• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was God once a Man?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You seem to have forgotten that that was your statement.

"it is impossible to contradict something that the Bible does not even mention. "
My point was that you admitted that the bible cannot contradict something it doesn't mention...my point is that it doesn't mention it....It's manmade, not from scripture.
Please re-read my post, Jay. I didn't say anything about the Bible not contradicting something it doesn't mention. I said that some LDS doctrines are not found in the Bible, but the fact that they aren't in the Bible does not mean that they are not true. If the Bible does not, for example, say that water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit, would it be accurate to say that scientists have contradicted the Bible by providing us with this statement of fact?

I dont know what verses you are speaking of....Can God makes us anything he wants us to be? Yes. BUt God can also make us Llamas id he wanted, or anything eles
Well, not to worry. We don't believe that God intends to make us llamas, so let's not digress too awfully far from what LDS doctrine actually does claim.

...but what will we be? Perfected beings.
Okay... So what is a perfected being? How perfect would a perfect being have to be in order for it to be called divine?

Not gods, not one Prophet or Apostle, not even Jesus mentions exaltation to god-hood. Scripture is void of that doctrine, any man could come and tell you something, and just becuase God is able doesn't mean he will. The doctrine was made up in the 19th Century, why should anyone consider it?
Not until the 19th century? I'm afraid you're wrong about that. You don't have to agree with the doctrine, Jay, but you really do need to check your facts before making statements than can be so easily disproved.

In the second century, Saint Irenaeus said, “If the Word became a man, it was so men may become gods.” He also posed this question: “Do we cast blame on Him (God) because we were not made gods from the beginning, but were at first created merely as men, and than later as gods?” At about the same period of time, Saint Clement made this statement: “The Word of God became a man so that you might learn from a man how to become a god.” And Saint Justin Martyr agreed, saying that men are “deemed worthy of becoming gods and of having power to become sons of the highest.” Some two centuries later, Athanasius explained that “the Word was made flesh in order that we might be enabled to be made gods. He became man that we might be made divine.” And, finally, Augustine, said, “But He that justifies also deifies, for by justifying he makes sons of God. For he has given them power to become the sons of God. If then we have been made sons of God, we have also been made gods.”

What I mean when I mention changed aspects of Jesus' birth is that the Book of Mormon says Jesus will be born in Jerusalem (Alma 7:10). The Bible cleary says Jesus was born in Bethlahem (Matthew 2:1, Luke 2: 4-6). This clear contradition is not good when you are saying the book of Mormon is a companion to the BIble. If it holds one lie, how many more lies does it hold?
Did I not warn you, Jay, that I have heard every last one of these anti-Mormon arguments before. This one is a classic. I'm actually kind of glad you brought it up (even though it doesn't appear to me to have anything at all to do with the topic of your OP).

Like Christians everywhere, we believe that Jesus Christ was born in the small middle-eastern village of Bethlehem. However, the Book of Mormon states:

"And behold, he shall be born of Mary, at Jerusalem which is the land of our forefathers, she being a virgin, a precious and chosen vessel, who shall be overshadowed and conceive by the power of the Holy Ghost, and bring forth a son, yea, even the Son of God." (Alma 7:10)

At first glance, it appears that we have a pretty significant contradiction on our hands. A closer look, however, reveals that this is not the case at all. In his prophecy concerning the coming of a Savior, the ancient American prophet Alma refers to Jerusalem as "the land of our forefathers," and said that Jesus Christ would be born in this land. Considering the fact that Bethlehem is, in fact, a suburb of the city of Jerusalem (roughly 5 miles away from the city itself), his choice of words makes perfect sense. If an individual today lived in a small suburb of Los Angeles, and were asked where he was from, he might very well answer, "I'm from L.A." No one would accuse him of lying or even of stretching the truth a bit.

