• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was laban using magic even no God Hates magic?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I never understood why atheists claim to be abnormal

'Humans are born irrational, and that has made us better decision-makers. In the 1970s, two psychologists proved, once and for all, that humans are not rational creatures. Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky discovered “cognitive biases,” showing that that humans systematically make choices that defy clear logic.'
Okay then, you've justified why your own posts need no further consideration...

And I don't claim to be abnormal...never have.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
In Genesis 30:27 it looks like Laban is using divination.But why would Leban being doing this if he knows God hates it?Maybe he just didn't know it(that God hates magic)?:confused:
The Urim and Thummim were divination items that were worn by the High Priest (Aaron) in his breastplate as instructed by Moses.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Humans aren't rational it's a know fact
To know a "fact" such as that requires that you be rational, so either you are not human (in order to be rational enough to know that) or you are human (in which case you are too irrational to make such a claim).

LiveBetterLife

Humans aren't rational it's a know fact

Though systematically irrational by nature, humans still make use of their frontal lobes in order to make rational decisions and, through commitment to long term and consistent behavioral change, may become more rational creatures than they were before.

That being said, "rationality" as a concept can be considered something significantly more subjective than the quote you provided implies that it is.

PruePhillip

In Genesis 30:27 it looks like Laban is using divination.But why would Leban being doing this if he knows God hates it?Maybe he just didn't know it(that God hates magic)?:confused:

Who says that Laban was a Godly man? He comes across as a dishonest, cheating man
who would resort to violence.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The Urim and Thummim were divination items that were worn by the High Priest (Aaron) in his breastplate as instructed by Moses.
Interesting isn't it? I have heard people say that, but I don't know where the information comes. One verse in Proverbs possibly alludes to it 16:33. There is isn't a verse which describes the appearance of the urim and thummim by name, only that it is used for making decisions or inquiring of the LORD. I think there is a difference between divination and the urim and thumim, but I don't know what it is. Its probably how the information is used, but it could be that multiple people vote or something like that. I'd ask, but they don't seem to want to talk about it. I'd just let it go. It could be a big Sorry button or hoola with a bead in it. There are all sort of possibilities.

crossfire

Premium Member
Interesting isn't it? I have heard people say that, but I don't know where the information comes. One verse in Proverbs possibly alludes to it 16:33. There is isn't a verse which describes the appearance of the urim and thummim by name, only that it is used for making decisions or inquiring of the LORD. I think there is a difference between divination and the urim and thumim, but I don't know what it is. Its probably how the information is used, but it could be that multiple people vote or something like that. I'd ask, but they don't seem to want to talk about it. I'd just let it go. It could be a big Sorry button or hoola with a bead in it. There are all sort of possibilities.
It's there
BibleGateway - Keyword Search: urim

PruePhillip

So was OT God.

I am sure this is not your own point of view. It's fashionable to speak
of the Old Testament God, as if He is different to the New Testament
God.
The two are the same. God condemned the Jews for not knowing the
"time of their visitation." They would be scattered over the world and
Jerusalem "will be trampled under the feet of the Gentiles, until the
Gentile's time is fulfilled" said Jesus.
Two to three million Jews were killed and the rest exiled into slavery.
The Jews remained under the Gentiles for nearly two thousand years
and many millions more died.
This is the God of the NT.

crossfire

Premium Member
Yeah, but there's no description. It also doesn't describe how something can be put into a breastplate. Is there a pocket, setting, loop? It doesn't appear in depictions. Is it a pair of dice? Bag of rocks? Maybe the priest talks into something.
Exodus 28:

The Ephod
6 “They are to make the ephod of finely spun linen embroidered with gold, and with blue, purple, and scarlet yarn. 7 It must have two shoulder pieces attached to its two edges so that it can be joined together. 8 The artistically woven waistband that is on the ephod must be of one piece, according to the same workmanship of gold, of blue, purple, and scarlet yarn, and of finely spun linen.

9 “Take two onyx stones and engrave on them the names of Israel’s sons: 10 six of their names on the first stone and the remaining six names on the second stone, in the order of their birth. 11 Engrave the two stones with the names of Israel’s sons as a gem cutter engraves a seal. Mount them, surrounded with gold filigree settings. 12 Fasten both stones on the shoulder pieces of the ephod as memorial stones for the Israelites. Aaron will carry their names on his two shoulders before the Lord as a reminder. 13 Fashion gold filigree settings 14 and two chains of pure gold; you will make them of braided cord work, and attach the cord chains to the settings.

