• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Views of witchcraft

Villager

St Paul. That's who your quoted biblical text is about.
It's about King Saul, Israel's first king- who was rejected by God, as the text indicates. Paul, by contrast, wrote that the church was founded upon this sort of statement:

'"So I will come near to you for judgment. I will be quick to testify against sorcerers, adulterers and perjurers, against those who defraud labourers of their wages, who oppress the widows and the fatherless, and deprive aliens of justice, but do not fear me," says the Lord Almighty.' Mal 3:5 (NIV)

There is the culture of Shakespeare, Chaucer, Marvell, Milton, Dunne, Blake, Wordsworth, Hardy, Dickens and many more whose heritage has helped to define Western culture- and its definitions.

Of course, now that all and sundry have broadband, all of that heap of stuff can be wiped off the cultural HD.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
It's about King Saul, Israel's first king- who was rejected by God, as the text indicates. Paul, by contrast, wrote that the church was founded upon this sort of statement:

'"So I will come near to you for judgment. I will be quick to testify against sorcerers, adulterers and perjurers, against those who defraud labourers of their wages, who oppress the widows and the fatherless, and deprive aliens of justice, but do not fear me," says the Lord Almighty.' Mal 3:5 (NIV)

There is the culture of Shakespeare, Chaucer, Marvell, Milton, Dunne, Blake, Wordsworth, Hardy, Dickens and many more whose heritage has helped to define Western culture- and its definitions.

Of course, now that all and sundry have broadband, all of that heap of stuff can be wiped off the cultural HD.
I already apologized (twice) for my mistake.
While I respect the poetry of the texts you have quoted, they are all open to many interpretation and since I am not a Christian or a Jew I do not accept their authority.
Witchcraft and folk magic existed before, during and after the times of the famous authors you mention.
I am not sure what you mean about wiping those things off our cultural HD?

Rakhel

While I respect the poetry of the texts you have quoted, they are all open to many interpretation and since I am not a Christian or a Jew I do not accept their authority.
Witchcraft and folk magic existed before, during and after the times of the famous authors you mention.
I am not sure what you mean about wiping those things off our cultural HD?
I an not trying to jump your **** about the mistake, and I don't think Villager is either. When we both posted, we, at least I was, typing my response. So we both missed where you had corrected.

Villager

Nobody's blaming you. There's no need to apologise.

While I respect the poetry of the texts you have quoted, they are all open to many interpretation
That's a matter of opinion, but the biblical basis of their values is not.

since I am not a Christian or a Jew I do not accept their authority.
But your opinion is just your own. It is unacceptable to foist it on everyone else, particularly after you have, rather tendentiously, solicited Christian views. Deal with them, if you wish to continue as you began.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
But your opinion is just your own. It is unacceptable to foist it on everyone else, particularly after you have, rather tendentiously, solicited Christian views. Deal with them, if you wish to continue as you began.
Of course my opinion is just my own. I am not trying to foist it on anybody. I am a bit confused how you expect me or anyone else to express views and opinions on a multi-faith religious forum? In what way am I foisting an opinion? I originally asked for a diverse range of views which of course includes Christian ones. I do truly appreciate the views of everybody who has taken the time to reply, but I am under no obligation to agree with everybody or to allow statements to go unchallenged if I think they are worthy of further discussion. That's what these type of forums are for.
Also I don't have to take Judao-Christian texts as authoritative proof of anything any more than you are obliged to take any Pagan text as proof of anything.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I don't think if it was even possible to prove anything to anyone it would change much. Many times we talk at folks rather than talk to them.

Much can be learned when we approach each other with an open mind. Respect for others who think differently than ourselves is the key to the solution.

Only an arrogant person would believe they have everything right.

Only a respectful person would agree to disagree and make an attempt to find common ground with another person. That after all is what fellowship is all about and should be the goal of every member here.

InChrist

Free4ever
[FONT=&quot]For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft… 1 Samuel 15;23
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I believe in a Creator who made heaven and earth who has authority over all. When humans take God’s place of authority or go against His authority and attempt to manipulate their lives or the lives of others rather than seeking wisdom, understanding, and direction from their Creator and submitting to His will, then I believe they are in rebellion. I think this rebellion can take place in the form of witchcraft, religious rituals, or anything else which seeks to elevate one’s own wisdom above that of God’s or which is contrary to that which God has revealed about Himself and His desire for humankind[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is my perspective, yet I realize others see things differently and while I may not agree with various views I can respect and even understand that people have other ideas.[/FONT]

Villager

Of course it is permitted.
I believe that opinion to be wrong though and reserve the right to argue that point.
That's what discussion forums are for.
Discussion forums are for discussion, not for merely saying, "That's wrong." Particularly after one has invited the view that is 'wrong'. It looks like a propaganda exercise. A propaganda exercise gone wrong, perhaps.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Discussion forums are for discussion, not for merely saying, "That's wrong." Particularly ofter one has invited the view that is 'wrong'. It looks like a propaganda exercise. A propaganda exercise gone wrong, perhaps.

Discussing includes sharing of opinions and that´s what we are doing.

For starters, saying: "Witchcraft is evil because my bible says so and my bible know more about witchcraft because I have faith ( = blind belief) in it" Is hardly more than propaganda.

I love reflected discussion. Tell me when we are getting started.

Draka

Wonder Woman
It could be construed as libel.

Hm, and what could your opinion be construed as I wonder?

Oh, and one could only take it as a bad thing if one ascribes to your erroneous opinion that witchcraft is evil in the first place. You'd have to prove that is the case in order to make that claim. And as bible quotes won't hold up as proof anywhere but in a church...good luck. :p