In recent years, archeological findings have proven especially interesting as they relate to Joseph's translation of the plates. For instance, two non-LDS scholars (I point this out only because it seems this makes a great deal of difference to some people), Robert Eisenman and Michael Wise, discuss an example of the phrase "land of Jerusalem" in the Dead Sea Scrolls in their book, The Dead Sea Scrolls Uncovered. They write that the use of this phrase "greatly enhances the sense of historicity of the whole, since Judah or 'Yehud' (the name of the area on coins from the Persian period) by this time consisted of little more than Jerusalem and its immediate environs" In other words, not only was the city of Jerusalem referred to in this way, but the entire surrounding area. Thus, what was known as "the land of Judah" was also known as "the land of Jerusalem."

Use of that phrase was utterly illogical for Joseph Smith, who published the Book of Mormon over a century before the Dead Sea Scrolls were even discovered. As a matter of fact, I imagine that he might very well questioned the translation when it came to him. After all, even a school child in 1830 would have known better than to say that Jesus was born in Jerusalem. Obviously, Joseph would have been very much aware of the supposed "blunder" he was making in translating the text according to what he knew it actually said.

Once again, what for years was considered yet another "proof" that the Book of Mormon was a fraud now can be added to the ever-growing list of evidences that it is exactly what it purports to be.

No i dont beleive everything God had to say made it to scripture, but i also beleive that : "many false prophets will arise, and shall lead many astray" Matthew 24:11.
What about true prophets? Jesus Christ himself appointed prophets. Why do you think that was if He didn't intend to reveal anything more to them than He already had?

You say you believe those scriptures, yet Mormonism holds to the doctrine that The father is a God, that Jesus is a God, and that The Holy Ghost is a God
Did you even read what I posted from the Athanasian Creed? 1 billion Catholics believe that, too, Jay. Is there some reason why you are directing this accusation at the Latter-day Saints and not at the Roman Catholics.

...and that we may become a God, when the Bible says...

1ti 2:5 - For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Mr 12:32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he
2 Nephi 21:31 states, "And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end.

Mormon 7:7 states, "And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, which are one God, in a state of happiness which hath no end.

Do I really need to ask you again to stop telling me what Mormons believe?

I simply want to challenge you to actually look at scripture- not to say you accept it and then totally contradict it.
I'm not a liar, Jay. Don't make me out to be one. The fact that I interpret the scriptures differently than you do does not justify this accusation.

JayHawes

I realise that Discussing this will not make any difference therefore, i will end this thread. Many sects exist. Many Jehovah's witness will do the same as you, so do Moslems, so do BUddhist, and many other people. We all have something that convinces us of our faith. But i want to tell you that this came from a Mormon site:

The Godhead"Latter-day Saints believe in God the Father; his Son, Jesus Christ; and the Holy Ghost (A of F 1). These three Gods form the Godhead, which holds the keys of power over the universe. Each member of the Godhead is an independent personage, separate and distinct from the other two, the three being in perfect unity and harmony with each other (AF, chap. 2)." Encyclopedia of Mormonism

If there is one God, why do Mormons say they are three gods.....that was what i was meaning. Also the majority of mankind took on this beleif of man being god in the 19th Century with the rise of Mormonism, that is why i said it appeared in the 19th Century, it was much larger than anything that happened before.

Anybody can reconcile something to anything. If you feel comfortable i pray that God bless you. But i dont see any good coming out of this thread, so not that i am running from discussion, I am still willing to discuss, but not in this manner. No good will come out of this....there are always endless excuses to diffrent things.....everybody can't be right....somebody's lying.....(referring to the different sects in Christianity). I dont like the separation of the Christian Church that's why i began this thread to in hope bring atleast one of us back together....however i realise this chance is slim. My motive was pure, my words though may have offended you. May Jesus be the head in your life.

~God bless you and your family.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I realise that Discussing this will not make any difference therefore, i will end this thread.
That's fine, if that's what you want. You must realize, however, that there may be others who will want to continue the discussion.

Many sects exist. Many Jehovah's witness will do the same as you, so do Moslems, so do BUddhist, and many other people. We all have something that convinces us of our faith.
On this we agree. Furthermore, a testimony of the truth is something personal. None of us can truly understand the spiritual experiences of another human being. Sometimes it's best that we not even try.