The Breastpiece
15 “You are to make an embroidered breastpiece for making decisions. Make it with the same workmanship as the ephod; make it of gold, of blue, purple, and scarlet yarn, and of finely spun linen. 16 It must be square and folded double, nine inches long and nine inches wide. 17 Place a setting of gemstones on it, four rows of stones:

The first row should be
a row of carnelian, topaz, and emerald;
18 the second row,
a turquoise, a sapphire, and a diamond;
19 the third row,
a jacinth, an agate, and an amethyst;
20 and the fourth row,
a beryl, an onyx, and a jasper.

They should be adorned with gold filigree in their settings. 21 The 12 stones are to correspond to the names of Israel’s sons. Each stone must be engraved like a seal, with one of the names of the 12 tribes.

22 “You are to make braided chains of pure gold cord work for the breastpiece. 23 Fashion two gold rings for the breastpiece and attach them to its two corners. 24 Then attach the two gold cords to the two gold rings at the corners of the breastpiece. 25 Attach the other ends of the two cords to the two filigree settings, and in this way attach them to the ephod’s shoulder pieces in the front. 26 Make two other gold rings and put them at the two other corners of the breastpiece on the edge that is next to the inner border of the ephod. 27 Make two more gold rings and attach them to the bottom of the ephod’s two shoulder pieces on its front, close to its seam, and above the ephod’s woven waistband. 28 The craftsmen are to tie the breastpiece from its rings to the rings of the ephod with a cord of blue yarn, so that the breastpiece is above the ephod’s waistband and does not come loose from the ephod.

29 “Whenever he enters the sanctuary, Aaron is to carry the names of Israel’s sons over his heart on the breastpiece for decisions, as a continual reminder before the Lord. 30 Place the Urim and Thummim in the breastpiece for decisions, so that they will also be over Aaron’s heart whenever he comes before the Lord. Aaron will continually carry the means of decisions for the Israelites over his heart before the Lord.

Well, it sounds to me like the breastplate is very much like a shaman medicine bag they wear around their necks close to their heart to carry their fetishes, which are often decorated on the outside with beads or stones. (But what do I know? For all I know the breastplate was like a "strike a light bag" and the umin and thummim were like the flint and steele plate carried inside. The usual means of divination would be to designate one as "yes" and one as "no" or one as "this group" and the other as "that group," and drawing one out of the bag. You can then half the chosen group and repeat until you get the one(s) remaining needed. See Cleromancy.)

A Vestigial Mote

You perfectly exemplify the colonized mind. Decolonize your mind.
I'm pretty sure that "decolonize your mind" literally translates to:

"start making stuff up and accepting other people's made-up stuff."

That's what I got from your video, and when you respond in opposition with "decolonize your mind" to statements of well-known, well-established facts of our shared reality, it's all I hear you saying.

The fact is, with as fundamentally real to us as something like "gravity" (and the equations that describe its effects - which, let's not forget, allow us to do real-world applicable things like put satellites into space in trustworthy orbits), "starting over" would only mean that we start from zero and eventually work out way back to THE SAME CONCLUSIONS. Which would be completely and totally dumb, wasteful and ignorant. Not to mention disrespectful to our ancestors who came to that knowledge, and were magnanimous enough to share it with everyone, in the first place.

Road Less Traveled

I don’t know, but if I knew that that god was a turd... I would be disobedient and do what it hated too.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You perfectly exemplify the colonized mind. Decolonize your mind.
I have asked before, you've not answered, so -- if you ever get around to explaining what that even means (to you) I may consider answering. Otherwise, I'm wasting my time while you seem to be accusing me of something you cannot possibly know. I object to such drive-by shootings of my psyche, and therefore have little interest in any discussion with you.

LiveBetterLife

I'm pretty sure that "decolonize your mind" literally translates to:

"start making stuff up and accepting other people's made-up stuff."

That's what I got from your video, and when you respond in opposition with "decolonize your mind" to statements of well-known, well-established facts of our shared reality, it's all I hear you saying.

The fact is, with as fundamentally real to us as something like "gravity" (and the equations that describe its effects - which, let's not forget, allow us to do real-world applicable things like put satellites into space in trustworthy orbits), "starting over" would only mean that we start from zero and eventually work out way back to THE SAME CONCLUSIONS. Which would be completely and totally dumb, wasteful and ignorant. Not to mention disrespectful to our ancestors who came to that knowledge, and were magnanimous enough to share it with everyone, in the first place.

How then, could tertiary educated students such as the participants in the debate in the video be so misled and passionate about disseminating information that is so contrary to the maintenance and progression of rational thought and advanced intellect?