• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus Gay?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You blasphemer! Repent! He was married to Mary Magdalene!
Actually, even if true, that wouldn't be much of an argument. Back then, everybody got married -- it was absolutely expected and you couldn't fit in will in society if you didn't. There are no end of homosexuals in history who were married to women, and fathered children, too -- but who also enjoyed their sexual relations with other men.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
And yet God did, and still does.
No, the people who wrote the Bible did that. Muslims, likewise, contend that their book is "the word of God, spoken to Mohammed." The Bible doesn't actually make that claim, but so many Christians accept the idea. But in any case, in both books, the imperfections, errors and contradictions make it abundantly clear that these are the imperfect work of mortals like you and me.

No, the people who wrote the Bible did that. Muslims, likewise, contend that their book is "the word of God, spoken to Mohammed." The Bible doesn't actually make that claim, but so many Christians accept the idea. But in any case, in both books, the imperfections, errors and contradictions make it abundantly clear that these are the imperfect work of mortals like you and me.

Of course that's all you have. Unsupported, baseless claims of "imperfections, errors, and contradictions" - none of which are found in the Bible - when you know you don't have an argument or a leg to stand on.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
So the average Joe will better translate ancient Greek and Hebrew sources than the learned scholars and translators who toiled for years putting the bible together? Sorry. I think not.

Translators know the precise meaning of the original text, they should know what's been lost in translation from one language to the next. Unless we were to become proficient translators of the ancient languages the Bible had been written, then we ourselves can't possibly know the precise meaning of the Bible's original text.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Aren't all of those found only in John? Perhaps Jesus was not the gay one.
It would seem that Da Vinci may have agreed with you. He depicts (in the Last Supper painting) John as being unbearded and particularly effeminate. So maybe John, when he supposes himself to be "the disciple Jesus loved," is experiencing some wishful thinking?

Skwim

Veteran Member
You left out a rather mysterious passage from Mark, Chapter 14:51-52

14:51 And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:
14:52 And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.
And you're saying this was the disciple that Jesus loved so much?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
And you're saying this was the disciple that Jesus loved so much?

Oh, no. I just point it out as something that merits comparison with the other quotes you make from John, and wonder if it has any bearing. I don't claim to know the meaning of those two verses, but they are -- at minimum -- highly suggestive, and oddly placed.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The point being that the meaning of the original text can get lost in translation. May I please suggest a person learn ancient Greek and Hebrew before seriously studying the Bible.
That, in itself, makes the Bible a worthless tome for the very vast majority of Christians, wouldn't you say? If you can't understand the Bible without knowledge of ancient Hebrew and classical Greek, then almost nobody has any hope of understanding the Bible at all.

amorphous_constellation

That, in itself, makes the Bible a worthless tome for the very vast majority of Christians, wouldn't you say? If you can't understand the Bible without knowledge of ancient Hebrew and classical Greek, then almost nobody has any hope of understanding the Bible at all.

Well, in the past couple years have they had good free transliteration sites available on the internet. Before that, you had to try and study a bit to get somewhere, now you can pop in a verse and it will hook you up with all that right away. So that isn't really an argument you can make anymore I don't think

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Of course that's all you have. Unsupported, baseless claims of "imperfections, errors, and contradictions" - none of which are found in the Bible - when you know you don't have an argument or a leg to stand on.
There are hundreds -- I'll start with only one.

No person is without sin versus at least of couple of people were.

Eccl 7:20 "There is not a righteous man on earth" and Rom. 3:23 "All have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God."

and yet

"Job was blameless and righteous," which God Himself admits to Satan, and Noah was "blameless," (Gen. 6:9)

These are called contradictions.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Well, in the past couple years have they had good free transliteration sites available on the internet. Before that, you had to try and study a bit to get somewhere, now you can pop in a verse and it will hook you up with all that right away. So that isn't really an argument you can make anymore I don't think
And what did the many, many generations of Christians do before the internet, which got going really in the late 1990s, and wasn't really a worldwide resource until the 21st century?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Eccl 7:20 "There is not a righteous man on earth" and Rom. 3:23 "All have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God."
I'd like to add to your comment that this includes thought and doctrine. "All have sinned" isn't limited to actions. Its about what people believe, too. Confessing sin requires admitting this, and people who won't admit it haven't confessed that they are sinners. It goes hand in hand with humility and verses like "Let God be true and every man a liar."

There are hundreds -- I'll start with only one.

No person is without sin versus at least of couple of people were.

and yet

"Job was blameless and righteous," which God Himself admits to Satan, and Noah was "blameless," (Gen. 6:9)

These are called contradictions.

And yet you showed no contradictions. Massive fail for you, bud.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Your inability to read and conceive are not, I'm afraid, any failure of mine. And frankly, I find you too obnoxious to be bothered with -- or to be a follower of Christ, for that matter.
He may be another Christian of convenience. Believing the parts of the Bible that he wants to believe in and ignoring or not understanding the rest.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
So the average Joe will better translate ancient Greek and Hebrew sources than the learned scholars and translators who toiled for years putting the bible together? Sorry. I think not.

Perhaps we can agree that only those who understand ancient Greek and Hebrew are capable of understanding the precise meaning of the Bible's original text, the "average Joe" is too much of a simpleton and is simply too poorly educated to study the precise meaning of the Bible's original text.