book had to face such a powerful foe, that not only legislated the murder of translators and distributors of it, but burned countless thousands copies of the Holy Scriptures along with those that read it.

Do you find that history support the assertion that the Bible has been preserved ?

Some claim that it is only by Divine intervention that we are able to have a copy of the Bible today, what do you think ?

In the Middle East, during the 2nd millennium BCE (excluding Egypt, which Egyptians used papyri to write on), the most common materials used for writing were on clay tablets, from Elam and Babylonia in the east, to the Levant (eg Syria, Phoenicia, Canaan, etc) and the Hittite empire in the west.

Before the invention of the alphabets, cuneiforms were most popular writing systems in the Middle and Late Bronze Age.

There are no evidence of Hebrew being used or written during these periods (eg Middle and Late Bronze Age, thus the 2nd millennium BCE).

So there were no writings by Abraham, Jacob, Moses or Joshua, and it is highly likely that everyone one mentioned in these books were mythological and fictional figures.

You said that the Torah and other books were lost, and later found during King Josiah’s reign. And these were copied down by Josiah’s scribes, and later still during the Babylonian Exile and their return and the rebuilding of Jerusalem’s temple.

Yes, I heard of that story of the Josiah’s “forgotten books” before, except that itself is a myth, because it is based on “tradition”, not history.

Yes, during the Josiah’s reign, people began busily writing up the Torah and other books, but where are the “forgotten books” that they supposedly copy from?

If the Hebrew Scriptures were re-written from older sources, then where are the original “forgotten books”?

Did forgotten books get lost again?

That’s convenient, and it reminds me of the convenience of Joseph Smith translating from gold plates that were then taken back to heaven by angel.

Just as we cannot verify Joseph Smith’s gold plates existence, we cannot verify the existence of Josiah’s discovery of the forgotten books. Both have mysteriously and conveniently vanished.

History isn’t just about what were written in the past, but what can be verified, and we cannot verify what tradition say about forgotten books were discovered during Josiah’s reign.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Just wanted to touch on this...
Remember, Jesus spoke with Saul (later to become the Apostle Paul) after His resurrection, so there is that.

And the Revelation, written by John, was given to John by Jesus, over 60 years later.

Jesus was active, still is, but I’m sure you knew that.
Yes, I realize that. But the way the poster put it, it sounded like he was saying, "Well, Jesus approved such and such books (which are now part of the canon) and rejected others (which are not)." That was a pretty misleading statement, in my opinion. Actually, not even all of the apostles writings (not even all of Paul's letters) ended up being included in the Bible.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
In the Middle East, during the 2nd millennium BCE (excluding Egypt, which Egyptians used papyri to write on), the most common materials used for writing were on clay tablets, from Elam and Babylonia in the east, to the Levant (eg Syria, Phoenicia, Canaan, etc) and the Hittite empire in the west.

Before the invention of the alphabets, cuneiforms were most popular writing systems in the Middle and Late Bronze Age.

There are no evidence of Hebrew being used or written during these periods (eg Middle and Late Bronze Age, thus the 2nd millennium BCE).

So there were no writings by Abraham, Jacob, Moses or Joshua, and it is highly likely that everyone one mentioned in these books were mythological and fictional figures.

You said that the Torah and other books were lost, and later found during King Josiah’s reign. And these were copied down by Josiah’s scribes, and later still during the Babylonian Exile and their return and the rebuilding of Jerusalem’s temple.

Yes, I heard of that story of the Josiah’s “forgotten books” before, except that itself is a myth, because it is based on “tradition”, not history.

Yes, during the Josiah’s reign, people began busily writing up the Torah and other books, but where are the “forgotten books” that they supposedly copy from?

If the Hebrew Scriptures were re-written from older sources, then where are the original “forgotten books”?

Did forgotten books get lost again?

That’s convenient, and it reminds me of the convenience of Joseph Smith translating from gold plates that were then taken back to heaven by angel.

Just as we cannot verify Joseph Smith’s gold plates existence, we cannot verify the existence of Josiah’s discovery of the forgotten books. Both have mysteriously and conveniently vanished.

History isn’t just about what were written in the past, but what can be verified, and we cannot verify what tradition say about forgotten books were discovered during Josiah’s reign.
There was also vellum, which was arguably more in use than clay because it was easier to transport, vellum having the ability to be rolled up, like a scroll.

This would strengthen the genuineness of these writings.