• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want a theocracy? Vote Santorum!

cablescavenger

Seriously, this guy makes decisions based on theology and says it would be perfectly fine if a state wanted to ban birth control or contraception. He's a serious contender for president...really?...REALLY?! Come on America, we can do better than this. If he wins, I'm done. I'm outta here. I'm renouncing my citizenship and moving to Canada or Australia or Sweden or something.

Santorum Spars With Obama On Faith, Romney On Olympics Resume | Fox News

It is well known that America prefers religious leaders.

Do you think if push came to shove they would choose him over Obama?

I was watching a political piece last week and they determined that it is almost a done deal that Obama will take the next election because of his political connections, funding and lack of a credible opposition leader.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
One of the problems that I see is that, somewhere down the line, someone convinced Christians in America that Republicanism=Christianity. So we have Republicans, who are only interested in filling their own bank accounts, and pandering to the rich and wealthy, and care nothing for the people, supported by people who have been deceived into supporting them, even though the party doesn't really support their needs. And they do this by pretending that certain issues are important for the good of the nation, such as not allowing homosexuals to marry, and spouting how America is a Christian nation and chosen by God to lead the world. It's all sad, really.

One of the reasons I stopped going to church years ago was that the pastor gave a sermon in which he recommended that the congregation vote for the Repbulican running for governor because he was supposedly the only candidate with Christian values. That same pastor once preached about the evils of evolution. I tried going to a different church, but that pastor gave a sermon about demon possession, plus most of my family goes to the first church. That church also has three separate services and three separate pastors. One "traditional" one "hispanic" and one "african" (we have a lot of Ethiopian and Somalian immigrants in my home city) The three congregations rarely interact. So yeah, that probably gives you some background for my opinions of Christianity in America.

During my time that I considered myself a conservative, I guess I was never this kind of conservative! What is with the Catholic fanatics like Santorum, who are so afraid that some women might be enjoying too much sex if they are freed from the fear of unwanted pregnancy? A feminist blogger I look in on every so often - Amanda Marcotte, seems to have figured out this mania better than anyone else: Why is women’s sexuality so scary?

Yeah Santorum is pretty far out there. :) Interesting blog link.

It is well known that America prefers religious leaders.

Do you think if push came to shove they would choose him over Obama?

I was watching a political piece last week and they determined that it is almost a done deal that Obama will take the next election because of his political connections, funding and lack of a credible opposition leader.

I think the only way Santorum would win would be because of voter apathy. If only Santorum supporters show up to vote, then the rest of us will be stuck with him.

I think thats what bugs me most. Either I'm a conspiracy nut, or President Obama has basically been chosen for the American people by corporations and rich people and they're intentionally giving us a pool of aweful candidates to give us a false sense of choice.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Folks said Bush couldn't win. Then when it looked like he had a chance, folks said it didn't make much difference because he was only one guy. But look what a difference it did make!

work in progress

One of the reasons I stopped going to church years ago was that the pastor gave a sermon in which he recommended that the congregation vote for the Repbulican running for governor because he was supposedly the only candidate with Christian values.
I'm curious if anyone is doing any serious investigation of the big time pastors who have been inserting themselves into the political process. This was something totally unknown before Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell started hobnobbing and endorsing Republican politicians in the 70's (even running for president in Robertson's case). Prior to that, the only thing political from the big time evangelists was Billy Graham inserting himself in as some sort of high priest to the presidents. But Billy Graham did not endorse candidates for office, and served as "high priest", leading the prayer breakfast's for Democratic and Republican presidents....a far cry from the modern religious right.

During the 2004 Election, there were several big time mega-church leaders who declared that they would violate the law that provides their tax-exempt status by becoming involved in the Election....were any of them investigated? If any had their tax-exempt status removed, I never heard of it. There were a number of analysts who concluded that church malfeasance was behind the surprisingly large Republican turnout in Ohio in 2004, which hadn't shown up in any of the polls....including Rasmussen...the Repubs favourite pollster. The church leaders were telling their faithful that it was their Christian duty to support Bush instead of that godless, shape-shifting Democrat - John Kerry, and doing constituency work for the Republicans right from their churches and church-owned properties. All I seen from Obama in 2008 was an effort to get in on the fun, and try to pander to the same evangelical leaders himself. So, I suspect that the line between church and state is irreparably damaged.

For what it's worth, the contacts I have maintained after dropping my membership in the Progressive Conservative Party up here, told me that church backroom dealing was behind the surprise selection of the present Ontario Party leader a few years ago. The only difference here, is that Ontario is closer to New England in attitudes about religion and church affiliation....so playing the god card has to be done with discretion....at least for the time being!

tytlyf

Not Religious
Fox news and the corporations behind it are pushing propaganda hard to demonize the president.

