• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vindictive Vitriolic Apologists

danieldemol

Premium Member
Vindictive Vitriolic Apologists.

Is there any point to the faith of such people who so evidently have lost the battle with their egos?

What about people who suspect you of being hate filled because you dare to express comments indicative that you haven't bowed down in submission to their particular understanding of a particular topic/religion?

/End rant

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Is there any point to the faith of such people who so evidently have lost the battle with their egos?

What about people who suspect you of being hate filled because you dare to express comments indicative that you haven't bowed down in submission to their particular understanding of a particular topic/religion?

/End rant

Well, /Start rand.

Some people in a limited sense however they phrase in effect believe in some version of "truth" for us all. In practice it is not there, if I and other humans can make sense of the everyday world differently even if only in a limited sense. That is what they fight against, i.e. the diversity in what matters. And it has nothing to religion in particular, because there is another overall version: I can with reason, logic and evidence do it in effect as the correct version for us all.
As a skeptic I just answer that I can do it differently and the answer is that there are humans which are unreasonable, irrational and/or not sane. That joke is that it is true, that there are cognitive and emotional diversity, but that doesn't matter, because those people, who are not like the rational, reasonable and/or sane ones, live in there own special individual reality.
So here is the absurd part. I have been told that for over 20 years now as a skeptic by people in the true reality, but how can I know that, if I am not in contact with them? How is it, that they keep telling me that I am not in contact with reality, if it requires that I am in contact with reality, because otherwise I couldn't be told that by them and thus know that they are telling me that.
It is absurd that they keep telling me, that I am not in connect with reality, because then they can't tell me that and thus I can't know that they are in the true reality and I am not. :D

/End rant.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

/End rant

Oh i have been there, been the brunt of accusations of hatred simply because i don't bow down to a god or a religion. There is quite a lot of it about.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

/End rant

I believe the true purpose of any religion is love, unity and brotherhood and that is the most important thing we need in our world today. If religionists focused on how to create harmony and brotherhood instead of trying to win arguments, I believe we would have world peace by now.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've also been accused of hate, for merely expressing a POV. It's becoming less puzzling as I go along though. The step before hate is wishing to argue. I express a POV, it's mine, I've thought about it, reflected on it, I'm 67 years old, and that's the conclusion I've made, and held for 40 years, no doubts. And then you still think you can change my mind about it? Really? You're goingtot tell me that I haven't studied it hard enough?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

/End rant
That's a question for the ages. I suspect that these folks are actually a little less confident about their own beliefs than they might lead you to think. If they can convince you that they're right and you're wrong, well, that's just one more indicator (in their minds) that they were right all along. It's not really about you at all. It's all about them -- their need to substantiate their own conclusions because, although they'll never admit it, they're still confused themselves.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's a question for the ages. I suspect that these folks are actually a little less confident about their own beliefs than they might lead you to think. If they can convince you that they're right and you're wrong, well, that's just one more indicator (in their minds) that they were right all along. It's not really about you at all. It's all about them -- their need to substantiate their own conclusions because, although they'll never admit it, they're still confused themselves.

And that understanding is why I get less upset than in previous periods of my life. It's becoming easier and easier to walk away, although I do wish some days that somebody else will take them on, only for their own benefit, as it's not beneficial to themselves, or to humanity to be that way. Tact makes friends, not enemies.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

/End rant
Aside from debate, its petty behavior.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've also been accused of hate, for merely expressing a POV. It's becoming less puzzling as I go along though. The step before hate is wishing to argue. I express a POV, it's mine, I've thought about it, reflected on it, I'm 67 years old, and that's the conclusion I've made, and held for 40 years, no doubts. And then you still think you can change my mind about it? Really? You're goingtot tell me that I haven't studied it hard enough?
The other thing that's cropped up in the last decade
is the belief that expressing different perspectives &
opinions is to attack others, ie, a deliberate attempt
to corrupt their grip on reality...to drive them insane.
Gaslight (1944) - IMDb

I was accused of this just a few days ago here.
Why?
My perspective differed from theirs. And I had the
temerity to proffer that mine has merit. Heaven
forbid that we live in a world where some have
The Truth, & to disagree is an attack upon them.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The other thing that's cropped up in the last decade
is the belief that expressing different perspectives &
opinions is to attack others, ie, a deliberate attempt
to corrupt their grip on reality...to drive them insane.
Gaslight (1944) - IMDb

I was accused of this just a few days ago here.
Why?
My perspective differed from theirs. And I had the
temerity to proffer that mine has merit. Heaven
forbid that we live in a world where some have
The Truth, & to disagree is an attack upon them.

Indeed it's scary when you can't say anything for fear of insulting somebody. It's so one-sided. "I respect your right to a POV, but you can't do the same for me?"

(God I hate old machinery. Its ... so .... old. People who muck about, and yammer away about it ... well?)
In my youth, Dad's neighbour got out an old rope maker from pioneer days, and they decided to make some from the new-fangled plastic binder twine. The did it twice, so the new rope had 9 strings (3 times 3) but the stuff was stretchy, so Dad, in his infinite wisdom, figured it needed some stretching, and strung it across a normally unused gate, and along a fenceline. You know who didn't notice and drove the half ton through that gate. It felt like some unknown force was slowing the truck down. I got out and discovered the new rope was strong enough to yank out the fencepost.

(Tossing a story to lighten the mood._ As far as I'm concerned anybody can like or dislike anything, as long as there are no guns and killing coming out of it.)

Last edited:

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)

/End rant

Such people need to be challenged. This seems like a good place to do it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
And that understanding is why I get less upset than in previous periods of my life. It's becoming easier and easier to walk away, although I do wish some days that somebody else will take them on, only for their own benefit, as it's not beneficial to themselves, or to humanity to be that way. Tact makes friends, not enemies.
I'm not sure what you mean by "taking them on." I think you have to pick your battles. At least that's what I've found in my experience. Most people who are truly "vindictive and vitriolic" will only be further provoked by anyone who has the audacity to suggest that there might be another perspective worth considering. I tend to "take them on" (if I'm understanding you correctly) only until it becomes clear to me that we're going around in circles and it's never going to stop. If a dispute or difference of opinion seems to have some possible resolution, then I'll continue trying to reason with the person.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Such people need to be challenged. This seems like a good place to do it.
Meerkat from the "City-Data" forum?

Challenging them works up to a point, but honestly, some people aren't worth the time, and ignoring their stupid comments almost seems to be more effective.

Martin

Meerkat from the "City-Data" forum?

Challenging them works up to a point, but honestly, some people aren't worth the time, and ignoring their stupid comments almost seems to be more effective.

I have no idea what "City Data" forum is.

But sure, there's always the option to walk away.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I have no idea what "City Data" forum is.
There's another online forum, quite similar to this. One of the regular posters calls herself "Meerkat." I just thought you might be her.

But sure, there's always the option to walk away.
So would you continue to challenge the person indefinitely? Because you spend the rest of your life doing so.

Martin

There's another online forum, quite similar to this. One of the regular posters calls herself "Meerkat." I just thought you might be her.

So would you continue to challenge the person indefinitely? Because you spend the rest of your life doing so.

I'm a male meerkat.
And no, I'd walk away. Walking away isn't always easy, but I've found it's usually the right decision.