• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want to make the world a better place? How?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Empathy was a key part of it, yes.
My point is that this idea of "don't worry about making the world better" is built on a foundation of "don't care about the well-being of others."
Anyone who has empathy will try to make things better for others in some way.
It is based on the fact that the world is too complex and works in its own unpredictable ways. It is good to have a desire to help but that does not change the world. Many of them who claim to be working for the betterment of people are really working for their own betterment. There are a whole lot of charlatans (in politics and religion) involved in this. For some, the idea that they will help to change the world to better brings much sorrow while working on this and even after having worked for this. I only wanted to save Amanaki from this sorrow (of not being successful in changing the world). :)
I think that throwing up one's hands and saying "welp... there's nothing I can do; it's all up to God" is an expression of indifference.
Even if there is a God or Allah, that does not help much (Coranovirus). Perhaps he created the world and then ran away somewhere. We don't find him helping people in need. The world is as God or Allah wanted it, otherwise it would have been different. :D
"lā ḥawla wa-lā quwwata ʾillā bi-llāhii"
(All power and change is to Allah)

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It is based on the fact that the world is too complex and works in its own unpredictable ways. It is good to have a desire to help but that does not change the world. Many of them who claim to be working for the betterment of people are really working for their own betterment. There are a whole lot of charlatans (in politics and religion) involved in this. For some, the idea that they will help to change the world to better brings much sorrow while working on this and even after having worked for this.
Well, I'm just glad that Jonas Salk and Frederick Banting didn't have your attitude.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I'm not sure a lot of people are in a position to make the world a better place. But empathy alone does make things better for everyone. So that small thing makes a big difference in summation.

At some point we all come across the unloveable. Where its hard to have empathy should we have empathy? I think so. Because that empathy might be someone's turning point in life. So it's quite possible to love the soul and despise the deeds.

How far gone is too far gone though? I don't know. There are degrees where my empathy runs out.

Where its easy to love people, then people love. Where its hard to is a different kind of love. I could wrestle all day with this but I'll spare you all.

taykair

To make others better you must start with your self.. Or?
Without our own effort the world will not become a better place. Or?

Often, those who say that they "must clean their own house" before attempting to do good in the world are only making an excuse for their own laziness or lack of empathy. Working in the world is part of our "cleaning house".

Besides, no matter how hard we may try, our "houses" will never be totally clean. If we -- either sincerely or insincerely -- wait on our own perfection before we act, then we will never act.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Often, those who say that they "must clean their own house" before attempting to do good in the world are only making an excuse for their own laziness or lack of empathy. Working in the world is part of our "cleaning house".

Besides, no matter how hard we may try, our "houses" will never be totally clean. If we -- either sincerely or insincerely -- wait on our own perfection before we act, then we will never act.
I do not say we should not help others :) of course we help others.
But we can not claim to know the truth for others, we can realize truth for our self, and only when we realized truth, we would be in a possision to guide others without harming their path.
So in a way the only person we should make crituque of, is our self

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, I'm just glad that Jonas Salk and Frederick Banting didn't have your attitude.
Their calling was science. If their research benefited people, well and good, and it certainly did.
Having known the world in my years here, I know 'making the world better' is ego or worse. ;)

taykair

I do not say we should not help others :) of course we help others.

I never doubted your empathy.

But we can not claim to know the truth for others, we can realize truth for our self, and only when we realized truth, we would be in a possision to guide others without harming their path.

Agreed.

So in a way the only person we should make crituque of, is our self.

I agree, but I'd leave out the words "in a way".

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
To make others better you must start with your self.. Or?
Without our own effort the world will not become a better place. Or?

I believe so too. However we are not alone. Individuals, the community and institutions affect each other so what I believe is needed is a spiritual and ethical direction for all three protagonists so that we can all progress and advance spiritually without each cancelling out the other.

A spiritual and ethical system will likewise effect the individual just as the individual affects society. Currently it is an uphill struggle for any individual to become spiritual and virtuous in a system which, by its very nature, promotes greed, selfishness and consumerism.

So a multi faceted solution is required that encourages all - the individual, the community and the institutions to all walk a spiritual path together.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
2 thing should be emphasized to be avoided.

1. Envy.
2. Apathy.

Greed is too hard to avoid, so, I'm going to give up on trying to change that in humans.

Apathy is with regards to oppression, stand with the oppressed and take stance against oppressors, lest you be seen as a partner in the oppression.

Envy in that, don't hate goodness. Those who excel and are holy, have reverence for them, honor them. This is especially regarding the exalted chosen ones, but believers require to be honored as well. But if you don't recognize who are believers, all I ask to be friendly and not hate them. To fight them out of envy and hate them because they believe, that's got to stop.

Ignorance, the light is too dim and darkness to spread, to fight it. Ignore it, forbear it, and don't hate it so much.

We got to pick our battles, we won't become Angels overnight.

I want those two vices gone. Sexually corruption, I give up on fighting that as well.

Let's pick our battles.