But i want to tell you that this came from a Mormon site:

The Godhead"Latter-day Saints believe in God the Father; his Son, Jesus Christ; and the Holy Ghost (A of F 1). These three Gods form the Godhead, which holds the keys of power over the universe. Each member of the Godhead is an independent personage, separate and distinct from the other two, the three being in perfect unity and harmony with each other (AF, chap. 2)." Encyclopedia of Mormonism

If there is one God, why do Mormons say they are three gods.....that was what i was meaning.
You say you want to end this thread, and yet you ask me another question. What choice do you leave me but to answer it? ;) If you will read my opening post in the thread called "The Godhead" in the LDS subforum, I believe it explains our doctrine pretty well.

Also the majority of mankind took on this beleif of man being god in the 19th Century with the rise of Mormonism, that is why i said it appeared in the 19th Century, it was much larger than anything that happened before.
The doctrine was taught from the dawn of Christianity. Unfortunately, like a lot of other doctrines, this one was lost over a period of time, after the deaths of Christ's Apostles.

Anybody can reconcile something to anything.
Yes, I think you're right.

If you feel comfortable i pray that God bless you.
Likewise. I mean that sincerely.

But i dont see any good coming out of this thread, so not that i am running from discussion, I am still willing to discuss, but not in this manner. No good will come out of this....there are always endless excuses to diffrent things.....everybody can't be right....somebody's lying.....(referring to the different sects in Christianity).
I agree. I'm not going to accuse you of bailing out. I've done the same thing myself when I can see an argument going nowhere. It's been nice talking to you. I'm sure we'll find other areas of agreement over time.

jonny

I don't think that's the point at all. How many of our unique doctrines are rejected by the world? Dozens of them, and yet we don't deny that they are, in fact, doctrines -- that we believe them, that we teach them, that God has revealed them. The idea that God was once a man may very well be true. The fact that it has not been canonized in no way implies that it's not to be believed. There is a huge difference between saying that something is not doctrinally binding and saying that it's false.

Bushman, in the article I posted recently, had some interesting comments on what is doctrinally binding and what isn't.

BUSHMAN: Yeah, it's one of the mysteries of how it works in that Mormons, both individually and as an official church, have always rebuffed attempts to systematize ideas. There is no creed. If a book is published called Mormon Doctrine that tries to outline Mormon doctrine, it's repudiated by the president of the church. Over and over again, people go back and say, look, follow the Scriptures, read the Scriptures – which in a way begs the question of how you interpret the Scriptures. But every effort to do doctrine systematically is resisted. In that way, it's kind of an anti-intellectual thing against systematic theology.

WOODWARD: It seems you have a magisterium, but what you lack is that informal body of theologians or thinkers whose job is to reflect on the content of faith, and magisterial teachings. So there is no placenta like that – am I right – for these things to go through?

BUSHMAN: That is true. And you must add the fact that there is no professional clergy, which means no clergy trained theologically. No one seeks to situate every teaching of the church against a broader Christian tradition. The process has a kind of informality to it.

He explains this with the understanding that personal revelation and the scriptures, as opposed to creeds and theologs, guide the members of the church in their beliefs. I have never had a confirmation of the spirit that God was once a man, so I feel perfectly content in saying that I'll find out in the next life. It doesn't seem important to me right now.

jonny

Jay, what do you believe happens to us after we die? It would help me to understand the perspective that you come from. What is the purpose of heaven? What role do we play? Why does God even exist?

Thanks!

JayHawes

2co 5:8We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
When we die, depending on our acceptance of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, we may or may not enter into the presence of God.

Heaven is a perfected place, it is that New Jerusalem of Revelation. Heaven is what earth was made to be like, but was corrupted becuase of sin. The role we play will be decided by God. Our main purpose however is to priase God, the theme that is constantly repeated throughout scripture. God will make some to rulers...what eles he will do we dont know yet- unless we apply some extra-biblical source. Why does God Exist? God answers this himself when he tells Moses his name, I am. Who is God? He is I Am. He is whom he is, he just is. Why does he exist? He is the originator of our existance, he exists just becasue he is is....the question itself is not worthy of an answer....as though we can put meaning to God's existance....we as humans are still trying to put meaning to our own existance.

