• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

War on Christmas - Actual bans in the United States

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Paul's own account is much older than that of Acts which is not authored by any of the Apostles. What is found in Acts is the theology of its author, thus the added details.
The inconsistent details. While Galatians is older than Acts, it is presented later in biblical narration. An odd decision by those who compiled the biblical canon, to be sure. Either way it is read, the story changes in ways that make it seem very much a fish-tale. Re-arranging it chronologically by writing makes it even more seeming "Ah, yes now I remember--this is how it was!"

Also, though the author of Acts is most commonly and strongly believed to be a companion of Paul named Luke, most of the accounts are offered in the first person, giving indication that this "Luke" acted as a scribe to Paul, who dictated the content to be written.

pearl

Actually Hanukkah isn't mentioned in the Hebrew bible.

As I understand it,the rededication of the Jerusalem Temple is the origin of the Jewish feast of Hanukkah.
As Catholics we accept the first and second Books of Maccabees, although they are not accepted by Jews and Protestants, who do not believe them to be inspired.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Yeah, so the heading is click-bait. Still, this is something I'd heard before but never bothered checking. Apparently the first war on Christmas was waged by...well...Christians.

The Surprising Truth: Christians Once Banned Christmas

It's not important, just interesting.
I think an important question to ask about this, is, "Why?"

Unfortunately the article doesn't really give any details, other than saying it has pagan ties. Like what?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
*** REMINDER ***

This thread is in Games/Pics/Jokes. It's a place for light-hearted discussion, not heated debate. We've cleaned up most of the debate posts, and would appreciate not having to do so again. Thanks, folks!

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It's swept up into xmas. But there's only one other Jew here, so not much demand.
Why not have a Faux Hanukah for the office and have everyone wear pajamas decorated with lamps? They don't need to know what its about to have a good time.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm in a hurry, so all I have time left for is to wish all Christians here a Very Merry Christmas!!!