• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was laban using magic even no God Hates magic?

Frank Goad

In Genesis 30:27 it looks like Laban is using divination.But why would Leban being doing this if he knows God hates it?Maybe he just didn't know it(that God hates magic)?:confused:

Darkforbid

'And Laban said unto him, I pray thee, if I have found favour in thine eyes, tarry: for I have learned by experience that the LORD hath blessed me for thy sake.'

How do get magic from that?

74x12

In Genesis 30:27 it looks like Laban is using divination.But why would Leban being doing this if he knows God hates it?Maybe he just didn't know it(that God hates magic)?:confused:
This was before the Law of Moses was given. Very few people would have been aware that God disliked divination. Furthermore to Laban, God was just one more among many deities. So he would probably have seen no reason to obey the rules of one God in particular that was not his "patron" deity of choice. He worshiped idols. His daughter even stole some of them when they left Syria. The fact is that Abraham and his descendants seem to have been some of the few people in those days worshiping God and making God Himself their "patron" deity of choice. Most other people were worshiping various idols. In fact there seems to have been many gods. Every household had their own idols.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
That the scientific method needs to be done away with in order to access a greater wealth of newer, more just and more culturally friendly information. Such as the fact that people can perform magic and control the weather with witchcraft.
Okay, so all you really need to do is demonstrate that a few times, and I can promise you that the entire scientific world will flock to your doorstep. Not only that, but you'll get incredibly rich into the bargain.

Look, the problem we all have to face is that facts, information and the like are not "culturally friendly." They are culturally neutral. Gravity doesn't work differently for whites in America than it does for blacks in Africa. The laws of electricity and electronics work the same everywhere, no matter whether the users are Buddhists or Rastafarians.

LiveBetterLife

Okay, so all you really need to do is demonstrate that a few times, and I can promise you that the entire scientific world will flock to your doorstep. Not only that, but you'll get incredibly rich into the bargain.

Look, the problem we all have to face is that facts, information and the like are not "culturally friendly." They are culturally neutral. Gravity doesn't work differently for whites in America than it does for blacks in Africa. The laws of electricity and electronics work the same everywhere, no matter whether the users are Buddhists or Rastafarians.

You perfectly exemplify the colonized mind. Decolonize your mind.

Darkforbid

Wrong!

Darkforbid

Sorry, I don't respond well to mystic-sounding meaninglessness.

My mind is not "colonized." It's rational.

I never understood why atheists claim to be abnormal

'Humans are born irrational, and that has made us better decision-makers. In the 1970s, two psychologists proved, once and for all, that humans are not rational creatures. Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky discovered “cognitive biases,” showing that that humans systematically make choices that defy clear logic.'