JayHawes

Mt 24:24For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Everyone must be careful of any message brought after the time of Jesus and the Apostles. Man is fallable and easily ignorant of certain facts.

jonny

2co 5:8We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

How do you interpret Jobs statement that he would see God in his "flesh" (Job 19:26)?

When we die, depending on our acceptance of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, we may or may not enter into the presence of God.

Heaven is a perfected place, it is that New Jerusalem of Revelation. Heaven is what earth was made to be like, but was corrupted becuase of sin. The role we play will be decided by God.

So far, so good. I agree with you to this point.

Our main purpose however is to priase God, the theme that is constantly repeated throughout scripture.

So, the God you believe in has a pretty big ego. His purpose for us wasn't to bring to pass our immortality and eternal life; rather, it was to create billions of souls to worship him eternally. Why?

God will make some to rulers...what eles he will do we dont know yet- unless we apply some extra-biblical source.

Rulers over what? Now you're starting to sound like a Mormon. :D

Why does God Exist? God answers this himself when he tells Moses his name, I am. Who is God? He is I Am. He is whom he is, he just is. Why does he exist? He is the originator of our existance, he exists just becasue he is is....the question itself is not worthy of an answer....as though we can put meaning to God's existance....we as humans are still trying to put meaning to our own existance.

LDS Scripture answers this question - "For behold, this is my work and my glory, to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."

The question is very worthy of an answer. If you don't know who God is, why you are here, or what God's role in your life should be, how on earth can you know what you are worshiping? This is what Joseph Smith was getting at in the King Follet discourse when he said, "If men do not comprehend the character of God, they do not comprehend themselves."

jonny

Mt 24:24For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Everyone must be careful of any message brought after the time of Jesus and the Apostles. Man is fallable and easily ignorant of certain facts.

Great point! So, do you also view the creeds written centuries after Christ and the Apostles with suspicion? How can you be certain that these were not composed by "false prophets?"

Rolling_Stone

Was God once a Man?
I understand what prompted the question, but with respect to my Mormon family I have to say the concept is absurd. A God worthy of worship is not contingent on anything outside himself, now or ever.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I understand what prompted the question, but with respect to my Mormon family I have to say the concept is absurd. A God worthy of worship is not contingent on anything outside himself, now or ever.
I'm afraid I don't understand your use of the phrase "contingent on anything outside himself." Regardless of what you may or may not believe about God, I'm afraid I just don't see what you could possibly be getting at.

I'm afraid I don't understand your use of the phrase "contingent on anything outside himself." Regardless of what you may or may not believe about God, I'm afraid I just don't see what you could possibly be getting at.

I'm not him, so I can't say this for sure, but I think he means a god who used to be a man shouldn't be worshiped. It makes sense though, that would mean God was no different than the president of the United States, just a common man who was granted power by a force greater than himself, if anything we should worship whatever made him a god.

Dream Angel

Don't all Christians believe in one way or another that God manifested himself as a man. I think his name was Jesus Christ or something.

Seriously though, it isn't LDS doctrine. It is a 'theory' at best that people have concluded from the doctrine of deification. It's fun to discuss, but one of those things that we'll have to wait until the next life to find out.

Yet another thread thats taken off quite quickly! Jonny has beat me to my answer! :D

Dream Angel

doppelgänger;844896 said:
I found at least four fascinating ideas in that sermon. I unpacked it a bit in the "Trinity-Fact or Fiction" thread and have been planning a longer post on it when I get the chance.

What other controversial sermons or writings of Joseph Smith are there?:D

Did you - that thread has become so long I must have missed them! :)

JayHawes

The doctrine differs. Was God once a Man?

1) Some say The Father was literally a man who lived in sin just as we did, and throughout his life was granted god-hood. He then became God over the Earth and begat spirit children.

2) Others say God became a man through the person of Jesus, hence his name Emmanuel, "God with us." Where Mormons and other Christians split on this is whether Mary physically (through the sperm from a physical man-God), or spiritually by the Holy Ghost, concieved Jesus making him the Son of God...