Fox doesn't like Santorum and wants Romney to win. Fox will determine who the nominee will be. Sad world.

Either way, when debate time comes with the President and the GOP nominee, all the lies and fear that Fox has pushed over the years will be exposed as just that, lies.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Reptillian said:
One of the reasons I stopped going to church years ago was that the pastor gave a sermon in which he recommended that the congregation vote for the Repbulican running for governor because he was supposedly the only candidate with Christian values. That same pastor once preached about the evils of evolution. I tried going to a different church, but that pastor gave a sermon about demon possession, plus most of my family goes to the first church. That church also has three separate services and three separate pastors. One "traditional" one "hispanic" and one "african" (we have a lot of Ethiopian and Somalian immigrants in my home city) The three congregations rarely interact. So yeah, that probably gives you some background for my opinions of Christianity in America.

They're good with emotional blackmail. I've been there.

Father Heathen said:
If Santorum managed to be elected president, I would mourn a fallen America slew by her own citizens

I'll leave. I started looking at what it takes to live in Canada back when Dubya was president. If Santorum is elected, that's it, I'm out.

Flankerl

Santorum is cool. He believes the dutch genocide their old people.

Vote Ron Paul! You can change the future!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Today's Drudge news item.....
DRUDGE: SANTORUM'S SATAN WARNING

""Satan has his sights on the United States of America!" Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum has declared.
"Satan is attacking the great institutions of America, using those great vices of pride, vanity, and sensuality as the root to attack all of the strong plants that has so deeply rooted in the American tradition."
:
:
"This is a spiritual war. And the Father of Lies has his sights on what you would think the Father of Lies would have his sights on: a good, decent, powerful, influential country - the United States of America. If you were Satan, who would you attack in this day and age?"
"He attacks all of us and he attacks all of our institutions."
Santorum made the provocative comments to students at Ave Maria University in Florida.
:
:
The White House contender described how Satan is even taking hold of some religions.
"We look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it."
:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala

""Satan has his sights on the United States of America!" Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum has declared.
"Satan is attacking the great institutions of America, using those great vices of pride, vanity, and sensuality as the root to attack all of the strong plants that has so deeply rooted in the American tradition."
:
:
"This is a spiritual war. And the Father of Lies has his sights on what you would think the Father of Lies would have his sights on: a good, decent, powerful, influential country - the United States of America. If you were Satan, who would you attack in this day and age?"
Santorum made the provocative comments to students at Ave Maria University in Florida.
:
:
The White House contender described how Satan is even taking hold of some religions.
"We look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it."
:

That's both hilarious, and scary.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
So three of our GOP candidates are a Protestant, a Catholic, and a Mormon. This is turning into a really bad joke.

Edit: Wait, Santorum is Catholic. That's an even worse joke. :p

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So three of our GOP candidates are a Protestant, a Catholic, and a Mormon. This is turning into a really bad joke.
Edit: Wait, Santorum is Catholic.
Meh.....both parties offer only Xians to vote for.
I'm not even sure if we Libs have ever run a heathen.
It never mattered to me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agree. We see where all this conservative Christian nonsense has got us. We're getting ever more closer back to the dark ages, and it's not a fun ride.
The non-conservatives have caused their share of trouble too.
They love spending money & regulating things....everything.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
The non-conservatives have caused their share of trouble too.
They love spending money & regulating things....everything.

True, but that's small beans compared to conservatives. And I don't have too big a problem with the government spending money, my concern is what they're spending money on, and so far, the liberals have really thrown alot of money away.

DandyAndy

:
:
:
:
:

The funny thing is that I believe he is totally correct. But he mixes spiritual warfare and politics - which is a TERRIBLE idea. This kind of stuff should come from a pulpit, I think it would be a fascinating study and series, but it should NEVER come from a politician's mouth or from the campaign trail.

I'm afraid we are going to have a "Christian" political party (VERY heavy quotations) and I'll probably have to refrain from joining.

Government was never meant to be religious because it was never meant to be as big as it has become - we've screwed the pooch and Ron Paul is the only hope (a slim hope) we have of going back to before candidates talked about controlling peoples lives based upon their religious beliefs.

DandyAndy

True, but that's small beans compared to conservatives. And I don't have too big a problem with the government spending money, my concern is what they're spending money on, and so far, the liberals have really thrown alot of money away.

There's plenty of blame to go around - the problem is we see liars and thieves differently because of the suit they wear and the letter next to their name - it doesn't matter whether it's conservatives or liberals that lie, cheat and steal because they BOTH do it.

Don't be fooled by the political theatre of left vs right. Right now they are fighting over who gets control of the country, its assets and its people - ideological beliefs are just something to hide behind.