• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Views of witchcraft

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
I am sure this must have been discussed here before, but I'm new here and I haven't seen any recent discussion of this topic. From your personal and religious standpoint, how do you view witchcraft?
I know some Christians have "problems" with it, but equally I know quite a few practicing Christian-Witches.
I am not quite sure how witchcraft is viewed by other religions these days.

Obviously since many (but not all) Pagans practice witchcraft in some form our views are usually less critical than some other religious views may be. But even within Paganism there is a lot of debate about the morals and ethics involved in using witchcraft and there is a wide diversity of opinions.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
I view it as a tool. It can be used for harm or weal, and the ethics of either such use must be determined by the individual caster and anyone else who either is aware of or affected by it.

And to be honest, I can be quoted as having said many times, that technically speaking, a Christian praying for you to be saved after you've expressed no interest is essentially black magick ;)

Villager

I am sure this must have been discussed here before, but I'm new here and I haven't seen any recent discussion of this topic. From your personal and religious standpoint, how do you view witchcraft?
I know some Christians have "problems" with it
Some people regard Christianity as a problem, anyway. Some of them become possessed by demons; though the symptoms are very rarely as explicit as is recorded in the New Testament, which does not expressly forbid divination, as the OT does. There is not too much evidence that divination is actually practised today, and if it is, it is kept well under wraps- truly occult, hidden, to most people, anyway. The devil does not like to give himself away- he 'dresses as an angel of light'. There are more dangers in his pious, respectable servants than in his 'evil', off-beat ones.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I know some Christians have "problems" with it, but equally I know quite a few practicing Christian-Witches.
I am not quite sure how witchcraft is viewed by other religions these days.

Obviously since many (but not all) Pagans practice witchcraft in some form our views are usually less critical than some other religious views may be. But even within Paganism there is a lot of debate about the morals and ethics involved in using witchcraft and there is a wide diversity of opinions.

*Shrug*
There is no reason to think that there is any such thing as 'real' magic, and I would consider people who think so to be a little silly, just like I consider people who believe in a god to be a little silly.
But, if it rocks your boat and you don't bother other people with it, knock yourself out. :D

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
*Shrug*
There is no reason to think that there is any such thing as 'real' magic, and I would consider people who think so to be a little silly, just like I consider people who believe in a god to be a little silly.
But, if it rocks your boat and you don't bother other people with it, knock yourself out. :D
I guess there are a lot of things in life that you think are "a little silly".

I am prepared to concede that many of the things I might describe as magic may one day be explained by science. I have a lot of respect for science actually. In the meantime I don't feel silly about using the word magic for things I can't explain any other way.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I guess there are a lot of things in life that you think are "a little silly".

You would be correct. ;)
Astrology, Crystal Healing, Auras, Souls, Ghosts, Gods, Alien Abductions, Homoeopathy, Magic, Psychics, Angels... I could be here all day but that should give you some idea.

I am prepared to concede that many of the things I might describe as magic may one day be explained by science.

Could you give me an example?

I have a lot of respect for science actually. In the meantime I don't feel silly about using the word magic for things I can't explain any other way.

Like I said, if it rocks your boat and you don't bother anyone else with it, who am I to tell you to lay it off. :D

Trey of Diamonds

From your personal and religious standpoint, how do you view witchcraft?

I see witchcraft the term as a label created by the Abrahamic religions to associate the mystical practices of pagan religions with Satan. I see the modern practice of witchcraft as an attempt to reconnect with a religious past long denied to us.

Erebus

Well as a few people know I remain agnostic about magic affecting the world around you (I don't think we can know for certain, we can only rule some things out. I've yet to see a magician throw a fire ball for example, but I've seen spells "work" although it would be all but impossible to determine cause and effect).

My opinion is that as an absolute minimum you're using psychology, drama and imagination. For this reason I always find it a little odd that some otherwise intelligent people genuinely see no purpose to it whatsoever. Still, each to their own I guess.

Villager

No, that isn't what witchcraft is.
Then why are opinions sought, if they are only to be contradicted flatly? This isn't a quiz, with prizes, surely? :)

We have yet to be informed what witchcraft is, in the terms of the OP. If it is nude dancing, how is it distinct from naturism? If it is healing, how is it different from alternative medicine? If it is alleged contact with the dead, how does it differ from spiritualism?