If any Mormon wants to elaborate on the doctrine futher dont mind, i want to read what you have to say.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
How do you interpret Jobs statement that he would see God in his "flesh" (Job 19:26)?
Far be it from me to butt in here but this is a clear reference to the ressurection of the body, Job is not saying he will see God in God's flesh but in His own flesh He will see God (In His ressurected body).

Job 19:25-27 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me

Have I misunderstood you Jonny? It doesn't seem like a controversial passage.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Did you - that thread has become so long I must have missed them! :)

I'll put together something later this week. I have the luxury of being in the catbird seat, here, as I don't acknowledge any scriptural authority. I understood Smith to be talking about something very different than what people imagine as "God." There are other hints in the sermon as to the meaning of this phrase about pulling back the curtain on "God" and finding a man.

BFD_Zayl

Apotheosis is an odd thing, an all powerful God with mortal failings might be dangerous, so personally, no, I don't think so.

joeboonda

The doctrine differs. Was God once a Man?

1) Some say The Father was literally a man who lived in sin just as we did, and throughout his life was granted god-hood. He then became God over the Earth and begat spirit children.

2) Others say God became a man through the person of Jesus, hence his name Emmanuel, "God with us." Where Mormons and other Christians split on this is whether Mary physically (through the sperm from a physical man-God), or spiritually by the Holy Ghost, concieved Jesus making him the Son of God...

If any Mormon wants to elaborate on the doctrine futher dont mind, i want to read what you have to say.

I would like to share my beliefs from the authority of God's Word, as simply and straightforward as I can, in truth and love, so here goes.

My beliefs: On point one, if we honor the dictionary, eternal is eternal and everlasting is everlasting. God has always been God and always means always:

Psalm 90:2
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.
Proverbs 8:23
I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
Psalm 93:2
Thy throne is established of old: thou art from everlasting.
Isaiah 9:6
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. (an extra: note Jesus' oneness with the Father)
Psalm 41:13
Blessed be the LORD God of Israel from everlasting, and to everlasting. Amen, and Amen.
Daniel 7:9
"As I watched, "thrones were set in place. The Eternal God took his seat...
Daniel 7:13
... He approached the Eternal God. He was led right up to him.
Daniel 7:22
But then the Eternal God came...
Deuteronomy 33:27
The eternal God is thy refuge...
Genesis 21:33
... and called there on the name of the LORD, the everlasting God.
Psalm 145:13
Thy kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and thy dominion endureth throughout all generations.
Isaiah 40:28
Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth...
Isaiah 63:16
... thou, O LORD, art our father, our redeemer; thy name is from everlasting.
Jeremiah 10:10
But the LORD is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting king...
Daniel 4:3
... his kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and his dominion is from generation to generation.
Daniel 4:34
..., and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion...Daniel 7:14
... his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away...
Daniel 7:27
...the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom...
Habakkuk 1:12
Art thou not from everlasting, O LORD my God, mine Holy One?...
Habakkuk 3:6
...the perpetual hills did bow: his ways are everlasting.

Also on point 1, I do not believe He was ever anything else but the one and only everlasting, eternal God, for if He was a man and became God, there must logically have been another god(s) that created Him as a human, but there are no other gods:

Isaiah 44:8
... Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.
1 Samuel 2:2
There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.
Isaiah 45:6
...that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.
Isaiah 45:21
...and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.

Nor does God make spirit babies, that is not biblical--He created Adam and Eve and THEY were fruitful and multiplied. Once God breathed His life into them, it passed to all through procreation. Satan is a CREATED angel, not a 'son of God', Jesus and Satan were not spirit babies, Jesus is the ONLY begotten son of God, therefore WE were not spirit babies of God either. WE were born children of wrath, children of disobedience, and children of darkness as the N.T. says many, many times:

Ephesians 2:3
Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
Ephesians 2:2
Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Ephesians 5:8
For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
Acts 26:18
To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

As far as point 2:

The Bible clearly teaches Jesus was NOT conceived of a physical father god's sperm, but of the HOLY SPIRIT and Mary:

Matthew 1:18
Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
Matthew 1:20
... fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
Luke 1:35
And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.